Photo
- - - - -

Is there a true "Windows XP SP3 LiveCD" project?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Disco Makberto

Disco Makberto

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 10:04 AM

Dear e-readers,

Please let me ask you, is there a true "Windows XP SP3 LiveCD" project? By that I mean a project that can create a "Windows XP SP3 LiveCD". I know that an absolutely true (in the sense of a complete) "Windows XP SP3 LiveCD" is impossible to create, for all LiveCD's are strip down versions of Windows. However, an almost true "Windows XP SP3 LiveCD" for me would be one that is at least compatible with basic portable applications intended for "Window XP SP3". Unfortunately, all projects I know such as BartPE, WinBuilder, Reatogo, Ultimate Boot CD for Windows, etc., can create "Windows XP LiveCD's" up to SP2 but not SP3. I am familar with ETBoot which can create SP3-compatible discs, but the resulting discs are machine-specifc which is not the case with the other projects I mentioned.

Yes, I know. Before you ask me why I am still interested in "Windows XP" in 2015 while Microsoft already dumped it, please let me respectufully tell you that in asmuch as browsers (especially portable browsers) such as Firefox, Palemoon, Chrome, K-Meleon, etc., keep supporting "Windows XP", I will keep using "Windows XP". Of course, some of these browsers only support "Windows XP SP3"...hence more power to my search for a "Windows XP SP3 LiveCD"!

Cheers,

Carlos Albert

Disco Makberto

P.S.: Hi, Wonko/jaclaz (:

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 21 March 2015 - 12:48 PM

Ow, come on. :)

You cannot use unreferenced hearsay or possibly severely outdated info as a base for a request, WHAT/WHO/WHERE (EXACTLY) makes you think that (say) LiveXP won't work with SP3 sources? :dubbio:

http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=24101

http://reboot.pro/to...-in-winbuilder/

But also "plain" PEbuilder works fine, AFAIK/AFAICR, the only issue may be the .chm files (nothing that cannot be solved though):

http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=21570

http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=24429

When using PEBuilder, do not use nlite to integrate the service pack(s), use instead direct integration, build under XP (and not under Vista/7 which cause (still solvable) issues).

:duff:

Wonko

#3 Disco Makberto

Disco Makberto

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 06:07 AM

Hey, Wonko!

Thanks very much for replying.

Yes, there are some (or more than some) projects that can use "Windows XP SP3" as source, but I am referring to the results (the final liveCD disc). Perhaps I am wrong, and I would very happily stand corrected if I am. One way or another, as for I have been able to gather, and application intended for "Windows XP SP3", in order to function properly in that environment, reads a registry value of "0×00000300" at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Windows\CSDVersion. Similarly, an application intended for "Windows XP SP2", in order to function properly in that environment, reads a registry value of "0×00000200” at the same address. Do you know if any projects can produce liveCD's with any of these values? Also, while some applications intended for "Windows XP SP3" can work with "Windows XP SP2", some others do not. I am not sure exactly why they do not work, and I am sure there are more than one reason for this. Still,  I was reading something related to delay-load dependencies errors in pre-"Windows XP SP3" as it pertains to some internal DLL's, and that might be one of the reasons. I am not sure what they are or how they work. Still, unless a proper "Windows XP SP3 LiveCD" includes these updated DLL's, there might be problems with some applications. 

To test what I am saying, perhaps you (or any other member) can test, within a "Windows XP SP3 LiveCD", the free "Adobe Reader 11.0.08" that only works, in its 32-bit version, in "Windows XP SP3". This can be downloaded from here:

https://get.adobe.co...ws&standalone=1 .

Of course, this is the normal version and not a portable version, but I can make it portable for personal use.

Also, please excuse me if I am asking for too much. I know that you are busy and might not have time to test. That's okay. My humble intention is to be able to create a "Windows XP SP3 LiveCD" compatible with applications intended for "Windows XP SP3", especially portable applications.

Kindest regards,

Carlos Albert

Disco Makberto

#4 Disco Makberto

Disco Makberto

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 08:29 AM

P.S.: There is a better application for testing purposes as "Adobe Reader 11.0.08" is resource intensive. I am talking about "iTunes 12.1.1" for "Windows XP SP3" or higher. This application is known to work with "Windows XP SP3" and not with "Windows XP SP2" or lower, hence why I think it is suitable for my purposes. You can download it from here:

http://dl.filehorse....iTunesSetup.exe .

