Photo
- - - - -

Has anyone used Easy2Boot on a Surface Pro 3?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kelemvor33

kelemvor33
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 February 2015 - 04:12 PM

I can't get it to work.  It doesn't recognize that the drive is even there.  It sees it inside of Windows just fine, but when I try to boot from the USB drive it jsut skips it and goes into Windows normally.  Don't know if it's just me or what.

#2 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 18 February 2015 - 04:38 PM

If it is UEFI, then you may need to disable secure boot and enable Legacy CSM mode.

#3 kelemvor33

kelemvor33
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 February 2015 - 04:53 PM

I turned off Secure Boot Control and TPM but still the same results.

Some info and a screenshot are here.  There's not much in the Bios/Firmware that is editable.

http://winsupersite....access-firmware

#4 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 18 February 2015 - 05:02 PM

May be UEFI only so it cannot boot non-UEFI payloads - e.g. latest clonezilla's contain 32-bit and 64-bit UEFI boot files.

You can make a .imgPTN file from this and add the .imgPTN file to the E2B file. Then boot it using QEMU or VBox or on a Legacy system and select the Clonezilla .imgPTN menu to get to the CSM menu. Then unplug it and try to boot it from your Surface Pro..

#5 Rootman

Rootman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 382 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 08:28 PM

I have not done it on a Surface Pro but DID use it on a Dell Venue Pro.  What Steve said about UEFI is probably true.  The Dell had the typical Secure Boot / Legacy Boot choices. It also had a ENABLE USB BOOT or some such choice as well.  I had to enable that to get to the boot as it did the same thing your Surface Pro did, never detected the USB drive as a bootable media.

#6 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 18 February 2015 - 10:32 PM

http://windowsitpro....s-7-surface-pro

#7 Rootman

Rootman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 382 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 01:18 AM

That seems par for the course for a piece of MS hardware to drop all support for legacy and make things a total PITA.  I'm going to have to make an .imgPTN of my 64 bit PE ISOs in case I run into one of these devices that just won't do CSM at all.

Curiously the article states that Windows 7 is not UEFI compatible,  I've installed it via UEFI quite a few times.  I've also noticed that at least the Win 7 64 ISO I have lacks the proper \efi\boot\bootx64.efi file so I borrowed one from a Windows 8.1 OS ISO and inserted it into the ISO.  I do see little benefit of the UEFI boot method on a PC  with a drive less than 2 TB though and normally just use MBR.

#8 crashnburn

crashnburn

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 136 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 08:08 AM

I turned off Secure Boot Control and TPM but still the same results.

Some info and a screenshot are here.  There's not much in the Bios/Firmware that is editable.

http://winsupersite....access-firmware

So what did you end up doing? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users