8 replies to this topic

#1 igufhc

igufhc
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    Lebanon

Posted 18 January 2014 - 04:34 PM

Hey guys, is there some tool like SoftPerfect RAM Disk or ImDisk Toolkit that let me make a bootable disk in RAM?
those software I've listed got files deleted after reboot...

What I want to do is load an ISO into RAM and make it available after reboot in order to boot from ISO
I don't want to make a bootable USB with memdisk or grub4dos, unless they can be used from command line in windows (without booting an USB) which I didn't find anything related to it.

In short words, I can't boot from cd or USB I want to boot from ISO loaded into RAM prior to reboot, any suggestion?

#2 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7311 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films,guitars, www.easy2boot.com
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 18 January 2014 - 04:41 PM

Can you explain a bit more what you want to do and why?

You want to boot to an OS (what OS)? How did you boot the OS in the first place?

Then reboot (how?)

Then have it load an ISO which is in memory - what ISO?

Why do you want to do this rather than boot from the device that the OS booted from?

I don't think what you want is going to work, but maybe if you explained it some more...

#3 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 05:17 PM

Hey guys, is there some tool like SoftPerfect RAM Disk or ImDisk Toolkit that let me make a bootable disk in RAM?
those software I've listed got files deleted after reboot...

What I want to do is load an ISO into RAM and make it available after reboot in order to boot from ISO

A ramdisk is not a real disk. It is an image of a disk held in RAM!
The image needs to be loaded from somewhere when the computer starts, as RAM forgets all of it's contents on shutdown or reboot.

btw. What you call a 'bootable ramdisk' sounds more like a 'reset proof ramdisk' a ramdisk which does not forget it's contents upon a reboot, just at shutdown.
(Still the image needs to be loaded from somewhere.)

:cheers:

#4 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7311 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films,guitars, www.easy2boot.com
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 18 January 2014 - 05:21 PM

Well, not quite true actually. The contents of RAM is not lost on a warm reboot. In fact, if it was lost, the early CPUs could not switch back from protected mode to real mode as the only way they could do it was to reset the CPU and then jump to a vector in RAM to another part of the OS which is still in RAM.

#5 igufhc

igufhc
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    Lebanon

Posted 18 January 2014 - 05:29 PM

I have my PC (Windows) fully encrypted and what I'm trying to do is intended to add extra-layer of security, like encrypting bootloader in a usb, then running winPE or any other LiveCD with the proper software decryption at first in order to extract bootloader and mount it in ram just for the next reboot. Is that even possible?
Sounds kinda crazy but it would be nice if this could be possible.

​English is not my first language so I hope you can understand what I want to do. Thanks in advance

Edited by igufhc, 18 January 2014 - 05:31 PM.

#6 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7311 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 18 January 2014 - 05:36 PM

Don't quite understand what you want to do... but it doesn't sound like it has been done before and I don't understand why you just can't have a separate partition on the hard disk and boot from that?

#7 igufhc

igufhc
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    Lebanon

Posted 18 January 2014 - 05:46 PM

I have bootloader embedded in usb, everything works fine but I wanna hide the existence of bootloader at all, like encrypting it in a regular usb, then decrypt it from a livecd and mount into a ram... The concept is crazy I know but I thought it was possible to keep data in ramdisk for the next reboot just to boot encrypted system

#8 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:48 PM

I think it's not a real "reboot", but more like a chain-loading ...i.e. jump to the image you just decrypted...And quitre frankly, not sure that you can ever hide completely what you are doing here... remember, a "bootloader" is already several steps ...i.e. power on starts CPU at predefined address (i.e. the BIOS or UEFI code) which then loads more code that does "stuff", which loads more code, etc. So, if you wanted to write a "syslinux" or grub4dos or other lower level program to load (and decrypt) something into RAM, and then "jump" to it, that MAY allow what you thnk you want... Scott

#9 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  • Interests:Booting
  •  
    Canada

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:47 AM

You are probably thinking about John Stumpo's WinKexec[1].  Although his goal was for Linux, it seems like it would be possible to boot MEMDISK, instead. In fact, I think I did it, once: Booted a floppy image. Unfortunately, many things in the realm of kexecing are fragile, such as the interrupts which handle the keyboard. :)

[1] https://stump.io/pro.../wiki/WikiStart

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users