No replies to this topic

#1 eblip

eblip
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:33 PM

I wanted to find out if anyone has been able to get System Restore working from within Win8PE SE. 

It seems RecEnv.exe launches okay, locates the offline Windows just fine, rstrui.exe loads fine, but it can't seem to locate the restore points. 

I get the same behavior when I run a version of RecEnv.exe taken from a Windows 7 WinRE.  I've verified the restore points are accessible from a vanilla winRE as well as when the OS is online.  I've tried using WinRECfg.xml to force authentication thinking it was maybe an access issue but that didn't help.  I also tried taking full control of the SVI (System Volume Information) directory and all its children, no change.

On the Window indicating "No restore points have been created on your computer's system drive.", there is:

"To create a restore point open system protection". 

When system protection is clicked you'll receive an error:

"System Protection is available only in online operating system." 

That indicates that Rstrui.exe is pointing to the correct(offline) Windows installation.

I'm hoping someone has gotten this working and can share their tricks because System Restore is often one of my primary resources for fixing troubled/unbootable installs.  Otherwise I'm stuck having to rely on Win8PE SE and two different vanilla WinRE.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by eblip, 01 November 2013 - 08:56 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: win8pe, system restore

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users