3 replies to this topic

#1 Falkoner

Falkoner

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:10 PM

So I'm going to begin with my goal: the biggest thing I want to do is remove the extracted XP files from my pen drive for Pro, Home, and Media Center, and place them into a format that will automatically hardlink the similar files, and store the whole group as a few files, making moving it around easier. Currently I'm looking into either WIM or ISO formats to do this, and I'll simply mount the file when I want to perform an install within a PE.

Currently this method would work just fine with WinNTSetup, simply copy the i386 folder to the HDD and run the install from there, my issue is that I would also like to be capable of performing Windows Repair Installs from the PenDrive.

So, I have two potential solutions that I could use, and simply need questions answered:

1. Can the install files copied using WinNTSetup be used to perform a repair on the same HDD they are installed to?
2. Is there a tool that can emulate the Windows Repair Install without needing to use the XP Text Mode section of the install?

Thanks in advance!

#2 genetix

genetix

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 132 posts
  •  
    Finland

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:46 PM

I think what you are looking for is like I did few months ago.

I made folder structure:

\<all XP WIN51. files>               ; XP disc check files

\bootsectorX.dat

\XP0X                                       ; example of XP floppy

\ROOT\XP0X                            ; Actual CD media data

* Made ISO bootloader from MS-DOS floppy & option to chainloading.

* ISO format is optimized to link files yet in MODE 2 (even MODE 1 could of been used)

* It is directly bootable from Grub4dos.

Modifications:

1. You need to modify each floppy 'setupldr.bin' to include path name instead of 'I386' (in x64/2K3 case it needs to be direct jump to CD-media).

2. Bootsector.dat's need to also have same modifications for ISO bootloader to understand what to chainload.

3. txtsetup.sif need to be modified to include winvblock or firadisk (depending what style you load it) - at floppy

4. in x64/2K3 case you need the drivers to be on CD-Source media instead of floppy.

5. in x86 case they can be loaded without any modifications to cdsource.

This will work in generally any media you put it in what you really need to worry about is general data and how to get right version data to disk.

#3 Falkoner

Falkoner

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:58 PM

I already have a similar system to that working, but unless I read what you wrote wrong, all the files for XP have to be extracted to a folder on the pendrive, and I'd like to have them stored in a single archive so it's not so annoying to copy them or work with them.

My current setup allows me to do a normal XP install directly from GRUB4DOS, booting into the Text Setup from my pen drive, but unfortunately this requires the files of the XP disks to be extracted, which, combined with a FAT32 filesystem, makes hardlinking the files impossible, and means using nearly 3x as much space as they would take up if they were all in the same file, and hardlinked.

EDIT:
Rereading, it sounds like you understand what I'm going for, I suppose I'm a bit confused as to how to go about getting XP to read the ISO as if it's a directory, especially after the reboot into GUI mode.

EDIT EDIT:
Oh, you're using Firadisk or a similar driver. I suppose that would be the best way to go about doing it, but I'd like to see if there's a simpler solution. I think I know how do to what you're saying, I'd just have to look into some of the custom ISO drivers a little more.

Edited by Falkoner, 19 August 2013 - 08:04 PM.

#4 genetix

genetix

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 132 posts
  •  
    Finland

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:52 PM

all the files for XP have to be extracted to a folder on the pendrive

nope.. none..

Also, basic repair console only takes 7,3 Megabytes, btw, total.

My current setup allows me to do a normal XP install directly from GRUB4DOS, booting into the Text Setup from my pen drive, but unfortunately this requires the files of the XP disks to be extracted

Dunno how you have set it up, but this sounds like bad setup to me. Nothing in XP needs to be extracted anywhere from Clean ISO explained above. It can resident even in Linux EXT4, if you like.

EDIT:

EDIT EDIT:

I am using WinVblock v0.0.1.8 with out a single need for memory mapping anything. I am doing direct mapping of the ISO even F6 floppy could be done so as long not fragmented, but I have integrated the WinVBlock to XP floppy txtsetup.oem instead of using F6 floppy..

Will work with something like these lines (sorry wrote these to my reminder some time ago might be incorrect, but close never the less.

VBlock:

[SourceDisksFiles]
wvblk32.sys = 1,,,,,,4_,4,1,,,1,4

[HardwareIdsDatabase]
RootWinVBlock="wvblk32"
DetectedWinVBlock="wvblk32"

[SCSI.Load]
wvblk32 = wvblk32.sys,4

[SCSI]
wvblk32  = "WinVBlock Virtual Disk"

Firadisk example looks something like this at floppy txtsetup.sif if you absolutely have to load memory:

[SourceDisksFiles]
firadisk.sys = 1,,,,,,3_,4,1
firadisk.inf = 1,,,,,,3_,20,1

[BootBusExtenders.Load]
firadisk = firadisk.sys

[BootBusExtenders]
firadisk = "FiraDisk Virtual Disk",files.none,firadisk

Edited by genetix, 19 August 2013 - 08:55 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: xp repair, install, pe, winntsetup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users