I am not sure if this is a Windows 8/8.1 bug or what:
1. Create a .cmd file called test.cmd
2. Edit it to add
echo HERE pause
3. Create a shortcut to this file on the desktop
4. Edit the Properties-Advanced of the shortcut to Run as administrator
5. Double-click on the shortcut and check you get the HERE prompt as expected.
Now here comes the test:
1. Select a file in a path that has no spaces - e.g. C::\temp\test.txt and drag-and-drop it onto the shortcut - say Yes to the UAC prompt and you should see a console windows with 'HERE' - press any key - as expected.
2. Now repeat this test, but select a file that is in a folder path that has spaces in it - e.g. C:\temp\name with spaces\t.txt
After accepting the UAC, a console window opens and then immediately closes!
It's driving me mad!
The console that opens has a blue background in my case, I see one line flash up and then it closes. I can't read what it says cos it's too quick.
I managed to solve it by using
c:\windows\system32\cmd /c C:\temp\test.cmd
as the shortcut 'Target' command