Photo
- - - - -

Successful WINXP-SP2 on RAMDrive - Some Doubts..

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 proton

proton

• .script developer
  • 77 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 05:15 PM

Hello,
Mr.smiley's script does not seem to work.But i have been able to get success,Below is what i did,

Tools used :

1.BartPe All In One (BartAIO v1.4)
2.OpenBuilder v49
3.Windows XP-SP2 setup CD
4.No need for ramdisk.sy_ & setupldr.bin

I used Openbuilder to build my standard XP without these three scripts --> boot from RAM,Create ISO and Run ISO in QEmu.Copy all the files & folders in C:\OpenBuilder048\Target folder to C:\BartAIO1.4\pebuilder\bartpe(The folder names here are absolute it may change depending on where you have installed these two programs).

Then run C:\BartAIO1.4\autorun.exe and select Step 3 "Boot PE into RAM" from "RAM/USB" tab.The final ISO works fine in QEmu ,VMwares virtual machine & even in my real PC.Step 1 "Run PE Builder" & Step 2 "Run Batcher" should not be run as PE Builder will overwrite the target files.

I booted my real PC with the CD(burned with this ISO) and erased the same cd using small cd burner ,re-burned the cd with a modified ISO then booted from that ISO.

It all works just as fine except for the resource limitation.As i get time i will try to use
PELogon.exe as stated in some place in this forum ? or somewhere else.And post the result.

This sort of a boot cd is what i was dreaming of...of course without resource limitation.

I have some doubts can anybody please help me out.

1.Why it copies the ISO image as a whole into ramdrive & mount the ISO.Why not use the Ramdrive directly.

2.Is it not possible to use any disk compression software instead of UPXing all individual files as individual files take more space than a single compressed drive file like drvpspace.000 in old DOS & Win98.I have successfully made a bootable Win98GUI on ramdrive using drivespace compressed volume with some limitations.

3.Does XP use icon chache as in the case of win98 shelliconcache for the shortcuts or it scans for the icons at boot time which may take more time to boot.

4.Can i make or edit an ISO with MagicISO,How do i do that,Simply use the bootsect.bin as boot image?

Thanks for all those who worked on this wonderfull project.

Proton

#2 smiley

smiley

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 905 posts
  •  
    Greece

Posted 20 August 2006 - 09:55 PM

Mr.smiley's script does not seem to work.But i have been able to get success,Below is what i did,

The first version was realy full of errors as i have posted. now it works ok.You can test it and post your results.

I hadn't tested BartPe All In One but when i testd it i realized that the zip contains the files ramdisk.sys and setupldr.bin. I believe that the right way is to download the W2003 sp1 and extract these files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users