#176 misty

misty

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 703 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 04 March 2017 - 03:58 PM

No success with build 10.0.10586.0 - my source is a none en-US iso - this may or may not be a factor.

Build 10.0.14393.0 (LTSB 2016) also appears to be working - language is en-US.

My working build 10.0.10240.16384 was also from LTSB source (2015) - language is en-US.

So the LTSB and/or the language may be a factor. Or maybe there are other problems with 10.0.10586.0 source files.

Windows 10 is a moving target and the builds may need to have hardcoded registry settings - e.g. to 10.0.10240.16384.

This will make coding difficult for future sources or even different spbuild levels - e.g. 10.0.10240.16384 may work, but 10.0.10240.# may not.

Misty

#177 misty

misty

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 703 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 March 2017 - 06:25 AM

Alpha release is available here - http://mistyrebootfi...03.05_05.45.zip

This is a test for SysWoW64 support in Windows 10. SysWoW64 support is working with the following Windows 10 sources -
  • 10.0.14393.0 (LTSB 2016) - language en-US
  • 10.0.14393.0 (created using the MediaCreationTool today) - language en-US
  • 10.0.10240.16384 (LTSB 2015) - language en-GB
Build 10.0.10586.0 is still not working.

SysWoW64 will fail if building from a local Windows Installation - use .iso or other source.

Project will attempt to use install.esd as source if install.wim is missing.

NOTE - this is not a full download package - you will need an existing MistyPE build. Delete your existing \MistyPE\Projects\MistyPE and \MistyPE\Projects\Tools directories and replace with the corresponding directories in the alpha release download.

Please test Windows 10 SysWoW64 functionality and feedback. The project has been coded to use Build and SPBuild variables (obtained from the source boot.wim file) to dynamically create registry entries in the following section...
[HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SideBySide\Winners]
...this should allow any existing Windows 10.0 build to be tested irrespective of Build and SPBuild version.

Ignore following warning...
2017.03.05_1.jpg
...I can add builds to the list of known working version in the future.

:cheers:

Misty

UPDATE - just tested 10.0.14393.0 with es-MX language (created using the MediaCreationTool today). SysWoW64 is working in this build too.
  • alacran likes this

#178 misty

misty

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 703 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 March 2017 - 07:05 AM

Just tested an Insider Preview build 10.0.15042.0 (language - en-US) - SysWoW64 is working :thumbsup:

Big thanks to everyone at the.oven.org and anyone else involved in the 5-wow64 script for their work. It would not have been possible to implement SysWOW64 support in MistyPE without the 5-wow64 script to use as a base.

Thanks also to alacran for his patience and gentle reminder(s).

The alpha release linked to in my preceding post will have to do for now - I'll work on updating the MistyPE download following more test(s). Reports of working builds would also be useful.

I am not going to attempt to add support for SysWoW64 if building from local Windows Installation sources at the moment - using these sources will be a recipe for disaster!

Misty
  • alacran likes this

#179 alacran

alacran

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 490 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 06 March 2017 - 12:23 AM

Fantastic, Well done, Congratulations.

YOU MAKE MY DAY A HOLLYDAY

It is working flawlessly using as source: Win10_1607_Spanish_x64.iso (Pro-Home, this is es_ES not es-MX) as I haven't installed it on HD I don't know build number but it is Redstone-1 released on July/2016.

From log: Project time: 3 minutes, 15 seconds and 922 milliseconds

Let me suggest you to recommend using only RTM (or actual equivalent), not insider versions, to minimize troubles in building.

As you are working on updating the MistyPE download, I think it is good idea (if you want) to update the optional programs scripts in order to use last versions (as I did in the program cache directly, AFAIR only aida64 and PartitionGuru (new link) last versions have some extra dependencies, wich I wasn't able to fix).

Also this is my list of free programs that I can confirm they run as portables (all run in any x64 & x86 MistyPE):

Microsoft Calculator Plus v1.0, BOOTICE, SwiftSearch, USBDeview, wimlib_clc_17, WinContig, WinNTSetup.

