Boot iPXE from BOOTMGR

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tsaukpaetra

Tsaukpaetra
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:44 AM

This is actually reverse of almost all guides out there. 

What I'm trying to do is boot a build of iPXE using Windows BOOTMGR. I've already got it working successfully with Grub4Dos and Grub (as well as through normal PXE as well), but I can't figure out how to make it work with Bootmgr.

My reason for doing is is that I don't really want to install grub on every computer I want to be able to boot iPXE from.

The reason I can't just use PXE is that I plan on having the relevant computers abroad, and iPXE is used to download the boot images over the internet.

From what I've read, I can use a file stored on the disk as "Bootsector", such as Windows XP's NTLDR, but I can't seem to generate a file that is acceptable for this purpose, even though the USB and HD images buildable are about the same size...

Any ideas/help would be awesome. :)

#2 erwan.l

erwan.l

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3042 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:43 AM

Hi,

Have you tried to create a new bcd entry pointing at ipxe iso with easybcd?

Regards,
Erwan

#3 Tsaukpaetra

Tsaukpaetra
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:47 PM

I have, but EasyBCD creates a link to a mbr file, instead of the ISO itself.

The more I look into this the more it seems I have to use Grub and chainload windows bootmgr, like everyone else.

I was initially thinking I could use the Kernel-style build of ipxe, but it just says it's corrupted based on the error code.

#4 erwan.l

erwan.l

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3042 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:11 PM

you can also do bootmgr->g4dos->ipxe if you really want to keep bootmgr first in the line.

#5 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:32 PM

you can also do bootmgr->g4dos->ipxe if you really want to keep bootmgr first in the line.

And BTW (and partially OT) tis could be a nice use of the fact that BOOTMGR does parse BOOT.INI (limited to non-arcpaths).

I.e. you can add a grub4dos choice to BOOTMGR without editing the \boot\BCD but adding a "bootsector like" entry pointing to grldr in BOOT.INI (at least on plain, local setups).

:cheers:

Wonko

#6 erwan.l

erwan.l

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3042 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:56 PM

And BTW (and partially OT) tis could be a nice use of the fact that BOOTMGR does parse BOOT.INI (limited to non-arcpaths).

I.e. you can add a grub4dos choice to BOOTMGR without editing the \boot\BCD but adding a "bootsector like" entry pointing to grldr in BOOT.INI (at least on plain, local setups).

:cheers:

Wonko

Nice indeed!

Not everyone has/wants easybcd installed nor masters bcdedit command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users