4 replies to this topic

#1 kelemvor33

kelemvor33
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 February 2015 - 07:02 PM

So, I created an E2B flash drive and copied over ISO files for Server 2012, Server 2012 R2, and Win 8.1.  I tested it on a Dell laptop and it all worked perfectly fine.

I then tried to use it on a Dell R630 server and didn't have any luck.  I get the menu, I make my choice, it shows the initial Windows loading screen with the DOS style bar that goes across the bottom, and then I get an error.

Windows fails to start.

File: \Windows\System32\boot\winload.exe

Info: The application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors.

The server is brand new, just out of the box.  I checked and it is not using UEFI mode.

I took the same flash drive back to a different Dell Laptop and tried again and it loaded up and installed just fine.

I tried all of the ISOs that I have and they all do the same thing.

Anyone run into this and hopefully know a fix?  :)

#2 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6953 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films,guitars, www.easy2boot.com
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 10 February 2015 - 07:11 PM

When you get the E2B menu - choose the grub4dos 0.4.6a option - then choose the USB driver option (use a USB 2.0 port for the E2B USB drive).

If the USB driver detects the drive, then try the Windows ISO again.

#3 tinybit

tinybit

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1126 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 11 February 2015 - 04:03 AM

I encountered several newish machines that just could not install windows xp. Only win7 and win8 were allowed to install. Although the machines support normal BIOS, they cannot install xp.

#4 Zoso

Zoso

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 640 posts
  •  
    Isle of Man

Posted 11 February 2015 - 05:50 AM

I encountered several newish machines that just could not install windows xp. Only win7 and win8 were allowed to install. Although the machines support normal BIOS, they cannot install xp.

at what point of install? wow that is starnge, I wonder what it could be?

my older Dell laptop has a peculiar BIOS. lots of strange behavior when booting various USB. eg. some USB wont boot unless there is a HDD present, others will boot without HDD present.

some will boot with only a certain HDD present but not other HDD.

thats just what I recall but that dell has caused me all kinds of wasted time trying experimental boot senarios

#5 kelemvor33

kelemvor33
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 February 2015 - 04:30 PM

OK, so we figured it out.  ARGH!  Turns out when the RAID was setup, the Virtual Drives didn't Initialize so they were in some funky state.  I tried using our normal image and that didn't work either which led me to the solution.

I just reinitialized the drives and tried again and it's working fine now.  *sigh*

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users