Photo
- - - - -

can a W7 VHD be booted from an XP system?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Zoso

Zoso

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 640 posts
  •  
    Isle of Man

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:46 AM

can a W7 VHD be booted from an XP system?

say that you install w7 from scratch on a system and then install again into a native boot VHD then save the VHD on a USB HDD.

now reformat the system again and install XP from scratch then copy the VHD back onto the local HDD.

can you boot it (VHD) how? grub4dos? how?

#2 ktp

ktp

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 733 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:54 AM

It is not XP problem, it is gruc4dos that can chainload bootmgr (of Win7/Win8) that can then boot VHD.
I have an USB hard disk that can boot either XP-32 VHD, Win7-32/64 VHD, Win8-32/64 VHD
with grub4dos MBR. I do not have any real OS installed on my USB HDD apart inside the VHDs.

If you can boot grub4dos, you can boot VHD.

Once you have the VHD (XP, Win7 ou Win8) on your USB hard disk, to boot with grub4dos with your USB HDD, you can
create a diskette image 1.44MB boot_vhd.ima (or use existing image).The diskette
could be non-bootable, there is no problem. Mount it with Imdisk, delete if needed all files inside the diskette.

Then put in the diskette image /bootmgr and the /boot directory.
Then use for example EasyBCD to create an VHD entry in the BCD of the diskette: \boot\BCD
(use File menu to load the BCD, do no edit the current OS BCD !) booting the VHD.
You can create other VHD entries, one entry for another VHD.
Unmount the diskette image with Imdisk. Put it in same directory as the VHD on your USB HDD (e.g. $VHD).

Sample working code:
#
title XP/Win7/Win8 VHD
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /$VHD/boot_vhd.ima
map --mem /$VHD/boot_VHD.ima (fd0)
map --hook
root (fd0)
chainloader /bootmgr

So at boot, you will be presented a selection of VHD boot by bootmgr chainloaded by grub4dos!

The diskette image is handy since it invokes your bootmgr/BCD without requiring any BCD change at the booted system.

• Nuno Brito likes this

#3 DarknessAngel

DarknessAngel

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
    South Korea

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:05 PM

you can boot both system on BCD by bootmgr

you need to change bootloader and mbr/pbr to ntldr -> bootmgr but that is very easy work

http://cappleblog.co.kr/521

sorry page is korean (you just download file and run it and input '1')

it work on xp x86 only (default 'windowsxp drive' letter is 'C')

#4 Zoso

Zoso

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 640 posts
  •  
    Isle of Man

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:56 PM

hi ktp, that looks like a great strategy! I have not seen it anywhere in my surf reads. thanks for posting!

hi DarknessAngel, maybe a last resort due to the language limitation but thank you also.

#5 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 13749 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:12 PM

hi ktp, that looks like a great strategy! I have not seen it anywhere in my surf reads. thanks for posting!

JFYI:

http://www.multiboot....uk/floppy.html

(the above page has been cited - at least by me - countless times on reboot.pro)

:cheers:

Wonko

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users