2 replies to this topic

#1 freighter0

freighter0
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:34 AM

The reason I asking if this is a bug or feature is that I've seen many posts about how to create the drive at boot, or want that (task scheduler and login scripts) When I create a ram disks it persists (with files), through shutdowns and reboots, even though I did not specify an image file location Running Win 8 x64 Enterprise, 16GB RAM, Laptop ImDisk Version 1.7.5 - (Compiled Jun 13 2013)

#2 v77

v77

Silver Member

• Team Reboot
  • 602 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:24 AM

This is not directly related to ImDisk. When it is possible, Windows 8 uses a new hybride sleep to speed up the boot: basically, it is like the hibernate idle state, but only for system processes. This means that the memory allocated by a driver is kept between two reboots.

You can disable it, but this can slow down the Windows boot, especially if you are using a slow hard drive, but the ramdisk content will not be loaded, so the slow down should be mitigated.

If the C:\hiberfil.sys hidden system file exists, and if the following command returns 0x00000001, then the hybrid sleep is active:

powercfg /q SCHEME_BALANCED SUB_SLEEP HYBRIDSLEEP

It seems that changing this value has no effect, so you have to completely disable the hibernate feature. You can do that with the following command, in an elevated command prompt:

powercfg /h off

This can take some time, because for security reasons, hyberfil.sys is not only deleted but wiped out.

#3 freighter0

freighter0
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:35 AM

Thanks for the quick reply

The command you sent me returns 0.

However, just like you said, I ran the command to turn off hibernation and the drive disappears on shutdown/reboot now.

Thanks again

Edited by freighter0, 14 July 2013 - 02:39 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users