Hello, having a bit issues I cannot tracing this issue back and solve it seems from any of the already build project scripts. I have read quite a bit of topics and ignored quite a bit of websites while trying to build a bit different style my goal.
So, here's what I got...
* 3 PCs to boot at:
- Pentium 4 - 775 chipset - 1GB RAM
- Intel IB I5-3750K - Z67 chipset - 6GB RAM
- Notebook: Acer (can't recall exact model, but Intel Dual Core, 2GB and fully USB bootable)
* USB Flash Stick USB 3.0 gen (at USB 2.0 port for compatibility)
OSes in testing build:
Windows XP SP3 Pro CD
Windows XP SP3 Home CD
-> singular ISO with modifications/root:
XP3E modifications example:
- cdbootsector: modified -> I386 = XP3E
- Floppy: modified ->
- setupldr.bin -> I386 = XP3E
- txtsetup.sif -> SetupSourcePath = "\ROOT\XP3E\"
- CD: Unmodifed source
- ISO Format information: ISO 9660 (no Joliet, ISO Level 2, 8dot3 naming)
* WinVBlock x86/x64
* Firadisk x86/x64
(Singular floppy with modified TXTSETUP.OEM)
Boot-up with GRUB4DOS v0.4.4 &/or GRUB4DOS 0.4.6a(mod):
1. grldr -> menu.lst
2. menu.lst content:
title Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP3 [Retail Edition] - English map --mem (hd0,0)/floppy/CUSTOM/gendrv.ima (fd0) map (hd0,0)/ms/NT5.ISO (0xFF) checkrange 0x80 read 0x8280 && map (hd0) (hd1) checkrange 0x80 read 0x8280 && map (hd1) (hd0) map --hook root (0xFF) chainloader /XP3E/SETUPLDR.BIN boot
* gendrv floppy image contains WinVBlock + Firadisk x86/x64.
* This works through all setups to 'stage 2' as long WinVBlock is used (real machine). At VM anything except QEMU it fails.
title Microsoft Windows 5.xx [Stage 2] map --mem (hd0,0)/floppy/CUSTOM/gendrv.ima (fd0) map (hd0,0)/ms/NT5.ISO (0xFF) checkrange 0x80 read 0x8280 && map (hd0) (hd1) checkrange 0x80 read 0x8280 && map (hd1) (hd0) map --hook chainloader (hd0)+1 boot
* Now here is where I fail to 'Error 0x44':
Attempted based on different info:
* Setting root instead of chainloading (hd0)+1
* Loading floppy to fd0+fd1.
* Few really odd mappings what I am not even going to mention since don't understand 1 cent about them why they should of worked in the first place.
Next steps under considerations:
* Move all data to NTFS partition at USB drive, direct boot it (I try'd this before at that point I couldn't get pass the stage 1, but I think with all the new information I could get to stage 2 to test).
* Build boot loader based on cd-shell/bscript project under ISO and build menus to boot the image (which doesn't affect above as that is whole another story on booting) as is the MS-DOS bootloader style floppy at CD with eltorito -> winnt.exe.
Few other notes of the project:
* Original CD based data \ROOT\ will not be modified, hex edited, 1st stage installed or otherwise touched ever. It is not an option and never will be an option.
* ISO can be any container. ex. VHD/IMG HD image, if needed as long above note is kept in mind.
Edited by genetix, 18 July 2013 - 10:13 AM.