Photo
- - - - -

[usb boot] What main bootloader do you use?

bootloader

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Poll: What main bootloader do you use? (6 member(s) have cast votes)

What main bootloader do you use?

1. Grub (4 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

2. Syslinux/Isolinux (2 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Did it failed some time?

1. Often (1 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

2. rarely (4 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

3. never (1 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 u2o

u2o

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 257 posts
  •  
    Argentina

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:50 AM

I use Syslinux, but sometime fail.. with some Dell and HP notebooks, not all, only certain models. However, it on a boot dvd, never fails.

After Syslinux boot, chainload for some utilities to Grub, like iso-boot.

What is your experience?

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:02 PM

As a matter of fact I doubt that - since we are the UNofficial support forum for grub4dos - a large number of bootland reboot.pro users are using GRUB (now senselessly renamed to GRUB legacy) or GRUB (the name senselessly given to GRUB2), whilst many will be using grub4dos (which is NOT GRUB and it is NOT GRUB2) that is missing among the choices.

So the most used tools wiil be either Syslinux/Isolinux or grub4dos.

This latter can be booted (or chainloaded) in several different ways, and personally I have NEVER seen it fail to boot, with the only exception of some peculiar motherboards that do not "like" it when it is installed to the MBR (+hidden sectors), in which case (and this is the approach I tend to use) a "normal" MBR (like the one provided with Syslinux) code and grub4dos chainloaded by the bootsector works fine.

As a side note, it makes (to me) very little sense to have a "vague" statistics of how much something fails or succeeds when you have no idea of when/where it fails or how exactly was set up when it fails or how it fails.

Let's say that - hypothesis - grub4dos fails (when installed to the MBR+hidden sectors) on a Fujitsu-Siemens S200/S220/S300. (actually it is not a hypothesis, it is documented and it works fine once chainloaded from the bootsector).

How many people do you know (besides myself) that actually:
  • use such a machine
  • use such a machine AND want/need to boot it from USB
  • use such a machine AND want/need to boot it from USB AND NOT want to use a "normal" MBR
If someone is in case #3, the fail rate is 100%.
If someone is in case #2, the fail rate is 0% (as a "normal" MBR is used)
BUT, besides the above, if case #1 represents say 0.01% of the around 65000 members of bootland, i.e. there are actually 6 1/2 members with that hardware, how likely do you think that they will vote on this poll, and which influence/relevance would their vote have?

And we haven't even touched the issues about the zillion versions that exist of both Syslinux and grub4dos and the possibility that the user has not the competence to have them installed/set up properly.

:duff:
Wonko
  • homes32 likes this

#3 homes32

homes32

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1035 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:55 PM

Personally I have always like Syslinux/Isolinux for its ease of customization and granular security. Occasionally I need to chain load grub4dos to use --map but if syslinux gains this functionality ill never need grub4dos again.

agree with wonko though. grub4dos needs to be a choice as all the projects here either use grub4dos (which is NOT GRUB[legacy] or GRUB2) or syslinkux/isolinux/pelinux

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bootloader

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users