Photo
- - - - -

Windows failed to start. (Error 0xc000000f)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MedoCancer

MedoCancer
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    United Arab Emirates

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:12 AM

Hi there,

I'm posting this thread after getting tired reading all the post everywhere with no specific solution for the problem I've 

been already facing since last night with all the hopes to get it all done right here guys.. help me plz.!!

well I'm using a Dell Inspiron laptop running Windows 7 Ultimate x64. last night i had like a spyware and 

unfortunately someone suggested SpyHunter4 software to deal with it. for all those having such experience you may 

understand that once i restarted the system it went through Grub Loader that i realized later it's a Linux system 

file which I've never had or installed. anyway i have a flash drive which has a Windows 7 installation files (using it as 

the Windows 7 setup DVD) which i had to boot from going into Windows 7 Setup--> repair your computer then running the 

Command Prompt to enter the lines:

Bootrec.exe / fixmbr
Bootrec.exe / fixboot

in both cases i got the result that it has been done successfully. Now after booting my computer i got the following:

"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause." telling me to get back to my 

Windows installation disc and run Repair my computer in order to fix this problem ending that with the lines:

File: \boot\BCD
Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

Now according to some forums i found a suggestion to load the run the Command Prompt to use BOOTREC /REBUILDBCD

command which I've already done and got the following:

Scanning all disks for Windows Installations.

Successfully scanned Windows installations.
Total identified Windows installations: 1
[1] E:\Windows ------->> " Note that my HDD is divided into two partitions C as the Windows drive and D"

add installation to boot list ? Yes(Y)/No(N)/All(A):

and for sure whenever i enter Y or Yes i receive the message :"the requested system device cannot be found"

In such case i had to go and read more within different online posts including this forum to find out many solutions which 

I'm already messed up knowing nothing about what to use. I'll make it easier as i had a solution of using DISKPART

command to list my disks --> Select Disk 0 "online" ---> List Partitions where i get the following:

DISKPART> list partition

Partition ###               Type                 Size               Offset
-------------               ------------       -------          --------

Partition 1                    OEM                  100  MB          1024 KB
Partition 2                    Primary               14   GB          101   MB
Partition 3                    Primary               158  GB          14    GB
Partition 0                    Extended             292 GB          172   GB
Partition 4                    Extended             292 GB          172   GB

at this point i gave up. i realized that my Windows drive letter has changed from C: to E: but i cant figure out how to 

react to the DISKPART results i got as I have no idea what to do. I found a thread in this forum which describes a similar 

problem but i have to admit i cant find an exact specific solution for what I'M facing with the fear of loosing one of my 

HDD drives upon performing a wrong action. 

The option which ain't familiar is to perform a HDD format or even the Windows drive format since its full of data that no 

way to drop or even to backup during this time as I'm running out of time to finish off few projects on my computer. As far 

as i got the lesson of being away of all the damn wares such as SpyHunter which brought me to all of this. I've done my 

best to illustrate the whole problem in details in order to make it clear for people who can direct me to right way as i 

had the day off in order to fix such a problem. 

waiting for you guys to help me asap.. thanks alot in advance.

Note:

- I'm Using a Dell laptop running a solo Windows 7 x64 OS.
- My HDD is 500 GB "shown as 450 GB withing DISKPART".
- Using a USB Flash drive as a bootable Windows 7 Installation disc.

wmic logicaldisk get size,freespace,caption

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:24 PM

How were the drive letters assigned "before"?

I mean normally a laptop has not this kind of partitioning:

Partition 1 OEM 100 MB 1024 KB
Partition 2 Primary 14 GB 101 MB
Partition 3 Primary 158 GB 14 GB
Partition 0 Extended 292 GB 172 GB
Partition 4 Extended 292 GB 172 GB

The "Partition 1 OEM 100 MB 1024 KB" should be the "usual" Windows 7 "boot" (please consider how MS would call that "system" as it has the terms inverted) partition, this is normally 100 Mb, like yours and is the one containing the "\boot\BCD", it is usually formatted as NTFS and has a partiton ID of 27.

Then there may be a "OEM system restore partition", usually smallish and "filled up to the brim", like it could be your "Partition 2 Primary 14 GB 101 MB" which is normally "hidden" (i.e. likely having in the case of Dell a DE or 17 partition ID).

Then the rest of the disk is usually one big primary partition, the only visible drive and gets normally drive letter C:\.

It is possible that something in the stupid tool you used (the SpyHunter4, NOT the "grub loader", possibly a grub4dos) changed the ID of these partitions and this has changed - consequently - the drive letter assignments/whatever.

Can you still boot to that "grub loader" (which most probably is a version of the other of grub4dos)?

Or use diskpart to DETAIL each partition (and post results) as in:

http://outrospective...-windows-tools/

:cheers:

Wonko

#3 Tripredacus

Tripredacus

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:K-Mart-ian Legend
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:34 PM

I would suspect the 14GB partition is the recovery partition. I am wondering about the duplicated Extended partition...

#4 saddlejib

saddlejib

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 270 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:56 PM

Sometimes we hit a quagmire of thought without trying the basics,

1. F8 last known good configuration

2. system startup recovery disk

Worked quite a few times for me.

some might say erunt.

#5 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:35 PM

Sometimes we hit a quagmire of thought without trying the basics,

1. F8 last known good configuration

2. system startup recovery disk

Worked quite a few times for me.

some might say erunt.

If you car engine doesn't start, do you normally check that tires are not flat and actually inflated to the right pressure? :dubbio: (these two latter checks have helped me quite a few times).

If you have a flu, do you bandage your left ankle? :unsure:

The error here is:

File: \boot\BCD
Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

I would dare to affirm :ph34r: that the Registry is unlikely to be connected with that (and the system startup recovery disk was actually used, without any positive effect by the OP).

:cheers:

Wonko

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users