ISO RAM boot

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 27 April 2007 - 03:46 PM

The (old historical option) to boot from RAM in my opinion is obsolete.

The only advantage is that after booting into the CD drive a different CD can be inserted to start programs from that CD.
Disadvantages: It still does not allow to write into the system drive (the FS is still CDFS). Therefore an additional RAM drive is still needed for write operations.

The above advantage is also given by using nikzzzz's script to boot from image.
And that script does not have the disadvantages ...
nikzzzz's script has the additional advantage that the overall size of the ISO (depending on options) even can be smaller than the 'standard' ISO.

Therefore in the nativeEx_barebone project, I rebuilt the createISO script to a version w/o the RAM boot option.

Peter

#2 edborg

edborg

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 387 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 04 May 2007 - 03:03 PM

The (old historical option) to boot from RAM in my opinion is obsolete.

The only advantage is that after booting into the CD drive a different CD can be inserted to start programs from that CD.
Disadvantages: It still does not allow to write into the system drive (the FS is still CDFS). Therefore an additional RAM drive is still needed for write operations.

The above advantage is also given by using nikzzzz's script to boot from image.
And that script does not have the disadvantages ...
nikzzzz's script has the additional advantage that the overall size of the ISO (depending on options) even can be smaller than the 'standard' ISO.

Therefore in the nativeEx_barebone project, I rebuilt the createISO script to a version w/o the RAM boot option.

Peter

In addition to exchanging CDs (or USB sticks), another advantage is that it's much faster, and that's why I prefer RAM boot.
And I don't see any disadvantage, as one can write to the system drive if the FBWF.script is used, with or without Ram drive.

Anyway, why to remove it instead of leaving the choice to use it or not to use it? :confused1:

edborg

#3 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 04 May 2007 - 03:19 PM

In addition to exchanging CDs (or USB sticks), another advantage is that it's much faster, and that's why I prefer RAM boot.
And I don't see any disadvantage, as one can write to the system drive if the FBWF.script is used, with or without Ram drive.

Anyway, why to remove it instead of leaving the choice to use it or not to use it? :confused1:

edborg

nikzzzz's BootSDI is rather similar with the old RAM boot. The difference is that the boot image is not an ISO, but a compressed NTFS drive image.

Peter

#4 phox

phox

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 764 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 03:58 PM

nikzzzz's BootSDI is rather similar with the old RAM boot. The difference is that the boot image is not an ISO, but a compressed NTFS drive image.

Peter

Would it be possible to combine BootSDI.Script with
CreateBootLoaderISO.Script to have advantages of both?

#5 carfan

carfan

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 196 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 May 2007 - 05:00 PM

Would it be possible to combine BootSDI.Script with
CreateBootLoaderISO.Script to have advantages of both?

i'm having trouble understanding bootsdi. i guess i'm asking for a quick tutorial with some
examples of how to fill in the blanks in the script setup.

thnaks

#6 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 15 May 2007 - 05:04 PM

the blanks in the script setup

What do you mean with that?

Peter

#7 carfan

carfan

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 196 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 May 2007 - 05:21 PM

What do you mean with that?

Peter

well, when it says include file in the middle of the sdi screen is that a boot file or what type of file and where the box is on the bottom right and the check box of iso is that for an iso boot image or boot cd image to make multboot or what?

thanks

#8 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 15 May 2007 - 05:40 PM

well, when it says include file in the middle of the sdi screen is that a boot file or what type of file

The 'Include' gives you the ability to include a folder (maybe with subfolders) inside the ISO which has not been copied by any script.
A possible reason may be that you want to have some portable apps on your ISO. Then you can here define the path to them.
As a beginner leave this field empty.

where the box is on the bottom right and the check box of iso is that for an iso boot image or boot cd image to make multboot or what?

It does mean that you finally want to create an ISO. If this is unchecked 'nothing' happens. You do not see any result.

Generally for beginners: If you download a fresh nativeEx_barebone project, first leave all options unchanged.
Just fill in your actual path to the source CD or directory.

Than you have the guarantee to get a runnable ISO.

After the first successful ISO you should try to become familar with the system by changing options one at a time and viewing the result.

Peter

BTW: @carfan: Would you be so kindly and show your nationality flag?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users