File failed to copy?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 BrentNewland

BrentNewland

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 03:38 AM

I just downloaded VistaPE and tried to build an ISO. I ran it through (checked all the boxes except debug, changed some preferences, then removed a lot of apps), and it went through mostly fine (got a could not find bcdedit.exe message from windows). I go to load it, and I get a winload.exe missing or corrupt message. So I check the logs, and I have around 1300 failed copies. I ran it through a second time without the wim compile checked, and I have 1648 failed copies. When it was done I was able to copy some files over (such as bcdedit and winload) without any problem.

Also, PDFReader has a bad directory name that makes it spit out errors during ISO creation. And when the WinBuilder window is maximized, you can't see the buttons at the bottom of the log screen.

Attached Files

• Attached File  log.html   2.42MB   530 downloads

#2 martinr

martinr

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 120 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 02:16 PM

I just downloaded VistaPE and tried to build an ISO. I ran it through (checked all the boxes except debug, changed some preferences, then removed a lot of apps), and it went through mostly fine (got a could not find bcdedit.exe message from windows). I go to load it, and I get a winload.exe missing or corrupt message. So I check the logs, and I have around 1300 failed copies. I ran it through a second time without the wim compile checked, and I have 1648 failed copies. When it was done I was able to copy some files over (such as bcdedit and winload) without any problem.
Also, PDFReader has a bad directory name that makes it spit out errors during ISO creation. And when the WinBuilder window is maximized, you can't see the buttons at the bottom of the log screen.

I do not know whether this is the cause of your problem or not, but there is an error in the Standard-1-files.Script file, which has been there for a while, but does not show up as long as all the checkboxes are checked.

The error is that the checkboxes in the [Interface] section are out of synch with the commands in [process]. If you change the reference to %pCheckBox1% in [process] to %pCheckBox2%, and the two references to %pCheckBox2% to %pCheckBox1% and leave the [Interface] section as it is, you will get it back as it should be.

Try this and see if it helps. If not come back and I will see what else I can suggest.

As regards the PDFReader error on building the iso, this is not a fault in VistaPE, but is something which is picked up when Foxit is downloaded. You can remove the problem by going to the VistaPE\App\Office\PDFReader folder and deleting the empty directory with all the squares in its name.

#3 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10565 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 08 April 2007 - 06:11 PM

Also, PDFReader has a bad directory name that makes it spit out errors during ISO creation.

Can you try downloading a new copy of vistaPE onto a winbuilder inside a new folder without downloading any apps and then retry?

Might bring more helpfull informations to further debug this matter..

And when the WinBuilder window is maximized, you can't see the buttons at the bottom of the log screen.

Thanks, will correct this detail - don't forget to post any more issues on winbuilder's forum to keep all reported issues together, good luck! :cheers:

#4 BrentNewland

BrentNewland

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 08:31 PM

I tried deleting winbuilder and putting it in the root of c:. Still didn't work. Tried the correction to the script. Still didn't work. So I downloaded Winbolic Link and created a symbolic link from \temp\vistape\BootWimSrc to \temp\vistape\InstallWimSrc. Tried runing in a VM with 300MB of memory - insufficient memory error (for the RAM disk). I'm going to burn it to a CD and try it out. It ended up reducing failed copies to less than a hundred, but added some registry errors. It deleted the log, so I'll have to run it again to get the output.

*EDIT* I ran it on my machine, and it was doing fairly good until it couldn't find \Windows\System32\drivers\sacdrv.sys which is one of the files listed in the log as not copying.

Attached Files

• Attached File  log.html   1.75MB   1760 downloads

#5 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10565 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 08 April 2007 - 10:20 PM

I wouldn't try using wb on C:\, better use something like c:\Winbuilder or C:\VistaPE just for playing safe and be able to keep all your files tidy inside one folder.

A few details should be provided:

Wich OS are you using?

If you're using Vista as your work OS, has the UAC been disabled?

I've read the log and see you're using a Vista DVD with US language as source, can you download and install the WAIK from MS?

I've tested myself and WAIK works good enough as a source, maybe it helps you.

You can use MS Virtual PC for your testings, it will load up your ISO - altought I would also recommend not adding any applications to avoid possible interferences when debugging this issue.

:cheers:

#6 BrentNewland

BrentNewland

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 01:10 AM

I'm using Windows XP MCE 2005 with all the latest updates. I've got the WAIK installed, but I really wanted to have the vista explorer.exe.

As the log shows, it went from 1600 failed copies to around 30. I'm going to try to copy them manually and rebuild the ISO and see if it boots successfully.

#7 NightMan

NightMan

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 433 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 09:38 AM

BrentNewland
Ooh!

1. remove ALL
2. make c:\VistaPE folder
3. download new WB 068 to c:\VistaPE
4. download all project files (you can downlod only necessary from APP folder, all other is strongly required)
5. if you have installed WAIK -> script "PreConfig" -> "Select tool for WIM management" -> "ImageX"

Make project and send log, if you have errors :cheers:

#8 BrentNewland

BrentNewland

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 09:47 PM

I downloaded a fresh copy and followed your instructions to the "T". I had the WAIK the whole time and have been using it. Once again I have 1647 failed copies.

I tried burning the last ISO that I made and it couldn't find spldr.sys, which isn't listed anywhere in the logs.

*edit* I added spldr.sys and now it can't find ecache.sys.

*edit* I added ecache.sys and it boots fine now. Everything works. Explorer won't let me browse computers on the network (ishellfolder access denied or some such), but the other shells work fine. Also edited my image to get rid of documentation, license information, useless images, and other stuff of the ilke. Now sitting at 278.5MB.

To modify this I ran through all but steps 6+ (create WIM and ISO). I then made a copy of the \target\vistape folder. I applied changes inside the \target\vistape folder and ran only steps 6/7. If you don't completely delete the \target\vistape folder (when you restore your backup) your ISO will double in size and you'll have RAMDisk errors. It seems step 7 doesn't delete this folder when it's done.

#9 NightMan

NightMan

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 433 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 02:04 PM

BrentNewland

I downloaded a fresh copy and followed your instructions to the "T". I had the WAIK the whole time and have been using it. Once again I have 1647 failed copies.

I tried burning the last ISO that I made and it couldn't find spldr.sys, which isn't listed anywhere in the logs.

you have 1647 errors and can boot from iso? very interesting...

#10 BrentNewland

BrentNewland

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 09:34 PM

BrentNewland
you have 1647 errors and can boot from iso? very interesting...

You're taking that out of context. Someone reading all of that post would have noticed that I said I burned the ISO I made previously, the one with about 25 errors (which I copied manually. They also would have noticed that I said that, after copying all files it told me to, and two more that couldn't be found on boot, the ISO worked.

#11 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10565 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 10 April 2007 - 11:08 PM

Maybe some other program like an anti-virus is trying to check each operation done to disk and interfering on the expected behavior.

Do you have any explorer window open inside any work folder?

Sometimes might also cause some issues too, I'm a bit clueless too.. :cheers:

#12 BrentNewland

BrentNewland

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 08:21 PM

Only thing running was WinBuilder. Not sure why it didn't copy anything to the BootWimSrc folder, but I can understand it missing two DLL files.

#13 m_limmer

m_limmer
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:23 AM

Try to run winbuilder from a ntfs-partition. That seemed to solve the problem people had with a screen saying winload.exe not found. And it always helps to work with the latest software.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users