Photo
- - - - -

Transfer Thinkpad Win7 Instance to New 4K Win8.1(conserve) Laptop to a Partition/ Img/ vhd?

windows activation vhd image transfer migrate dual boot windows 7 windows 8

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 crashnburn

crashnburn

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 136 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:00 AM

Transfer Thinkpad Win7 Instance to New 4K Win8.1(conserve) Laptop to a Partition/ Img/ vhd? 

Posted here and was suggested to go VHD. What are the alternative routes?

CONCISE VERSION:
Let me BREAK it INTO STEPS of what needs to be done. Please guide on the steps that I am asking: 

1)
Existing Win7 SP1 on OLD Thinkpad Laptop - SLIC 2.1 Enabled
GENERALIZE and
then IMPLANT TO 
New Toshiba Laptop (Win 8.1 Preinstalled) by Repartitioning and Creating space for Win7 SP1 partiation 

( I am guessing the above can be done using Acronis/ Paragon etc. How to ensure the following stuff works out)

2) THEN: 
- Enable Dual Boot (What would you use/ choose?)
- Activate/ Enable Win 7 Sp1 on new laptop (How?) (Since it was originally SLIC 2.1 enabled with Lenovo Cert/Key, would using same technique work for installed Toshiba OEM Cert/Keys?)

--------------------------------------------- LONGER VERBOSE VERSION --------------------------------------------- 
I have a Thinkpad Win7 SP1 Ultimate which has been enabled via SLIC 2.1 (from the tools on this forum). 

The Thinkpad needs to undergo some maintenance work so it may go out of commission for sometime or for a long time/ for good. 

So, in the meantime, I'd like to move this Active Instance of Win7 Partition to another laptop without messing with its Win 8.1 partition and licensing etc. 

I intend to first generalize the instance (using steps below) and then later "activate" it on top of the new Toshiba P55. Could I do that given that the new 4K laptop will be higher than SLIC 2.1 - and I am assuming downgrade rights would work? 

I am guessing Dual boot it? If possible? If not, I'd like to put this Win 7 instance on the new machine after finding some way to RESTORE it back to the same OEM Win 8.1 that it comes with. 

Partition copy should be standard using an Imaging tool like Acronis/ Paragon. Is there a better way to do this using a VHD ? 

What are your thoughts?

PS: Yes.. I can use the Win 8.1, but for now I am not keen on re-learning my OS. I'd rather just SIDE STREAM on the laptop and come back to slowly make win 8.1 more like Win 7 and then migrate my apps and data.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: windows, activation, vhd, image, transfer, migrate, dual, boot, windows 7, windows 8

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users