Photo
- - - - -

Win7PE_SE x64 network drive map problem

Best Answer trmpluym , 20 August 2013 - 11:24 AM

Found the solution my selves !

The culprit came from an unsuspected source. The original source file (Win7PE_SE_2013-05-24.zip) contains an 'iSCSI Initiator' script. This script is NOT x64 compatible.

I needed this part because the recovery environment only works on the same platform (x86 of x64) and my backup is located on my NAS (iSCSI LUN). Because the project should work with a x86 and x64 source I was not questioning the original scripts (the source Win7PE_SE_2013-05-24.zip) during the debugging process.

When you select the 'iSCSI Initiator' script with an x64 source the drive mapping will fail ! Also the 'VMWare Ethernet' and the 'Virtual PC Intel Network Driver' script are not x64 compatible (but in the logging you can find a warning for the last two, and they do no harm).

I looked at the source of the script, compared the registry settings Microsoft recommends in the following article:

http://technet.micro...769(WS.10).aspx

So i removed the unnecessary items. Rebuilded my project and …. Yes the drive mappings worked again !!!

If the Win7PE_SE team like to add my modified x64 'iSCSI Initiator' script I can send it to them.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 trmpluym

trmpluym

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:02 PM

I am trying to build a Win7PE_SE bootdisk. I downloaded Win7PE_SE_2013-05-24.zip and the building process succeeded without errors.
But when i boot the system i am unable to map a drive to a natwork share (net use m: \\10.1.1.3\vol2).
The error is:

System error 53 occurred
The network path was not found

I suspected a bugging script or module so i started from scratch with the lite version Win7PE_SE_Small_2013-05-24.zip

Out of the box the network drive mapping works. So i began adding modules en scripts but afther adding some drive mapping start to fail again.

So i started adding modules one by one in different combinations. But there is not a specific module responsible for the network drive failing problem.
I can have a working problem with two working modules. But when a add the same two modules to another configuration the drive mapping start to fail.

The conclusion now is it depends on the number of modules. But i have memory enough (the virtual machine has 2GB of memory and a do not use many scripts\modules).

The ISO size of the working system is 291mb afther adding two modules the size of the resulting iso is 292mb.

I found out the difference between a working and a not working system is the 'TCP/IP NetBios Helper' service.
This service is started in a working build and not started in a not working version. Also I am unable to start it.

My problem is about the same as:

But i do not use a lot of modules and do not use the cleanup image script.

Hours and hours i spended building different systems without result ! Please help !

An example of a working an a not working buildlog you can download here http://tinyurl.com/p8hcurh

#2 trmpluym

trmpluym

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:24 AM   Best Answer

Found the solution my selves !

The culprit came from an unsuspected source. The original source file (Win7PE_SE_2013-05-24.zip) contains an 'iSCSI Initiator' script. This script is NOT x64 compatible.

I needed this part because the recovery environment only works on the same platform (x86 of x64) and my backup is located on my NAS (iSCSI LUN). Because the project should work with a x86 and x64 source I was not questioning the original scripts (the source Win7PE_SE_2013-05-24.zip) during the debugging process.

When you select the 'iSCSI Initiator' script with an x64 source the drive mapping will fail ! Also the 'VMWare Ethernet' and the 'Virtual PC Intel Network Driver' script are not x64 compatible (but in the logging you can find a warning for the last two, and they do no harm).

I looked at the source of the script, compared the registry settings Microsoft recommends in the following article:

http://technet.micro...769(WS.10).aspx

So i removed the unnecessary items. Rebuilded my project and …. Yes the drive mappings worked again !!!

If the Win7PE_SE team like to add my modified x64 'iSCSI Initiator' script I can send it to them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users