#1 darkfeels

darkfeels
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:12 AM

Hello

Im working on a multiboot USB Stick for my private PC.

I follow the Tutorial from rmprepusb.

With my Stick everythings works fine, but now i want do update/add my Stickwith the Avira Rescue Disk.

Add the Tutorial it says I must only extract the 2 Files (vmlinuz and initrd.gz) and the 3 Folders (antivir,avupdate and system).

So I downloaded the Rescue Disk from the Avira Page and open  the Iso with 7zip.

Now starts the Problems :(

The Structure of the Iso is a different one than the tutorial says....

avira.jpg

I Updatet my avira.lst with the commands from the site

title Avira - ask VGA mode\nAvira Antivir Rescue System
kernel /avira/casper/vmlinuz vga=ask ramdisk_size=107023 root=/dev/ram0 rw  console=/dev/vc/4
initrd /avira/casper/initrd.gz

But every time when I want to Boot Avira the PC Stops with a black screen and some LEDs on my tastatur are blinking.

Could someybody help me with the NEW right commands to boot the Rescue Disk with grub4dos?

Any could say me which folders are nesserary and which one i can delete?

I dont want to use the iso file because it is to large for my USB Drive :(

Thanks for help

#2 DavidB

DavidB

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 611 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:15 AM

Hello and welcome to the board

Looks like the Avira Rescue CD was recently changed.
You have 2 choices:

1. Use the previous version and the RMPrepUSB tutorial.
This way it will take less than 300 MB.

2. Use the latest version.
One of the reasons it's so big is they added other applications like GParted and Firefox browser.
Unfortunately they are embedded in the boot files and cannot be easily removed.
Some of the files/folders from the ISO can be discarded but not the big files from the casper folder. So it will take pretty much the same size on the USB stick...
So you'll need to delete something else from the USB stick to make some room or get a bigger one.
Copy the content of the ISO in the root of your USB stick, not in a folder. Yes, I would of preferred a folder too, but it will not start well from a folder.
You'll find the menu entries in the boot\grub\grub.cfg file:

menuentry "English: Start Avira Rescue System" {
linux /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper -- debian-installer/language=en console-setup/layoutcode=en
initrd /casper/initrd.lz
clear
echo
echo "Rescue System is now starting. If your screen stays black for a long time, please disable Secure Boot in your BIOS configuration. If this issue persists or you require additional assistance, please contact Avira Support:"
echo "> http://www.avira.com/en/support"
echo
echo "The Avira Rescue System will boot in 20 Seconds..."
sleep 24
}

menuentry "Deutsch: Avira Rescue System starten" {
linux /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper -- debian-installer/language=de console-setup/layoutcode=de
initrd /casper/initrd.lz
clear
echo
echo "Das Avira Rescue System startet jetzt. Sollte Ihr Bildschirm fuer einen laengeren Zeitraum dunkel bleiben, dann deaktivieren Sie bitte die Funktion 'Secure Boot' in Ihrer BIOS Konfiguration. Sollte das Problem danach weiter bestehen oder Sie moechten zusaetzliche Hilfe in Anspruch nehmen, dann kontaktieren Sie bitte den Avira Support:"
echo "> http://www.avira.com/de/support"
echo
echo "Das Avira Rescue System wird in 20 Sekunden gestartet"
sleep 24
}

You'll just have to adapt them to the grub4dox syntax:

title English: Start Avira Rescue System
clear
echo
echo Rescue System is now starting. If your screen stays black for a long time, please disable Secure Boot in your BIOS configuration. If this issue persists or you require additional assistance, please contact Avira Support:
echo \> http://www.avira.com/en/support
echo
echo The Avira Rescue System will boot in 20 Seconds...
pause --wait=20
kernel /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper -- debian-installer/language=en console-setup/layoutcode=en
initrd /casper/initrd.lz

title Deutsch: Avira Rescue System starten
clear
echo
echo Das Avira Rescue System startet jetzt. Sollte Ihr Bildschirm fuer einen laengeren Zeitraum dunkel bleiben, dann deaktivieren Sie bitte die Funktion 'Secure Boot' in Ihrer BIOS Konfiguration. Sollte das Problem danach weiter bestehen oder Sie moechten zusaetzliche Hilfe in Anspruch nehmen, dann kontaktieren Sie bitte den Avira Support:
echo \> http://www.avira.com/de/support
echo
echo Das Avira Rescue System wird in 20 Sekunden gestartet
pause --wait=20
kernel /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper -- debian-installer/language=de console-setup/layoutcode=de
initrd /casper/initrd.lz

I hope that helped you.

David

Later edit: I tested and all you have to copy from the ISO file is the ubuntu file in the root and the casper and preseed folders.

#3 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:29 AM

or

Just make an Easy2Boot multiboot USB drive and copy the ISO (pretty much any linux LiveCD ISO will work) file to the \_ISO\MAINMENU folder, run WinContig (e.g. RMPrepUSb - Ctrl+F2) and boot it! I tested with Avira Rescue System ISO and it works fine on a real system.

#4 darkfeels

darkfeels
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:55 AM

Hello,

Thanks for your help :good:

But unfortinaly it doesn't work for me  :(

I formated my USB Hdd in different Partitions for my Windows Setups.

Thas why I need a folder structure for all of the programms.

When I make it with the old Avira Rescue System and the Tutorial from RmPrebUSB fails the self check everytime.

When I use the method from DavidB, the Avira System starts but everytime it fails while booting.