If any of you test this application with a "Windows XP SP3 LiveCD" and it works, please be so kind to let me know which project created it.

Cheers,

Carlos Albert

Disco Makberto

#5 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 24 March 2015 - 06:23 PM

No. :(

I guess you are still not having the base concept fully clear. :dubbio:

The ETboot (and the ETboot only) project is actually a "Live" XP, i.e. an XP INSTALL that has been modified in such a way as to be able to run from CD and making use of a read only backed (and "volatile") Registry.

ANY other project BartPE based or Winbuilder based (including UBCD4WIN, LiveXP and any BartPE build, including those that include XPE or Reatogo) are for building a PE (i.e. a Pre-installation Environment and NOT an XP) based on XP sources.

A PE is NOT a "Live" XP build, it is and remains a PE and it is different from a "real" XP, it is NOT a "stripped version of XP", it is another thing, a PE.

Each and every application (and particularly "complex" and "commercial" ones) may need any number of specific added Registry keys, or added files or even whole subsystems (otherwise not needed for base, or "normal" operation) in order ot work, or even furhter addition or tricks.

This is what normally a plugin (in the BartPE world) or a .script (in the Winbuilder world) provide a complete set of the *whatever* is need to be added to a build in order to support (i.e. allow to run) a given program.

Basically these plug-ins or .script "pre-install" a given program, adding *whatever* is needed in order to have the correct environment to let it run.

While "simple" application, particularly in the "portable" version need not any particular addition (and thus they work fine in the PE without the need of a plug-in or .script) most (as said the more "complex" and often the "commercial" ones) won't and a plugin or .script is needed.

So, given that they don't work "as they are" on an already "well fitted" PE, you have only two ways to reach your goal of having "Adobe Reader 11.0.08" and "iTunes 12.1.1" working in your PE based on XP SP3 (which is NOT a Live XP, but rather a PE 1.x):

1. find (or ask/beg for) a specific plugin or .script for each app
  2. learn how to trace dependencies and write a corresponding plugin or .script taking care of them for the specific programs

To be fair (and provided that your system(s) have enough RAM, which means in this case at least 2 Gb, there is another possibility, which is a fully RAM based "real" XP install, "universal" (which actually means largely working, and not really-really "universal") which is possible but far from easy to setup/build.

Wonko

• pscEx likes this

#6 Disco Makberto

Disco Makberto

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 10:30 PM

Hey, Wonko!

I am more than glad to hear from you.

Yes, indeed, I humbly accept the fact that I could be confused, or perhaps I am looking for something that is impossible to achieve. In any event, my experience has been that all applications (at least the ones that I have tried which are in the dozens), if they are intended for "Windows XP SP0 (AKA Windows XP RTM)", whether they are complex or simple, they are always compatible with PE 1.X. Sometimes I need to add what is is missing via "Depedency Walker", but there are always a way. Again, I am only talking here from my own experience. For instance, to remain consistent with the previous applications I talked about before (Adobe Reader and iTunes), if versions intended for "Windows XP SP0 (AKA Windows XP RTM)" are

used, they work. In the case of "Adobe Reader", if version 9.4.0 is used, it works. And in the case of "iTunes", if version 7.4.3 is used, it works. Both versions are intended for ""Windows XP SP0 (AKA Windows XP RTM)".

You can download "Adobe Reader 9.4.0" from here:

http://www.oldapps.c...obe=25?download .

Similarly, you can downlaod "iTunes 7.4.3" from here:

http://www.oldapps.c...nes=27?download .

The problem arises when an application is intended for "Windows XP SP3" like "Adobe Reader 11.0.08"  and "iTunes 12.1.1". If that is the case, then they don't work. Trying to find a solution, I thought, "If there were a WinPE LiveCD or something like that but compatible with SP3, then my problem would be solved". Thus, I came here to ask for help. You know, I was thinking in the lines of "Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs SP3" as liveCD or something in that vein. While "Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs SP3" is different to "Windows XP SP3", applications intended for "Windows XP SP3" are compatible with "Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs SP3". Of course, as far as I know, there isn't any liveCD of "Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs", and even if it were, it might be machine-specific and not universal. But the basisc idea remains the same: finding a project that can create a liveCD compatible with applications intended for "Windows XP SP3". 

