Photo

How to read and show an existing XBOOT stick content (delete old and add new ISOs)?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pxstein

pxstein

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:09 AM

Assume I created in the past an USB boot stick with some ISOs on it.

Then, after some weeks, I want to add some more ISOs.

Or at least I want to see whats currently already included on a XBOOT stick.

When I plug in now the USB stick and start XBoot it does not read and does not show the current content.

Is there a trick to let Xboot read and show it?

Assume I want to replace an older version of an already installed software on the XBoot USB stick

by a newer version

How can I do it?

As far as I can see there is no DELETE option in XBoot

Do I really have to format and re-installed all other ISOs as well?

Peter

#2 AVENOCTURNO

AVENOCTURNO

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Technology (making experimental lasers specially), Music composing, Alien-Human Relationship, Arts (in general), learning about to live in meditation state, etc.... Just a little bit of my music here: www.myspace.com/nachovalle
  •  
    Argentina

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:39 AM

Hi pxstein.

Actually i've already finished a beauty usb-tool, one includin' Hiren'sBootCD 9.9, Hiren'sBootCD 13.0 & NortonGhost15. I've added Hiren'sBootCD 13.0 later, 'cause these two version's of Hiren's has serious compatibility difficulties; the uha & the 7zip compression,  formats were drivin' me crazy. the xboot did not perform well the entire work; NGhost always work, but depending the order of the usb-stick building the version 9 or 13 of Hiren's were not functional! However the solution is very simple, you just gotta edit in an appropiate way the "menu.lst" file.

We just need to be carefull with the edition parameters, as spaces, symbols & the exact characters. You can put what the title that you want to each one of the utilities, but the names of the isos must be exact, obviously, but when you work 14hs.a day the simplest things turns diabolics!!, heheee......

For those who wants enjoy the marvellous Hddregenerator (Hiren's 9.9 & 10), or the best MiniXp ever (Hiren's13), as the impressive NortonGhost (Saver of Savers) here i left a simple gift: my suffered "menu.lst".

color white/red yellow/blue 
timeout 3000

### MENU START
title Boot from hard drive
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
map --hook
chainloader (hd0,0)
### MENU END

### MENU START
title Hiren'sBootCD 9.9\n
ls /images/hirensbootcd.iso || find --set-root /images/hirensbootcd.iso
map --heads=0 --sectors-per-track=0 /images/hirensbootcd.iso (0xff) || map --heads=0 --sectors-per-track=0 --mem /images/hirensbootcd.iso (0xff)
map --hook
chainloader (0xff)
### MENU END

### MENU START
title Hiren'sBootCD 13.0\n
ls /images/hirensbootcd13.iso || find --set-root /images/hirensbootcd13.iso
map --heads=0 --sectors-per-track=0 /images/hirensbootcd13.iso (0xff) || map --heads=0 --sectors-per-track=0 --mem /images/hirensbootcd13.iso (0xff)
map --hook
chainloader (0xff)
### MENU END

### MENU START
title NortonGhost15\n
ls /images/nortonghost.iso || find --set-root /images/nortonghost.iso
map --heads=0 --sectors-per-track=0 /images/nortonghost.iso (0xff) || map --heads=0 --sectors-per-track=0 --mem /images/nortonghost.iso (0xff)
map --hook
chainloader (0xff)
### MENU END

### MENU START
title Help!\n
ls /images/help.iso || find --set-root /images/help.iso
map --heads=0 --sectors-per-track=0 /images/help.iso (0xff) || map --heads=0 --sectors-per-track=0 --mem /images/help.iso (0xff)
map --hook
chainloader (0xff)

### MENU END

Get a great rest!

#3 AVENOCTURNO

AVENOCTURNO

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Technology (making experimental lasers specially), Music composing, Alien-Human Relationship, Arts (in general), learning about to live in meditation state, etc.... Just a little bit of my music here: www.myspace.com/nachovalle
  •  
    Argentina

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:49 AM

I'm sorry!!!, my mistake, i've forgotten to say that i've added later the Hiren's13 simply by drop the image into the "images" folder..., & later i've edited this menu.lst.

If you want to recover space or add new utilities you can simply delete tthe image from the images folder, & later, initialize the xboot tool for add more isos, or by dropping the isos in the images folder. ALWAYS PUT MUCH ATTENTION TO THE FINAL MENU.LST. There is no perfect software writing perfect menus, yet, so you gotta do it, & u'll do it much more better..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users