Photo
- - - - -

Program to extract contents of exe file.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4198 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 04:27 AM

There are some Files within a exe file that I dont need to install because I know they have some type of spyware. But I want to extract just the actual program or the files i need. Any one know a program that can do that?

#2 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 24 August 2006 - 08:44 AM

The most complete program I've known is PE Explorer, it's shareware but the trial time should be enough to see if it works in your case and manages to decompile the EXE itself in order to remove the unwanted spyware code..

If you want to extract all files from a setup.exe file and ignore the installation, then I'd recommend using UniExtract.
:P

#3 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4198 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:25 AM

PE explore wasnt the one i needed.
The UniExtract seems like a good tool. Will collect that.
UniExtract did extract the contents of the exe but I couldnt find that specific file i wanted.

So i just Installed the exe on my virtual PC and got the file i needed. As I tought the exe contained addware just to get the thing you wanted supposively for free. Im ranting but thats a crappy way to do what they do. This is not against PeExplorer or UniExtract. Its against the Exe that i was trying to get a file from.

#4 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 24 August 2006 - 12:08 PM

You should also try to install 7zip..

7zip can also extract files from setup.exe and similar exe's from the right-click menu on explorer.. :P

#5 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4198 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 10:15 PM

I didnt know it could also do that. Tried it on the files I wanted to extract for testing purposes but it couldnt open them.

#6 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4198 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 04:38 AM

I just tested UniExtract in some other exe files which didnt contain spyware included in there freeware but just wanted to see if it would open them and extract just the program without install. And yes it did.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users