I appreciate very much the fact that you are mentioning some alternatives. As for ETBoot, I think that the resulting liveCD is machine-specific and not universal. Then, as for the fully RAM-based "Windows XP", are you talking about "Diskless Angel" (though perhaps there are other similar projects I am not aware of)?. Again, with "Diskless Angel", the resulting liveCD is machine-specific. Still, once again, please excuse me if I am asking for too much.

Thank you very much for your time and attention.

Carlos Albert

Disco Makberto

P.S.: Fixing some typos. It is not SPO but SP0 (:

Edited by Disco Makberto, 24 March 2015 - 10:36 PM.

#7 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 25 March 2015 - 11:06 AM

Diskless Angel is an obsolete approach.

FORGET (temporarily) about the CD thing.

Create a "Universal XP" running from USB device:

http://reboot.pro/to...-and-windows-7/

Tune it to your needs.

Make sure that it works as you like it from RAMDISK.

Adapt it to boot/run from CD (I presume actually DVD).

Please understand how the approach (when and IF you will be able to have it working from Optical Media) will probably anyway make little sense, because it will most probably take AGES to load/boot, unless you manage to make it very, very minimal.

Wonko

#8 Disco Makberto

Disco Makberto

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 09:58 AM

Dear Wonko,

Thank you very much for your advice. The "Universal XP" by member wimb that you are mentioning is worth considering. Alternatively, please be so kind to let me know, what are the shortcomings of "Diskless Angel" aside from the fact that it doesn't produce a "universal" end product? While we are at it, just for the sake of a better understanding, do you know of any tutorial(s) for "Diskless Angel"? I haven't been able to find any, and I don't have a clue about how it works.

As it pertains to speeds on optical media, some SATA Blu-Ray drives can achieve a read speed of 12X which is about 54 MB/s. This is, theoretically, very similar to the speed of USB Hi-Speed (USB 2.0) which equals 60 MB/s. One of such Blu-Ray drives is the LG BH14NS40. You can read more about it here:

http://www.ncix.com/...ay-e8-71586.htm .

Unfortunately, these type of drives are relatively expensive as of now, March 2015. The only BD drives that are relatively inexpensive (at least some of them) are the slimline tray-loaded drives, but I am not a big fan of them. Still, I like the slimline slot-loaded BD drives, but they are quite rare.

Before I close, here is a nice webpage about transfer rates for different devices:

http://en.wikipedia....evice_bit_rates .

Take care,

Carlos Albert

Disco Makberto

#9 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1469 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 10:29 AM

some SATA Blu-Ray drives can achieve a read speed of 12X which is about 54 MB/s.

This is linear read speed. Irrevelant to flat files at media.
Random access time is terrible slow at optical media.
Current approaches read a image from optical media to RAM: fast access time to single files at RAM disk.
Choose your project wisely.

#10 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 28 March 2015 - 10:55 AM

Probably it is just me, but I don' t get it. :frusty:

As of now, March 2015, the Nasa (or Sony :w00t:) most probably have optical drives with a speed comparable to a SAS 15000 RPM drive of last year, and if you know the right people and bribe them adequately you can have one for less that US$ 1,000,000.00, and the discs (which are WORM) cost a mere 120,000.00 US$ each, what gives? :dubbio:

A "universal" thingy is - or at least should - something that adapts to more than one machine and that can boot any of them - the common denominator of "common" machines (or at lest the ones you will have access to without a security clearance and a NSA badge) are just two:

1. a USB 2.0 bus <- USB 3.0 machines are not yet very common
  2. a DVD drive <- and NOT a blu-ray drive and NOT one of the high speed ones and NOT the Nasa/Sony very fast one

#1 is faster, better, the device (a common USB stick) is more portable, it can be re-configured/modified/rewritten much more easily than ANY optical media, most of them can be configured as two LUN's, with the first one being a CD/DVD like device.

#2 is slower, worse, the media is more delicate mechanically, it is a common experience to make a number of coasters when developing.

Of course, and this is the good thing about freedom :), you are free to choose yourself the device (or  media) that you believe is better or more suited to your specific goal, even if you only fancy it, but my advice is to try to be practical.

About Diskless Angel, read here:

http://reboot.pro/to...diskless-angel/

then do whatever you see fit, google is your friend, and in this case also the Wayback Machine.

