Photo
- - - - -

Has anyone found a solution to XP-PE turning off new PCs?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:53 PM

I recently ran a few times into the problem, that the image of my XP based PE would load fine on a recent computer, just to turn the computer off, only moments later.

I have no idea, what exactly causes this.
The only workaround i found thus far is, using a non-ACPI HAL in the PE, which causes other problems later though.

Has anyone found a better, less drastic solution?

:cheers:

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14713 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 26 July 2014 - 04:24 PM

Queer. :unsure:

• Can you list one or two models of "recent" computers where this happened? (I mean any particular "newish" hardware "in common" between the ones that are affected by this issue? Is it not something connected - I seem to remember something similar on some of Wimb's projects - with AMD vs. Intel?) :dubbio:
  • Did this happen with NaughtyPE?
  • If yes, did it happen with NaughtyPe_P or with NaughtyPe_P? :whistling:

:duff:

Wonko

#3 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:07 PM

It happend on Intel H71 and H87 based computers.

The affected PE were:
- NaughtyPE_P
- and NaughtyPE_P ;)
- LiveXP
- BartPE XPE
- XP Install

It's actually from the XP Install, that i've got the found solution from.

#4 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14713 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:54 PM

It's actually from the XP Install, that i've got the found solution from.

You mean something connected with SETUPLDR.BIN/NTDETECT.COM?

I am not sure to understand, you have found a solution and you won't tell or are you looking for a solution? :unsure:

Or are you just using the "non-ACPI solution" by "forcing" the HAL (how exactly)?

Which problems do you have with this "later"? :dubbio:

Random thought, and just for experiment. :ph34r:

Can you try with a "hybridized" PE booting?

Something along the lines of:

http://reboot.pro/to...e-fast-boot-pe/

I mean, is the "issue" with the "detection" of the HAL or with a failure of the HAL to work on that hardware?

Wonko

#5 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:53 PM

You mean something connected with SETUPLDR.BIN/NTDETECT.COM?

Nope! Not connected to either. Both work just fine.

I am not sure to understand, you have found a solution and you won't tell or are you looking for a solution? :unsure:

I have found the "Force non-ACPI HAL solution", but i don't like it. It's like driving a screw into a board with a hammer.

"forcing" the HAL (how exactly)?
Which problems do you have with this "later"? :dubbio:

A.) By making sure the HAL n the PE is a non ACPI one.
b.) All ACPI funktionality get's lost and no device can enter any reduced power state.

I mean, is the "issue" with the "detection" of the HAL or with a failure of the HAL to work on that hardware?

Clearly the later. Or maybe it's some driver using ACPI.
Like i said above, i don't know exactly, why it happens. Could be XP sending the shutdown command or the BIOS shutting down because XP caused a problem.
What i know is, it's not a blue screen event.

#6 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14713 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:15 AM

Maybe it is connected to the "multimedia" aspect of your NaughtyPE (like video/audio), but that would not be an issue in a "basic" LiveXP or during the XP install. :unsure:

Are you sure it is a "real" shutdown (or it is the screen going blank - please read as black - suddenly) like an issue (I remember having them - blanking, not shutdowns - with the actual video card being ) or with some kind of sleep/hybernate mode?

It cannot logically be a driver, as a driver will *always* AFAIK cause a BSOD, from how you describe it, it does seems like the ACPI issuing a shutdown command of some kind.

And this happens during XP install but not once the XP is installed?

Or you haven't tried the latter?

Possibly if the event happens on a "full" XP install, *something* may be written to the Event Log and/or possibly can be logged through a complete bootlog with procmon. :dubbio:

Wonko

#7 betrand

betrand

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 467 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:16 PM

Have you tried with simpler XPCLI?

#8 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14713 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:55 PM

Have you tried with simpler XPCLI?

Which HAL does your XPCLI use? :unsure:

Wonko

#9 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 01:53 PM

Maybe it is connected to the "multimedia" aspect of your NaughtyPE (like video/audio), but that would not be an issue in a "basic" LiveXP or during the XP install. :unsure:

Like i wrote above, it happens also on a XP install. Simple PE are affected in the same way.

Are you sure it is a "real" shutdown (or it is the screen going blank - please read as black - suddenly) like an issue (I remember having them - blanking, not shutdowns - with the actual video card being ) or with some kind of sleep/hybernate mode?

It's a real shutdown. The computer turns off. No sleep no hybernation.

It cannot logically be a driver, as a driver will *always* AFAIK cause a BSOD, from how you describe it, it does seems like the ACPI issuing a shutdown command of some kind.

Then the question would be, why should XP send a shutdown command during boot-up?

And this happens during XP install but not once the XP is installed?

Once one disables ACPI during install, the installed XP will be a non-ACPI one too.

Possibly if the event happens on a "full" XP install, *something* may be written to the Event Log and/or possibly can be logged through a complete bootlog with procmon.

Havn't tryed this. But if i remember correctly, a XP install writes also an error log, doesn't it? There was nothing on the HDD.

Install of XP / Bootup of PE works fine during the textbased phase (no ACPI available), then once switched to GUI mode (ACPI becomes available), it takes about 2 - 3 seconds, then the computer turns off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users