Photo
- - - - -

How can I load more than one driver using XP txtsetup.oem?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6885 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films,guitars, www.easy2boot.com
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:05 AM

Hi

I have been experimenting with chenall's DPMS code which creates a virtual F6 floppy containing the correct mass storage driver for whatever hardware it is being run on.

I want to add the FiraDisk and WinvBlock drivers to the txtsetup.oem file that is created by DPMS. I have modified the code and can now make a virtual floppy with the firadisk and winvblock drivers on it and modify the txtsetup.oem file.

The problem is I am not sure how to add more than one driver to the txtsetup.oem so that they are all loaded automatically without pressing F6.

I have tried adding multiple lines to the Files section  e.g.

[Files.scsi.iastor3]

inf=d1,firadisk.inf

inf=d1,WinVBlk.Inf

catalog=d1,WinVBlk.Cat

catalog=d1,WinVBlk.Cat
driver=d1,firadisk.sys,firadisk
driver=d1,WVBlk32.Sys,WinVBlock

driver=d1,iastor3.sys,iastor3

inf=d1,iaahciinf

catalog=d1,iaAHCI.cat

but this does not seem to work in that the AHCI driver is not loaded. If I omit the firadisk and winvblock lines, then it does load the AHCI driver.

Is it possible to load more than one driver from txtsetup.oem???  Any ideas?

#2 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6885 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films,guitars, www.easy2boot.com
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:44 AM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885756

Seems to imply it can't be done!

#3 wimb

wimb

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 2440 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:47 AM

Create multiple sections in Txtsetup.oem. Create one section for each required driver file. Instruct the user to install multiple drivers from the driver disk. If the drivers must be loaded in a specific order, make sure that you tell the user.

Seems to imply that it can be done .... (probably only by pressing F6)

Another approach without pressing F6 is working in any case:

Step 1. Use DPsBase.exe for Integrating in your XP Setup  source DriverPack MassStorage with TXT Mode Enabled.
http://driverpacks.net/downloads

Step 2. All MassStorage drivers are available from XP Setup Source and can be used combined with WinVBlock driver from Virtual Floppy

http://reboot.pro/to...7-vhd-xp-setup/

#4 wimb

wimb

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 2440 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:41 AM

May be something like this by pressing F6 with multiple sections can work ..... (does not work for me)

[Disks]
disk1 = "FiraDisk Installation Disk",\firadisk.inf,\
disk1 = "WinVBlock Driver Disk",\WinVBlk.inf,\
disk1 = "Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Driver", iaStor3.sys, \

[Defaults]
scsi = WinVBlock32

[SCSI]
firadiskx86="FiraDisk Driver x86"
WinVBlock32 = "WinVBlock Bus (32-bit)"
iastor3 = ""Intel® IaStor3 SATA AHCI Controller"

[Files.scsi.firadiskx86]
driver=disk1,firadisk.sys,FiraDisk
inf=disk1,firadisk.inf
catalog=disk1,firadisk.cat

[HardwareIds.scsi.firadiskx86]
id="detected\firadisk","FiraDisk"

[Config.FiraDisk]

[Files.scsi.WinVBlock32]
driver = disk1,WVBlk32.Sys,WinVBlock
inf = disk1,WinVBlk.Inf
catalog = disk1,WinVBlk.Cat

[Config.WinVBlock]
value="",TxtSetupInstalled,REG_DWORD,1

[HardwareIds.scsi.WinVBlock32]
id="ROOT\WINVBLOCK","WinVBlock"
id="Detected\WinVBlock","WinVBlock"

[Files.scsi.iastor3]
driver=disk1,iastor3.sys,iaStor
inf=disk1,iaahci.inf
catalog=disk1,iaAHCI.cat

[Config.iaStor]
value = "", tag, REG_DWORD, 1b
value = "", ErrorControl, REG_DWORD, 1
value = "", Group, REG_SZ, "SCSI Miniport"
value = "", Start, REG_DWORD, 0
value = "", Type, REG_DWORD, 1

[HardwareIds.scsi.iastor3]
id = "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2922&CC_0106","iaStor"
......... and all the other id

#5 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14628 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:01 AM

@wimb

The "multiple" sections has been already talked about here (just for the record):

http://reboot.pro/to...t-ahci-drivers/

http://reboot.pro/to...-plop/?p=122941

http://reboot.pro/to...e-4#entry121275

:cheers:

Wonko

#6 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6885 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:37 AM

multiple defaults looks promising! I will try that.

I have got install direct from ISOs with DPMS auto-detect working now, but you have to choose the AHCI driver (there is only one in the list), then Firadisk driver and/or winvblock driver.

It would be nice if this was automatic...

#7 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6885 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:58 PM

hmmm...

I tried the multiple [Defaults] section as described. It does not seem to work in that no driver is installed by default.

I can use F6 and manually pick the drivers but that is not the point - I want it to be automatic!

the generated txtsetup.oem (that doesn't work) is attached. I have three consecutive entries and they have different disks. Anyone see anything wrong or that conflicts with the other post here ?

thanks

Attached Files

#8 wimb

wimb

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 2440 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:07 AM

I tried the multiple [Defaults] section as described. It does not seem to work in that no driver is installed by default.

I can use F6 and manually pick the drivers but that is not the point - I want it to be automatic!

My multiple sections proposal (which does NOT work yet for me) has only one entry in the [Defaults] section.

I think the multiple sections approach is not automatic for more drivers and will require to use F6 to select drivers.