Wonko

#11 Disco Makberto

Disco Makberto

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:22 AM

Hi, cbob!

Thanks for your comments.

It appears that "Diskless Angel" reads from an image on an optical disc, so perhaps the speed issues are minimized. At any rate, I might end up doing both "Universal XP" and "Diskless Angel", assuming I don't get any serious bumps on the road.

Cheers,

Carlos Albert

Disco Makberto

#12 Disco Makberto

Disco Makberto

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:45 AM

Hi again, Wonko!

Yes, I am familiar with some of these non-commercial pre-releases and/or prototypes of non-so-ordinary products. For instance, I remember the 5" Magneto Opcial Disc, by Thompson, I believe. This was some years before Taiyo Yuden invented and commercialized the very first CD-R. Of course, Sony went on later on to commercialize its own magneto-optical MiniDisc, but that is a different story.

Yes, I agree with you. USB flash drives (and memory cards, for that matter) are very useful. I use them to create, test and fine-tune my portable applications. And I keep them there even if I make copies (of the final product) to optical media.

Thank you really a lot for your information about "Diskless Angel". I didn't know it was avaialble on the "Wayback Machine". As I told you, I was being totally unsucessful in finding a tutorial for it.

Finally, as you are correctly poiting out, I migth end up with a non-practical product....still, at least I hope to enjoy the journey. As rare as it might seem, I have quite some would-be portable applications, and they never really worked. But I still keep them as I reminder that I tried...And I might even re-visit some of them if I am successful with a working "Windows XP SP3"!

All my best to everybody!

Carlos Albert

Disco Makberto

#13 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 31 March 2015 - 09:32 AM

I will try to write this slowly. :dubbio:

Diskless Angel is (was) a nice product, that came in two versions, a Freeware (with limited capacity) and a Commercial (unlimited) one.

Essentially it is(was) a (bootable) RAMDISK driver, that at the time was developed as a replacement for MS's own ramdisk.sys (which was limited/awkward in the use as bootable ramdisk and that - because a concurrent limitation in the loaders when booting - maxed out at around 512 Mb).

Later a number of other bootable ramdisk drivers were developed, among them two (both developed/published on reboot.pro) Firadisk and Winvblock, that have as well a good grade of integration with grub4dos, thus allowing a flexible set of new projects/approaches.

A list of ramdisk and filedisk drivers is maintained here:

http://reboot.pro/fo...s-firadisk-etc/

http://reboot.pro/to...ledisk-drivers/

Nowaday (year 2015) it makes much more sense to use one of these drivers because they have been already used successfully in any number of projects, they have proved to be very stable, they have a flexible integration, etc., etc.

Essentially when you insist on Diskless Angel you are doing digital archeology, nothing "wrong" about it by itself, of course, but it makes little sense to develop something "new" using tools for which there are newer and better replacements, particularly because the free version of Diskless Angel was (if I recall correctly) limited in size and/or slowed down, while you have new, completely free (both as in freedom as in free beer) ramdisk drivers that work better, or faster or both.

Wonko

#14 Disco Makberto

Disco Makberto

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 08:39 AM

Greetings, Wonko!

I appreciate your new recommendations: Firadisk and Winvblock. In any event, please let me ask you, are any of these capable of producting a BIOS-bootable LiveUSB or BIOS-bootable LiveCD/LiveDVD?

I am not really settled for "Diskless Angel"; I am just contemplating it as an option. And, as you are correctly pointing out, it is old. Indeed, I suppose in part due to its being old, I cannot find an easy-to-follow tutorial, not even on the "Wayback Machine". Quite some links are still dead even there. But perhaps I can still find it if I keep looking for it.

Thumbs up,

Carlos Albert

Disco Makberto

#15 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:21 AM

I appreciate your new recommendations: Firadisk and Winvblock. In any event, please let me ask you, are any of these capable of producting a BIOS-bootable LiveUSB or BIOS-bootable LiveCD/LiveDVD?

Is there a difficult part :unsure: in :

Later a number of other bootable ramdisk drivers were developed, among them two (both developed/published on reboot.pro) Firadisk and Winvblock, that have as well a good grade of integration with grub4dos, thus allowing a flexible set of new projects/approaches.

Wonko

#16 Disco Makberto

Disco Makberto

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 06:27 AM

Howdy, Wonko!