This is the free tool used (on OS) to compress them (as 7z) and create a selt extraction (SFX)*.exe to extract them to this path X:\Temp to run on PE, and then deleted once you close the program: 7zSFX Constructor.

Aditionaly it is possible to run PStart and/or PSmenu to let you run your portables located on internal HDD/SSD or USB adding a PStart.cmd or PSmenu.cmd to custom folder, this way they can be run from all PE's.

My little batchs (if someone can improbe it, I'll appreciate it)

Spoiler

Best Regards

alacran

P.S.: I think now is time for a new Win10PE subsection in WinBuilder section.

Attached Thumbnails

• 7z SFX Constructor.png

#180 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 13749 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 06 March 2017 - 08:52 AM

My little batchs (if someone can improbe it, I'll appreciate it)

Spoiler

You may have issues with IF exist on some machines using those card readers that provide a drive letter even if there is no media in them.
And of course, provided that the "relevant" letters or PE's tend to be X and Y if you invert the letter list it will be slightly faster.
JFYI, see around here:
http://www.msfn.org/...&comment=895361

I am not sure whether Windows 10 has the "if exist" behaviour corrected.

:duff:
Wonko

#181 misty

misty

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 703 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 March 2017 - 03:04 PM

@alacran
Thanks as always for the feedback (and testing, and feature requests, etc). Without your suggestions, requests and help, MistyPE would not have anywhere near as much functionality. :cheers:

My time is a bit limited at the moment, so updating the program scripts is not likely to happen for a while. Had a quick look at Partition Guru - it's huge compared to the version in my MistyPE Cache (version 4.4.0 Free), having grown from 8.64MB to 27.3MB (unpacked size of 32-bit versions). That's progress for you :whistling:

Partially updated project (alpha release). Similar to the build in post #177, this is not a full download package - you will need an existing MistyPE build. Delete your existing \MistyPE\Projects\MistyPE and \MistyPE\Projects\Tools directories and replace with the corresponding directories in the alpha release download.
  • Drag and Drop support added to Windows 10 based WinPE
  • File Copy Progress Bar support added to Windows 8/8.1/10 based WinPE
  • Create a Cache from WinRE script (see here) will now copy SysWoW64 dependencies for some Windows 10 builds (10.0.10240 and 10.0.14393)
  • Properties dialog is now working in Windows 10.0.14393 - not working in 10.0.10240 or 10.0.10586
Windows 10.0.10586 has limited functionality compared with 10.0.10240 and 10.0.14393. SysWoW64 is not working. Browse for Folders (see here) is not working. Properties Dialog is not working.

Regards,

Misty

DOWNLOAD - here
  • alacran and Atari800XL like this

#182 misty

misty

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 703 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 March 2017 - 05:22 PM

@alacran
I've tried the Partition Guru 32-bit portable zip and files copied from a locally installed 64-bit version - .dll dependencies appear to be -
  • oledlg.dll
  • wtsapi32.dll
There are possibly others - I did a quick test in an existing WinPE (5.1) with a number of dependencies already added to System32. Only way to test for sure is a barebones installation. Will test later.

Misty

Update - Just oledlg.dll on 32-bit WinPE as wtsapi32.dll is already in the build. If running 32-bit Partition Guru under 64-bit WinPE (with SysWoW64) then oledlg.dll and wtsapi32.dll will need to be copied to the SysWoW directory (E.g. X:\Windows\Syswow64) or the folder containing Partition Guru.
  • alacran likes this

#183 alacran

alacran

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 490 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 08 March 2017 - 06:44 AM

You may have issues with IF exist on some machines using those card readers that provide a drive letter even if there is no media in them.
And of course, provided that the "relevant" letters or PE's tend to be X and Y if you invert the letter list it will be slightly faster.
JFYI, see around here:
http://www.msfn.org/...&comment=895361

I am not sure whether Windows 10 has the "if exist" behaviour corrected.

Wonko

@ Wonko

Thanks for the info, it make me look for a fix for this (just in case).

