VeeDub

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 140 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:28 AM

Hi,

I have a Win 8 PE ISO that I want to understand what files it loads to create it's environment.

I've been able to extract the boot.wim; but the application I'm interested in is loading differently outside of the ISO, so I need to understand the startup process.

I'm pretty sure there must be a tutorial here that will help me, but so far I haven't been able to find it.

I'm after a tutorial that explains the WinPE boot process, and what tools are needed to review / modify the boot files.

Thanks

#2 erwan.l

erwan.l

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3042 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 06 October 2013 - 05:16 PM

Hi VeeDub,

You thought the application was in the iso but found out that it is actually (as expected with a WINPEç in the boot.wim, right?

If I read you correctly then, you are looking for an application that is packaged in the boot.wim.

Either use the MS tools (WAIK or ADK) or simpler, use wimlib if you know the folder(s) or file(s) you wish to extract.

Note that the MS tools will help you mount the boot.wim as virtual folder which may be easier for you to browse inside that wim file.

Regards,

Erwan

#3 VeeDub

VeeDub

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 140 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:03 AM

Hi Erwan,

I've been able to extract the application from the WIM without issue. When I run the application, it loads without error, but not all of the program options are available.

I want to review the startup process in greater detail, for instance in the WIM, is the application being called with command-line switches for example.

#4 erwan.l

erwan.l

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3042 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:06 AM

Hi VeedDub,

The boot process is quite similar to the standard windows : bootmgr->bcd->winload->ntoskrnl->smss.

What you may want to look at is winpeshl.ini (in windows folder) as this is where the shell (or main app) is defined.

If not thing interesting in there (command line switches for example), then you may have to search in the registry.

Regards,

Erwan

• VeeDub likes this

#5 VeeDub

VeeDub

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 140 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:41 AM

Hi,

The app is being loaded as the shell, and after studying the app more closely I can see that the options that are not currently being displayed are part of the menu options. So it seems that I will need to study the inner workings of the app itself more closely.

Thanks for your help.

#6 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:30 AM

Is the name of the application a trade secret? :w00t:

:cheers:

Wonko