I am sorry for my plain ignorance but, yes, it is hard for me to understand how to integrate Grub4DOS, Firadisk and/or Winvblock, plus "Windows XP SP3" into a BIOS-bootable LivCD/LiveDVD. But I am doing my job. If we go here:

http://microsaint.na..._bootable_CDROM ,

we can read, in relevant part:

"In GRUB for DOS, you can use grldr to create bootable CDROM:

mkisofs -R -b grldr -no-emul-boot -boot-load-seg 0x1000 -o bootable.iso iso_root
   mkisofs -R -b grldr -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -o grldr.iso iso_root

grldr and menu.lst should be placed at the root directory of CDROM image.

The above two commands can both create a bootable CDROM, but they are not totally the same.

The first one tells BIOS to load the whole grldr. However, some buggy BIOS might ignore it and load only a portion of the file, typically one sector (2048 bytes). This will cause the program to fail.

The second one tells BIOS to load only the first sector (2048 bytes), and the program loads the rest from CDROM. This method is safer, it should work for most BIOS.

Note: you can optionally use the -boot-info-table option, but the info table will be ignored by the program."

One way or another, this pre-requires having an ISO beforehand. But that should not be a problem. I can install "Windows XP SP3" and use something like "ImgBurn" to creatre an ISO:

http://www.imgburn.c...nshots#isobuild .

The part that confuses me the most is knowing where to place or how to use Firadisk and/or Winvblock as part of the ISO.

Before I close, please let me kindly indicate that I am not looking for a multiboot solution within my internal hard drive but rather a LiveCD/LiveDVD. But we are getting there which is great.

Until soon,

Carlos Albert

Disco Makberto

#17 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1469 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 07:58 AM

where to place or how to use Firadisk and/or Winvblock as part of the ISO.

Did you do your homework so far?
Can you boot XP VHD image from a USB drive now?

FORGET (temporarily) about the CD thing.

Create a "Universal XP" running from USB device:

Tune it to your needs.

Make sure that it works as you like it from RAMDISK.

Firadisk and/or Winvblock are part of USB drive at this level.
Transfer the files from the USB drive to a ISO image.

#18 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 03 April 2015 - 08:34 AM

@cdob

Thanks. :)

@Disco Makberto

I won't re-type slowly post #7, you can read it fine.

But I will repeat the base concepts.

The general idea behind a technical forum and this kind of "request" threads is that you come here looking/asking for some suggestions/ideas/answers and someone else who, by definition and until the opposite is proven, knows much more than you on the specific topic at hand, provides (hopefully) what was asked.

Now, you would like, for reasons which are your own and that BTW do not fully pass a logical check, a "Universal" XP SP3 and you want it on optical media.

You were shown the most convenient path to reach that goal, which is made essentially of 3 (three) steps:

1. Create a "Universal" XP SP3 in an image on a USB stick loaded through a RAMDISK..

2. Modify/change/tune it up to youir needs (adding or remving programs, etc.)

3. Once this have been done successfully, transfer the image from USB stick to optical media.

FORGET (temporarily) about steps #2 and #3, your next priority is step #1, i.e. it is to create a Windows XP SP3 (in an image to be loaded in RAM) working from USB stick.

You were suggested - because it is the easiest, simplest way - to use specifically a tool:

for me (or for cdob :worship:) and for a number of other members the use of that tool represents one of the alternatives, because we contributed (a little) to its development, and as well to a large number of other similar projects or however methods to boot Windows NT based stuff in the course of many (too many :dubbio:) years, there is more than one way to skin a cat, and we know quite a few of them ways (though the cat is never happy).

For you that is NOT an alternative, it is besides what has been suggested to you[1], your ONLY practical chance to reach your final goal without spending weeks or months (maybe years) to repeat all the experiments that led to the release of that tool or of similar ones.

Of course you can start from scratch, repeat all the experiments carried on 911CD and reboot.pro by several people in the last 8 years or so, get entangled in the same problems found, solve them one by one and finally get the EXACT SAME result, but WHEN will you get to it?

You have a (relatively simple) almost fully automated method to reach step #1 WHY (the heck) would you not take advantage of it? :w00t:

Don' t be fooled by the fact that the tool is automated/GUI/friendly, it will take anyway you several attempts and lots of tests/studying to get the hang of the way the mentioned tool works, and to learn how to use it properly, so you'd better get started.