I found PS.exe 634 KB (seams made with Autoit) from a scrip made by wimb, capable to avoid that isue, it can find and run PStart from any mounted drive on a PC, I replaced the batch with it.

alacran

#184 alacran

alacran

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 490 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:55 AM

@alacran
Thanks as always for the feedback (and testing, and feature requests, etc). Without your suggestions, requests and help, MistyPE would not have anywhere near as much functionality. :cheers:

My time is a bit limited at the moment, so updating the program scripts is not likely to happen for a while. Had a quick look at Partition Guru - it's huge compared to the version in my MistyPE Cache (version 4.4.0 Free), having grown from 8.64MB to 27.3MB (unpacked size of 32-bit versions). That's progress for you :whistling:

Partially updated project (alpha release). Similar to the build in post #177, this is not a full download package - you will need an existing MistyPE build. Delete your existing \MistyPE\Projects\MistyPE and \MistyPE\Projects\Tools directories and replace with the corresponding directories in the alpha release download.

• Drag and Drop support added to Windows 10 based WinPE
  • File Copy Progress Bar support added to Windows 8/8.1/10 based WinPE
  • Create a Cache from WinRE script (see here) will now copy SysWoW64 dependencies for some Windows 10 builds (10.0.10240 and 10.0.14393)
  • Properties dialog is now working in Windows 10.0.14393 - not working in 10.0.10240 or 10.0.10586
Windows 10.0.10586 has limited functionality compared with 10.0.10240 and 10.0.14393. SysWoW64 is not working. Browse for Folders (see here) is not working. Properties Dialog is not working.

Regards,

Misty

DOWNLOAD - here

Well my friend, as I always tell you: take your time, it is not a priority. I already fixed my copy of MistyPE in a dirty way, and make it public if some one wants to do it (in some cases make a little trik changing the version number of the program to let the script run without modifying it).

About the big change in size of PartitionGuru, really it is not a big deal running all programs from the root of a USB stick if you want best booting speed, actually all USB sticks are big enought, and PC's have plently of ram (if you run it from inside the boot.wim) other option is make manually a solid compression of the boot.wim (like *.esd files) using wimlib or it's front end wimlib_clc as 8 and latter suport this (not tested, but I will do it), we are not in the old times any more, I still have my first USB drive it's 128 MB (not in use since long time ago), and at that time my XP OS was running with 512 MB of RAM (no .NETframeworks installed).

It is a pleassure to test your new additions/fixes, it takes only a few minuts for a new build. Your project is the faster on earth, you were the first one using wimlib to extract required files from install.wim and latter injecting them and programs/register-adds  to the boot.wim, all other projects expend very long time mounting and unmouting the two *.wim files, If I make a Win10PESE_x64 build it takes 10X more time than a Misty-10x64 build.

This do not mean in any way WinPESE is bad scripted or you get bat results, on the contrary they have made a lot of very good findings and innovative scripts, and people as ChrisR, JFX and the rest of the team deserve all my respect and gratitude.

I'll download and test this new project patch and let you know my finding (I'm not specting any trouble, you have a very good score).

alacran

EDIT: About make manually a solid compression of the boot.wim (like *.esd files) = Bad idea, DO NOT BOOT.  See post #196 for more info.

#185 alacran

alacran

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 490 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:33 AM

Update - Just oledlg.dll on 32-bit WinPE as wtsapi32.dll is already in the build. If running 32-bit Partition Guru under 64-bit WinPE (with SysWoW64) then oledlg.dll and wtsapi32.dll will need to be copied to the SysWoW directory (E.g. X:\Windows\Syswow64) or the folder containing Partition Guru.

OK I'll try this, thanks.

alacran

NOTE. There is a 7Zip v16.04 (working fine on my PC since long time ago), you not only can extract files from a *.wim, I have opened *.wim files with this version  and added files on them or edited *.cmd files, then when closing, it ask if you want to rebuild the *.wim, I thing this may work unless there are hard links (wich I don't think it is the case).

P.S.: Using 7Zip v16.04 just added oledlg.dll by pasteing it in System32 (it allready existed in sysWoW64). after closing and reopenig the boot.wim index 2, it is there but uncompresed. So this works fine for injecting small *.dll with 7zip in the faster way just to test someting, but it may require a furter optimization with wimlib if the injected size is big.

