Hello, I'm in desperate need of help: I just installed this driver and now my Windows 8.1 PC cannot boot up . Here's the order of events that resulted in this disaster:
- I upgraded from Windows 8 Pro to 8.1 Pro (64-bit) by downloading from the Windows Store.
- I downloaded TestSignRootCA.reg and merged it into my registry.
- I downloaded the DiskMod 0.0.2.2 zip from this forum.
- I typed "bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON" per the instructions, but got an error message saying some policy didn't allow it (maybe Windows 8.1 is stricter than previous versions?). I just ignored the error and continued on to the next steps (maybe a big mistake in hindsight).
- I unzipped diskmod_0.0.2.2.zip, right-clicked on the INF file, and selected "Install".
- Windows asked if I trusted the publisher; I selected Yes to install the driver. No error messages popped up, so I assumed it was installed OK (in fact, I think I even got a message saying the driver was installed successfully).
- I immediately rebooted my PC.
This was when my nightmare started. Windows went into "Preparing Automatic Repair", then "Diagnosing your PC", then "Your PC did not start correctly". I'm given two options: Restart and Advanced options. Restarting always results in the same loop above. I think I tried every option in advanced recovery options, but nothing worked (again, it goes into the same loop after every restart). I even selected System Restore to restore my PC to the last restore point (two days ago), but that also failed with the following message:
"System Restore did not complete successfully.... An unspecified error occurred during System Restore. (0x80070005)"
The only option that I haven't clicked on is Refresh your PC, because that would basically wipe out all my installed software and countless hours of tweaks that I have put into this system -- this is definitely my last last resort.
My last chance is this forum: could someone please help me try to fix this? I'm praying that there must be some way to repair this without doing a Refresh. I can access the command-line console and Registry Editor from Windows recovery, but I need instructions on how to uninstall this driver manually. I would like to undo everything that was done by the INF file.
Thanks in advance,