Wonko

[1] Please consider how this suggestion was given to you because you asked for it, and logically you asked for it because you were not able by yourself to find an alternative to it.

Compare with points #f. (supplement to "common sense advice"): http://reboot.pro/to...82-board-rules/

#19 Disco Makberto

Disco Makberto

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 03:40 AM

Hello, cdob!

Thank you for your great advice! I was theoretically stuck on the issue of trasferring the "bootable USB" to the "bootable ISO". I thought that I needed sort of a special (special for me) tool to achieve this. However, if a plain converting of USB to ISO using something like ImgBurn works, then that is something that can be easily done. Again, I was not aware of this (:

Take care,

Carlos Albert

Disco Makberto

#20 Disco Makberto

Disco Makberto

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 04:22 AM

Good day, Wonko!

Thank you for your comments.

Indeed, I can humbly and at the same time proudly say that I am a layman when it comes to knowing how to make an OS bootable. At any rate, I think I am learning more everyday.

I am sorry if I am taking the wrong approach. However, Wonko, I have never said that "Universal XP" is out of the question. If you read post number 11, I said: "I might end up doing both "Universal XP" and "Diskless Angel", assuming I don't get any serious bumps on the road." At this point, "Diskless Angel" seems unlikely because I cannot find a tutorial for it. By the way, I don't see anything wrong in undertaking more than one project.

As to why I prefer CD's/DVD's over USB flash drives or memory cards, there isn't any completely satisfactory explanation. All comes down to personal preferences. By saying so, I would also like to emphasize that there isn't anything wrong with USB flash drives or memory cards, and they are very useful. Just for comparison purposes and nothing else, in the music world (disclaimer: I am not a music expert at all), perhaps you have heard that some people prefer vinyl over audio CD's (AKA CD-DA). They say that vinyl reproduces sound better than CD's and give plenty of technical reasons for this. And I think they are right. Still, I prefer audio CD's (AKA CD-DA) over vinyl.

Cheers,

Carlos Albert

Disco Makberto

#21 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1469 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 07:49 AM

converting of USB to ISO using something like ImgBurn works

Yes, ImgBurn works at given task.

If you write more details, a more detailed suggestion can be given.
Which hardware do you like to use?
As known Grub4dos uses BIOS routines. Be aware:
old BIOS access a optical media at PIO mode: image reading is slow.
The BIOS uses often DMA mode at AHCI hardware: image reading is faster.

#22 Disco Makberto

Disco Makberto

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 10:51 AM

Dear cdob,

Thank you for your courteous reply.

I have a Dell Dimension 4600. I think I have an A06 Bios, but I am in the process of upgrading it to A12 once I learn how to do it properly. I am planning on doing this via floppy, though I have to order a floppy first, of course. I have heard of doing this via a CD-ROM, but some people say it is better to do it via floppy. Anyway, my internal drive with "Windows XP SP3" has been completely full of viruses and stuff like that for many years now. For this reason, I rely exclusively on LiveCD's to do everything, from general browsing, paying bills, listening to music, watching videos, and, most importantly, I use my LiveCD's to run applications that interest me via their portabilization. I don't miss my internal drive at all. As a matter of fact, I have grown to love my LiveCD's (and, yes, there are other equally valid approaches). However, as time passed and applications were upgraded, I discovered that applications intended for "Windows XP SP3" are not compatible with WinPE or similar projects and, as such, cannot be made portable to work in those environments. Since then, I have been dreaming of having a LiveCD of a true "Windows XP SP3" simply to make it work with those portable applications. And, yes, I know that "Windows XP SP3" is old and unsupported, but if want to be sincere with you, I have to tell you that that is what I like, and I don't want to imply that Windows Vista, Windows 7, etc., are worse. It is simply that I like "Windows XP SP3" more. Of course, I don't want to be considered stubborn, and when applications (particularly browsers) such as Firefox, PaleMoon, etc. stop supporting "Windows XP SP3", I will simply stop using "Windows XP" altogether.

I am sorry if I am making a typo or unclear thoughts, but I am a bit tired now.

Take care,

Carlos Albert

Disco Makberto

#23 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 04 April 2015 - 02:19 PM

Well, it is what,  one week that you were given a suggested set of steps to take (on your request).