#186 alacran

alacran

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 490 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:55 PM

I decided to make (with last Patch) new MistyPE-10x64 but not the *.iso, then opened the boot.wim with 7Zip v16.04 and pasted oledlg.dll, and latter made de *.iso using WinBuilder.

Finally booting from MistyPE-10x64.iso located on internal HD through grub4dos I can confirm PartitionGuru v4.9.2.371 x64 and x86 run flawlessly.

No more missing dependencies.

I can't make a new build using as source a Cache from WinRE ATM, ASAP I'll do it and let you know.

alacran

#187 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 13749 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 08 March 2017 - 01:24 PM

OT, but not much, while looking for other sthings I stumbled onto this:
http://www.lerup.com/LaunchBar/

Overview

LaunchBar is a small Windows freeware program that mimics the behavior of the dockable QuickLaunch toolbar that was available in all Windows versions before Windows 7.

Docking the QuickLaunch toolbar to the right side of the screen, and thereby getting fast access to the programs I use the most, is something that I have been using for ages. Up till Windows XP this was very simple. In Windows Vista it was a bit trickier and in Windows 7 Microsoft decided to remove this possibility completely. Presumably to promote the new Windows taskbar. There are tons of application launchers available on the Internet but none that behaved the way I wanted, i.e. like the old QuickLaunch toolbar. In order to be able to convince myself to move to Windows 7 I decided to write my own. As I had an old application launcher program intended for Windows PE, I extended it to fully mimic the wanted behavior of a dockable QuickLaunch toolbar. In the lastest version I also added some additional functionality such as a optional hierarchy of launchers via popup menus controlled by the buttons.

that seems like a nice little thingy. :)

Wonko

• alacran and misty like this

#188 misty

misty

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 703 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:48 PM

Project updated. Full download - still a Beta release as it's possible that bugs have been introduced due to all of the recent changes. Merge any existing Program Cache to save downloading new files. Changelog -

• wimlib updated to version 1.11.0
  • Support added for the Windows 10 builds (10.0.10240, 10.0.10586 and 10.0.14393). Note - Windows 10.0.10586 has limited functionality compared with builds 10.0.10240 and 10.0.14393. SysWoW64 is not working. Browse for Folders is not working. Properties Dialog is not working.
  • Added support for "File Copy Progress" bar if Windows 8/8.1 source(s) are used.
  • 7-zip updated to version 16.04
  • Updated PartitionGuru script - a 64-bit release is now available. PartitionGuru will need to be installed locally and copied to the Cache during the first build.
  • New script to run a custom batch at startup. (Programs > Add Custom Batch....)
  • Documents have NOT been updated.

Some of the changes are already documented in the posts above. Any existing PartitionGuru Cache will need to be changed - copy existing 32-bit files to /Programs/ParitionGuru/x86/

Documents will take a little while to update.

Download from the portal - here

Misty

P.s. I've also added some registry settings to get rid of the (none working) shell folders displayed in a43 file manager.

• alacran likes this

#189 alacran

alacran

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 490 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:31 PM

Wonko

Yes it does, I'll take a look to it, thanks for the finding.

#190 misty

misty

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 703 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:20 PM

Just attempted to build using Server 2012 R2 source files (.iso) - the build failed as Image 1 in install.wim did not contain the required source files. Image 1 is Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard (Server Core Installation) - product description "...This option (recommended) reduces management and servicing by installing only what is needed to run most server roles and applications. It does not include a GUI, but you can fully manage the server locally or remotely with Windows PowerShell or other tools. You can switch to a different installation option later. See "Windows Server Installation Options...".

An oversight on my part - Image 1 has always worked with all other source files tested. Next release will include an option to select the Install.wim image number.

Misty

#191 alacran

alacran

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 490 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:40 PM

Last full download (MistyPE.2017.03.08.zip) do not include WoFADK script.

alacran

#192 misty

misty

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 703 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:50 PM

I'm working on updating the program scripts and guide. Will add the WoFADK script in the next release.

