3 replies to this topic

#1 Blackbeauty

Blackbeauty

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 09 February 2015 - 05:47 AM

I have set the sanpolicy of my win8PE to 3 so that all internal and external disks get offline. It is said that the diskpart couldn't change the settings and make disks online when the sanpolicy was set to 3. But during my experiment I could able to make a pendrive online using diskpart commands(ie. online disk and clear readonly). Some times it worked and other times it won't (showing virtual disk service error). And when I get succeeded in making disk online,I could even create a file in the pendrive from an application runs from win pe. Please clarify this.

If it is possible to make some selected disks online using diskpart what is the correct procedure that always gives positive result ?.

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 09 February 2015 - 09:56 AM

I don't  think there is a definite answer to this.

The key is most probably in a combination of removable vs. fixed, or hotswappable vs. non-hotswappable, or "internal" vs. "external", etc., and even the actual chipset/bus drivers may have a role in this. :unsure:

Some notes are here, JFYI:

http://www.msfn.org/...ive-on-c-drive/

:duff:

Wonko

• Blackbeauty likes this

#3 Blackbeauty

Blackbeauty

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 10 February 2015 - 09:18 AM

Thanks Wonko ...
Actually I want to make a Win 8 FE with all internal and external disks offline. And there should be a provision to make a selected disk online(Usually usb pendrive or portable disk) for the purpose of saving forensic analysis results. Is there any other solution exists ?

I got some ideas from the link you provided but none of them succeeded.

Edited by Blackbeauty, 10 February 2015 - 09:28 AM.

#4 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1069 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 February 2015 - 06:59 PM

@Blackbeauty
These topics might be of interest to you -In regards to making a selected disk Online - try using Colin Ramsden's Write Protect Tool (WProtect.exe) - see http://www.ramsdens....k/download.html. This tool will only work in 32-bit WinFE unless your 64-bit build includes WOW64 support.

An alternative is erwan.l's Clonedisk - which is available in 32 and 64-bit versions.

Regards,

Misty
  • Blackbeauty likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users