And today you are still discussing of "sex of angels" or of "some people say" that " it is better to do it via floppy"  and the usual nonsense (not that it is by itself nonsense but that has nothing to do with the topic at hand) about AGAIN "some people say"  that vinyl sounds better than CD.

Some people say that it is better via floppy? Fine.

Some people like vinyil better than CD's? Fine.

Some people like CD's better than vinyl? Fine.

You like CD/DVD's better than USB sticks? Fine as well.

Are any of these opinions or preferences in any way supported by cold facts/evidence or pass a logical test? :unsure:

No, they are what the one (or the other) believes, usually in perfect good faith, but that's all.

This does not mean that everyone should not be free to choose and use whatever he/she likes better, only that "I like this better" is a good reason, the "This is better because ..." needs some solid facts behind.

JFYI, "some people say":

http://www.theflatea.../tiki-index.php

However, in one week's time I would have already:

1. wiped my hard disk clean
  2. reinstalled a virus free, optimized, fully working, XP SP3
  3. tried building between 3 and 17 times the "Universal XP" on USB stick, finally succeeding in having a working build
  4. re built-it between 2 and 15 times attempting to modify it to suit my needs and finally have the "right" one
  5. asked n relevant questions on the board at each of the previous steps

and I would be right now experimenting on how to have it working from DVD, I would have already used that command line, and,  seeing how it did not work, I would have found this thread:

http://reboot.pro/to...g-and-grub4dos/

where essentially it is explained how the mkisofs info in the grub4dos guide, which is here:

http://diddy.boot-la...os/Grub4dos.htm

or in the older page you found, coming from the defunct grub4dos wiki, is not suitable for something booting a Windows NT of some kind (the only filesystem that will go on the CD if you use that command line will be RockRidge), and I would be here asking for support in the last missing step.

Imgburn would do nicely to "convert" the working USB to a DVD, point being is that you have not (yet) anything working to "convert".

As cdob suggested earlier, you should do your homework first thing.

Wonko

#24 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1469 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 06:31 PM

I have a Dell Dimension 4600.

http://en.wikipedia....ion#4xxx_series
A 865 chipset, AGP graphic card and a P4 processor, sold with 512 MB RAM.
The machine is historic.
Keep to existing LiveCD if you use 512 MB RAM, do not create a new one.
Or try create a new ETBoot, include the new applications.

How much RAM does machine pocess today?

my internal drive with "Windows XP SP3" has been completely full of viruses and stuff like that for many years now.

Reinstall XP, better a current official supported OS.

For this reason, I rely exclusively on LiveCD's to do everything, from general browsing, paying bills, listening to music, watching videos, and, most importantly, I use my LiveCD's to run applications that interest me via their portabilization.

Try another prebuild LiveCD, e.g. Lubuntu.

Since then, I have been dreaming of having a LiveCD of a true "Windows XP SP3" simply to make it work with those portable applications.

I guess, nobody tried to include a current Acrobat Reader to a XP PE.

And, yes, I know that "Windows XP SP3" is old and unsupported, but if want to be sincere with you, I have to tell you that that is what I like, and I don't want to imply that Windows Vista, Windows 7, etc., are worse. It is simply that I like "Windows XP SP3" more.

Can you add more RAM to your machine?

#25 Disco Makberto

Disco Makberto

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 08:15 AM

Hello, Wonko!

Thank you for your opinion and your links.

Yes, I can provide some links to back up what I am trying to convey, but as you are correctly poining out, these issues don't add anything to the real discussion, so I am not going to post those links. However, in a nutshell, some pople say (or, better yet, some people have posted on X or Y forum(s) on the Internet) that it is better to flash the bios via a floppy disk because, by doing so, a copy of the old bios can be saved on the floppy while at the same time updating the bios on the computer. This cannot be achieved via CD-R. By the same token, "some people say" (or so) that vinyls are superior to CD-DA's because CD-DA's use such a compression method that leaves out high frequencies and low frequencies which are still present on vinyls. Maybe I should have added those details from the beginning, but maybe not, for these issues don't add anything to the real discussion.

Yes, I need to put into practice all theoretical approaches. But I don't see anything wrong in identifying all possible scenarios before doing so. I respect the fact that eveybody is different, and I could be considered non-practical or slow, but I am being true to myself.

Best regards,

Carlos Albert

Disco Makberto

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users