Photo
- - - - -

How to get UUID of an ImDisk mounted drive image?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#51 Vortex

Vortex

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 232 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:57 PM

Hi Wonko,

Thanks for the article. The new upload is version1.0 and it supports exFAT. For the moment, I think there is no need of the extX formats.

#52 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 13798 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:24 AM

Hi Wonko,

Thanks for the article. The new upload is version1.0 and it supports exFAT. For the moment, I think there is no need of the extX formats.

Excellent :thumbsup:.

Yes, I also think that it is a non-need as ext2/3/4 users will have anyway a quick way to boot into *any* Linuix (and/or boot to grub4dos/GRUB2) and use those instead, I guess that Steve6375's original request was connected to adding *something* easy for the newbie on Windows to one otr the other of his booting tools/tutorials.

:duff:

Wonko

#53 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6640 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films,guitars
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:28 AM

I am using it for MakePartImage.cmd which automatically creates a partition image from an ISO or USB stick or folder or zip file by creating a ramdisk using ImDisk.

Using  this image, you can add it an Easy2Boot drive and boot from the partition in UEFI mode. 

So Easy2Boot now supports UEFI multiboot. You can also boot from the image in MBR mode.

#54 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 13798 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:42 AM

I am using it for MakePartImage.cmd which automatically creates a partition image from an ISO or USB stick or folder or zip file by creating a ramdisk using ImDisk.

Using  this image, you can add it an Easy2Boot drive and boot from the partition in UEFI mode. 

So Easy2Boot now supports UEFI multiboot. You can also boot from the image in MBR mode.

Good :), but besides the gratuitious advertising about the nice features of your new tool :whistling:, you failed to state if - for any reason - you have any interest in calculating the serial of a .iso (which is OK, since we are already interested in it) nor for Ext2/3/4 (for which at the moment we believe there is no *need*/use).

Wonko

#55 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6640 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films,guitars
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:45 AM

Hi

No thanks. I have no interest at the moment in anything except FAT or NTFS.

I make an ImDisk volume and format it as NTFS or FAT32. I don't think ImDisk supports formatting as ext or CDFS?

#56 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 13798 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:13 AM

Yes and no.

"Formatting" a CDFS makes no sense.

As well, in a "Windows world" using Extx filesystem if of little use, but if the relevant EXT2/3/4 tools are installed, I don't see why it should not be possible.

The really possibly interesting points are IMHO ExFAT (which is supported via KB also on XP) and UDF, particularly the latter, as it is a filesystem that is used on the "install DVD's" of recent Windows versions and can be used as the filesystem on a partition/volume too on Vista :ph34r: and later.

Cannot say what real advantage any of them may carry, but they do have the advantage of having not the stupid 4 Gb filesize limit of FAT32 and not the mostly useless for "booting" stupid complexity of the NTFS filesystem. (permissions, etc.)

Wonko

#57 Olof Lagerkvist

Olof Lagerkvist

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1346 posts
  •  
    Sweden

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:30 AM

Like said, ImDisk itself does not implement any kind of "formatting" (as in creating filesystem), but with relevant tools installed for creating a filesystem it usually works with ImDisk volumes in the same way as other volumes. FAT32, NTFS, exFAT, HPFS (anyone remember?), ext2/3, ufs and a few others are among those I have tried myself over the years.

Only real trouble people seem to have ran into could be ReFS, which is painfully complicated to use in write mode with simple "volume-only" drivers. For some reason, ReFS driver expects, when writing but not reading, something to be present below the volume in the device stack. Probably to find out something about the underlying disk using some dirty manipulations of locations in the IRP that filesystem drivers are not expected to touch, really. It seems it does not even check first to see whether or not there is anything below the volume, it just expects something to be there. That design is on a scale somewhere between strange and ugly... But otherwise, ImDisk usually do fine with most filesystem creation tools I have found, both built-in Windows commands and others.

#58 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 13798 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:47 AM

Yep :), but right now it seems to me like ReFS being a bettered NTFS, only worse ;), and have no "real", "practical" use.

I don't think that anyone will have the guts to whine :ph34r: about it not working with IMDISK. 

Wonko

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users