Photo
- - - - -

what filter driver works to see multi partition usb flash?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Zoso

Zoso

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 640 posts
  •  
    Isle of Man

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:09 AM

hi, I just have a quick question. I have been using usboot drvgrd and hitachi micro to see multi partitioned usb flash in XP but I now need to see all partitions while booted from w7.

does the hitachi filter work in 7 since usboot does not or is there another?

W7 Enterprise X86

thanks

#2 Zoso

Zoso

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 640 posts
  •  
    Isle of Man

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:15 AM

its a difficult topic to search because so many results for unrelated stuff but I found this:
http://agnipulse.com...ed-disk-windows

very good!

#3 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14520 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:15 AM

Just for the record, whilst BOTH cfadisk.sys and dummydisk.sys work alright in Windows 7, the Karyonix's :worship: diskmod.sys:

http://reboot.pro/to...-usb-hard-disk/

is normally preferred nowadays since it is "more complete" and additionally allows to have:

• pagefile.sys on the USB
  • Windows Updates working (at least on XP)
  • System Restore working (at least on XP)

Some references:

http://www.msfn.org/...-boot-os/page-3

http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=24419

:cheers:

Wonko

#4 Zoso

Zoso

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 640 posts
  •  
    Isle of Man

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:13 PM

good info! I also want to mention that the link in my previous post has an external download for diskmod that includes four batch files that make it easier to control diskmod function.

#5 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6820 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films,guitars, www.easy2boot.com
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:38 PM

BTW: You can use RMPrepUSB to make any one of the 4 primary partitions the accessible partition under Windows or bootice (but not all partitions at the same time and not logical partitions).

This saves having to install a driver and make your system 'atypical' (i.e. behave differently from normal systems with USB flash drives).

#6 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14520 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:09 PM

BTW: You can use RMPrepUSB to make any one of the 4 primary partitions the accessible partition under Windows or bootice (but not all partitions at the same time and not logical partitions).
This saves having to install a driver and make your system 'atypical' (i.e. behave differently from normal systems with USB flash drives).

And you can also use a number of other tools to have the same result.
And you can make also a logical volume inside extended partition "boot drive" if you write a primary entry for it with partnew or similar.

OP - for whatever his reasons are - wants "to see all partitions while booted from w7" on some already multipartitioned USB sticks.
And he can also flip the "bit" on the USB stick controller, for that matters, so that the USB stick itself becomes a "normal" device. ;).

Wonko

#7 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6820 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films,guitars, www.easy2boot.com
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:16 PM

FYI - in the UK at least, BTW stands for 'by the way' and it is typically used when giving extra info that may be of interest but may not be completely 'on topic'.

I know he asked to see all ptns, but he may be willing to accept a compromise...

#8 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14520 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:26 PM

FYI - in the UK at least, BTW stands for 'by the way' and it is typically used when giving extra info that may be of interest but may not be completely 'on topic'.

I know he asked to see all ptns, but he may be willing to accept a compromise...

Sure :), I have a nice carpenter's comparison that explains nicely "BTW".

Q. I have decided to join some planks of wood using exclusively a hammer and nails, which type of hammer do you suggest?

A 1. It depends on your habits, as an example in Italy the most used is about 300 gr head, long handle, in Germany 600 gr head and relatively short handle, both types are very effective to drive nails into wood planks, usually the heavier (but with shorter handle) hammer tends to need more strength/resistenace, whilst the lighter (but with longer handle) requires more precision, IMHO the lighter/longer handle is more suited to your needs.

A 2. BTW you can also use the electric screwdriver I produce and some screws, this saves you the noise of the hammer hitting the nails.

A 3. And you can also use *any* electric or non-electric screwdriver to drive those screws, and you can also use glue and hot glue, besides wooden pins and mortise-and-tenon joints, but the original question still was about a type of hammer.

A 4, 5 ,6 ,7. http://idioms.thefre....com/by the way

Bill: Oh, by the way, Fred, do you still have that hammer you borrowed from me?
Fred: I'll check. I thought I gave it back. 

Jane: By the by, don't you owe me some money? 

Sue: Who, me?

Wonko

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users