The system trys to boot and access to drives and everytime it fails at the acces to my drives :(

The Reason for my partitions is, that I want to have the grub and the Menu files on a different partition then the Windows Setups and the Programms, because so they cant change or delete my grub Files and I can set the assignments to read-only.

clear
echo
echo Das Avira Rescue System startet jetzt. Sollte Ihr Bildschirm fuer einen laengeren Zeitraum dunkel bleiben, dann deaktivieren Sie bitte die Funktion 'Secure Boot' in Ihrer BIOS Konfiguration. Sollte das Problem danach weiter bestehen oder Sie moechten zusaetzliche Hilfe in Anspruch nehmen, dann kontaktieren Sie bitte den Avira Support:
echo
pause --wait=20
kernel (hd0,11)/iso/avira/casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper -- debian-installer/language=de console-setup/layoutcode=de
initrd (hd0,11)/iso/avira/casper/initrd.lz

i changed the code to my usb Structure but i doesn't want to work :(

Somebody could help me again? :)

#5 ilko

ilko

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 500 posts
  •  
    Bulgaria

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:16 AM

Is (hd0,11) correct? Which partition is that on the USB disk, how is it partitioned?

Did you extract the whole Avira ISO in /iso/ or /iso/Avira? It most likely will fail to find the other files, once kernel and initrd are loaded, as init scripts expect files to be in root.

There might be a kernel parameter to tell where files are if you do need files to be in a subfolder.

#6 DavidB

DavidB

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 611 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:44 AM

Yes, both methods needs the content of the disk copied in (hd0,0), because the Linux from the disk (Ubuntu) is made to boot from a CD device, which has only one "disk" and only one "volume" (0,0).
If you want to load the iso from (hd0,11)/iso/avira, then you'll have to copy the iso there, make sure it's not fragmented and use this menu entry:

clear
echo
echo
pause --wait=20
root (hd0,11)
map /iso/avira/rescue-system.iso (0xff)||map --mem /iso/avira/rescue-system.iso (0xff)
map --hook
root (0xff)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/iso/avira/rescue-system.iso -- debian-installer/language=de console-setup/layoutcode=de
initrd /casper/initrd.lz

#7 darkfeels

darkfeels
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:57 PM

Hello

THANK YOU

Everythings works fine with avira.

But there is one Question over: When the System starts and I should select the drives for Avira, it list me all of my usb drives...

Is there maybe one option to hide the usb drives?

Maybe with the kernel command "boot=nousb" or something like that?

Other Question :D

I tried to use the Kaspersky rescue CD one the same way.

at first with the code

root (hd0,10)
 map /iso/kaspersky/kav_rescue_10.iso (0xff)||map --mem /iso/kaspersky/kav_rescue_10.iso (0xff)
 map --hook
 root (0xff)
 chainloader (0xFF)

or with that code

http://reboot.pro/to...grub4dos/page-2

title Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10
root (hd0,10)
map /iso/kaspersky/rescue/rescueusb.iso (0xff) || map --mem /iso/kaspersky/rescue/rescueusb.iso (0xff)
map --hook
root (0xff)
chainloader (0xff)

But no one works :(

I think my usb drives ar the devil :/

but when grub loads into the memory kaspersky should look for their files also in the memory...

Evertime it loads the Kaspersky menu and i tries to start the system but it hangs up with a blank screen and kernel panic...

20131204_004437.jpg

Could you help me again? :/

#8 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1469 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:21 AM

or with that code

Use a example literally.

This is a fixed name "/rescue/rescueusb.iso". Do not change this.

Edited:
Example refers

3. Create folder "rescue" and put "rescue.iso" into it.

Actually rescue disk seraches a file "/rescue/rescue.iso"

Another example
http://reboot.pro/to...e-6#entry150776

Edited by cdob, 04 December 2013 - 04:57 PM.

#9 DavidB

DavidB

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 611 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:41 AM

Hello

THANK YOU

Everythings works fine with avira.

But there is one Question over: When the System starts and I should select the drives for Avira, it list me all of my usb drives...

Is there maybe one option to hide the usb drives?

Maybe with the kernel command "boot=nousb" or something like that?

Sorry, but I don't think that can be done using kernel parameters.

Other Question  :D

I tried to use the Kaspersky rescue CD one the same way.

at first with the code

root (hd0,10)
 map /iso/kaspersky/kav_rescue_10.iso (0xff)||map --mem /iso/kaspersky/kav_rescue_10.iso (0xff)
 map --hook
 root (0xff)
 chainloader (0xFF)

or with that code

title Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10
root (hd0,10)
map /iso/kaspersky/rescue/rescueusb.iso (0xff) || map --mem /iso/kaspersky/rescue/rescueusb.iso (0xff)
map --hook
root (0xff)
chainloader (0xff)

But no one works :(

I think my usb drives ar the devil :/

but when grub loads into the memory kaspersky should look for their files also in the memory...

Evertime it loads the Kaspersky menu and i tries to start the system but it hangs up with a blank screen and kernel panic...

20131204_004437.jpg

Could you help me again? :/

Booting with Kaspersky Rescue CD is trickier than booting with Avira Rescue CD.
The link from cdob has the best info about that.
But unfortunately even then it will not boot on all computers. For example on mine it doesn't. I have the same error as you, even if I followed all the instructions to the letter.
With Easy2Boot it does boot and loads the GUI but my monitor goes out of range (even thow the display mode is in range). But it boots fine in VirtualBox.

#10 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:54 AM

You can find various methods on my site here.

#11 darkfeels

darkfeels
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:05 PM

All the ways doesn't work :(

everytime it get stuck at the same positon :(

Maybe it could work, if I Change the partitions with the map command?

Like map (hd0,10) (hd0,0) and with the structure /rescue/rescue.iso and /rescue/rescueusb.iso

#12 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:26 PM

All ways?

So you made an Easy2Boot USB drive and copied the Kapersky ISO to /_ISO/MAINMENU and it didn't work?

Can you describe in what way it 'didn't work'?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: grub4dos, usb, iso, avira

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users