Misty

P.s. I'm still anticipating some bugs being found!
  • alacran likes this

#193 misty

misty

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 703 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 10 March 2017 - 12:04 PM

Experimental new script - tester(s) required.

Backup you existing script directory (\Projects\MistyPE\ (path relative to winbuilder.exe))

Copy the attached script to \Projects\MistyPE\Tools\

Start winbuilder.exe

Navigate to Tools > Update Project in the winbuilder.exe UI

Click on the RUN button.

All project scripts will be updated if the download is successful.

WoFADK script is included.

New script in Tools - Advanced Options - Post Processing

I'll report back in later to discuss other recent changes/updates in this download package in more detail. Other than the new script(s), the main change is in the main project options - there is now an option to select the image number in install.wim.

Fingers crossed nothing has been broken.

Regards,

Misty

Attached File  update.project.script   1.63KB   60 downloads

#194 Atari800XL

Atari800XL

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 10 March 2017 - 02:12 PM

Testing right now, everything looking good! Thank you very much for all the new developments, this project is amazing.

The update script had me worried for a while, when it said "This operation might take a few minutes", then it finished after 1 second. Everything was working perfectly though, another nice addition!

• misty likes this

#195 alacran

alacran

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 490 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 10 March 2017 - 02:55 PM

@ misty

Update was very fast, Then I made 2 builds using as source 10 x86, & x64 with sysWOW64, selecting install.wim index 2 to test this new option. All working fine in both of them.

Also saw Advanced Options - Post Processing script and tested it injecting a file to User.Added.Files. Good feature for quick adds to the boot.wim. Working great, the injection is lightinig fast.

Now I'm going to bed it is 08:56 a.m. here and I haven't slept all night.

See you latter

alacran

• misty likes this

#196 alacran

alacran

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 490 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 10 March 2017 - 09:09 PM

On my post #184 I said:

other option is make manually a solid compression of the boot.wim (like *.esd files) using wimlib or it's front end wimlib_clc as 8 and latter suport this (not tested, but I will do it)

Well it was an stupid idea got a blue screen (NEW BSOD) telling me something like:

Can't fid file Windows\system32\Boot\winload.exe It may be damaged.......

Well as all of you may know the (*.esd) LZMS high compressed file is install.esd not boot.wim in any ISO/DVD, during a classic install from DVD/USB boot.wim is loaded first, loading files required to read and decompress install.esd.

NOTE: I'm going to make a note in post #184 in order to keep good order in this thread.

alacran

#197 misty

misty

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 703 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 March 2017 - 08:57 AM

Update - use the script in post #193 to download it.

All project scripts will be updated. The only real change (other than date settings) is the following -

Tools > Update Project
Will now download a script to check if the full download is required. Saves bandwidth and time. This is not an issue with the current (small) update - but may be in future.

Tools > Add Program
Experimental - proof of concept. Will hopefully allow packages (programs) to be added. Useful to keep the MistyPE download package relatively small. Only package (Opera 12.18) is available here. Download the package. Tools > Add Program and add package (with full path) manually or using the Open File... option (the little folder icon) > Click on the ADD to Project button.

Have fun.

Misty

#198 misty

misty

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 703 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 March 2017 - 09:04 AM

@alacran
Noticed in post #195 that you ended up going to bed at 8:56 a.m. local time (not having slept all night!). Hope MistyPE wasn't responsible for your late night :whistling: If it was, then I hope you were having fun.

Misty

P.s. Weekend and family time. I'm having a break for the day. Bye for now.

#199 alacran

alacran

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 490 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 11 March 2017 - 12:56 PM

@misty

Yes, I was having fun at least until my wife woke up.

Have a good weekend with your family.

alacran

#200 misty

misty

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 703 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 12 March 2017 - 08:16 AM

Wonko

@Wonko
Another great find, finder.

I've been looking for a lightweight program launcher with 32 and 64-bit versions. It's perfect. I'm working on adding it to the project. Apologies to any testers (particularly alacran) for the volume of all of the recent updates - there's another one due out soon :whistling:

Misty
  • Atari800XL likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: winpe10, winpe5, winpe4, winpe3, winpe2, winpe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users