- One controller is a part of the Intel SouthBridge ICH10R,
- One JMB363 supporting 1 PATA port + 2 SATA ports
- One JMB362 (supporting 2 SATA ports)/JMB361 (1 SATA port + 1 PATA port), in which only 1 eSATA port is used. Not sure which exact controller.
A 1TB HDD connected to the Intel SATA ports hosts a Windows 7 installation, which, till date, has been no trouble at all.
My issues :
- Very Slow boot : Normal boot is very slow, even loading the boot menu (F8) takes a heck of a long time, with a continuous HDD LED glow. I always wondered why that must be the case.
- Frequent corruption when dual booting : This was a long and annoying set of troubling problems that kept recurring, with one windows, then the other, though the culprit was definitely something on Windows 8. Witness : http://www.sevenforu...0x000000b6.html
- Extremely SLOW Windows 8 "Fast Startup" : What was a moderately slow annoying delay becomes a 10-minute frustrating wait when "Fast startup" AKA Hybrid boot is enabled in Windows 8. The circling dots slow to a 1FPS crawl! Not surprisingly the same thing happens when using Hibernate.
- Unavailability of HDD SMART info : SMART was not available for the external HDD, which was puzzling, because the other Windows reads it just fine.
(There might be a delay of a few hours if some other work comes up though.)