I have scsi = WinVBlock32 as Default which is working automatic OK, but when I use F6 to select 

then the driver files in the Virtual Floppy are not found in the TXT-mode copy proces.

Also FiraDisk does not work this way for me.

A good working automatic solution is Integrating MassStorage and Chipset DriverPacks in XP Setup Source and making new ISO file.

Then WinVBlock driver in Virtual Floppy  can be used with that ISO file  to Install XP in VHD on any hardware.

http://reboot.pro/to...7-vhd-xp-setup/

#9 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6885 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:29 PM

Well, I have *almost* got it working buy using two F6 floppies!

Both virtual floppies are identical but the txtsetup.oem has default=iastor on one and on the other I have default=firadisk.

(fd0)   default=firadisk

(fd1)   default=iastor

both disks have all driver files for firadisk and ahci and both disks have a disk0 and disk1 empty file used as a diskid file.

Now I do not need to use F6!  When XP Setup loads, the firadisk driver is loaded without pressing F6 (if it wasn't I would get a BSOD).

When I press F8 to accept the EULA, I can now see both the USB drive and the HDD listed (so I know that the AHCI driver has been loaded)

So it seems to have loaded both drivers automatically. :clap: 

However, the problem is that immediately after formatting the HDD and then going into the text-mode copyfiles stage, it stops with a 'Please insert disk "xxxx" into Drive A:"

I have been trying various things for ages to get past this but I seem to be stuck!  Once (and only once!) I got it to work but I could not repeat it even though I know what I did  :frusty: !

I tried it on a VM (using ICH9) and a real nbook (using ICH7) - both give identical behaviour, so it is not a VM problem.

Any ideas?

#10 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6885 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:33 PM

SUCCESS!!!

I can load 1 AHCI driver and 1 RamDisk driver (e.g. Firadisk) automatically by using two virtual F6 floppies!  :clap: 

So now I can install from a bootable USB containing an unmodified XP ISO and install to an AHCI target system without needing to hit F6 during Setup and use chenalls (heavily) modified DPMS.bat to select the correct AHCI driver!

phew! :suda:

#11 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14628 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:56 AM

SUCCESS!!!

I can load 1 AHCI driver and 1 RamDisk driver (e.g. Firadisk) automatically by using two virtual F6 floppies!  :clap: 

So now I can install from a bootable USB containing an unmodified XP ISO and install to an AHCI target system without needing to hit F6 during Setup and use chenalls (heavily) modified DPMS.bat to select the correct AHCI driver!

phew! :suda:

Care to provide in this thread the actual result that is successful?

Wonko

#12 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6885 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:56 AM

I was just doing some more investigating. I think I have a grip on things now!

It seems the problem in the copyfiles stage (after formatting) is that it expects the 'current' floppy drive A: to have the correct driver files.

The 'current' drive A: is whatever was accessed last after selecting the drivers using F6 + S and then it loading the drivers before getting to the EULA screen.

e.g.

We have two disks fd0 and fd1

fd0  'disk0' tag file txtsetup.oem has firadisk as default

fd1 'disk1' tag file txtsetup.oem has iastor as default

In F6 we load iastor and firadisk and then the drivers are loaded (not sure what order..) so we can see the internal hard disk to format it.

Now in copy-files textmode stage after formatting has taken place, it tries to find the drivers so it can copy them over to the hard disk. So it looks for a disk0 tag file on the current drive A: - if present it copies over the sys/inf/cat files (if not present it stops and asks you to insert the correct disk). 

If the disk0 tag was present and the file copy was successful, it now looks for the disk1 tag on the current drive - it does not find it so it asks you to insert the correct disk!

So the problem seems to be that at the Copyfiles stage, XP does not have any concept of floppies A: and B: - just the current 'drive A:'!!!

So the way I got round this was:

1. fd0 and fd1 have identical files on them. The tag file is identical (e.g. disk1) and the other driver files are identical

2. The only difference is that one txtsetup.oem has a [Defaults] section for firadisk and the other txtsetup.oem file has a [Defaults] section for iastor

So that 'advice' about having separate disk tag files was wrong, it actually makes things worse (unless you have all the tag files on both floppies)!

Also, for txtsetup.oem, I found that you can have as many [xxxxx] sections as you like and in any order you like! It will just read them all. The only exception is you should have only one [Defaults] section. This makes making hybrid txtsetup.oem F6 files really easy! Just concatenate all the oemsetup.inf files together in one big file!

Only the first entry in the [Defaults] section is valid.

You can have only one driver=disk.filename entry in the [Files.scs.ID] section any others will be ignored (so multiple drivers are not possible).

During the development of this, I found lots of bugs in chenalls dpms.bat (one of which fails to copy the .sys file to the floppy so that it fails in GUI-mode!).

phew! :dubbio:   :cold:   :clap:

This took me days to work out  (1 day wasted due to me breaking my working code and not realising it! :frusty: ) so I hope this helps somebody else!

cheers

Steve

#13 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14628 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:13 PM

This took me days to work out  (1 day wasted due to me breaking my working code and not realising it! :frusty: ) so I hope this helps somebody else!

Yes :), as hinted before, IMHO it will :thumbup: when you will post additionally something "definite" (possibly a final, working set of examples).

But take your time, no hurry whatsoever :fine:.

Wonko

#14 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6885 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:45 PM

OK, well it looks like there is still a problem!

chenall's DPMS.bat parses the DriverPack.ini file for a PCI match, a section for 8086_3B29 looks like this (simplified)

[I7]
; 11.2.0.1006
ms_count=1
ms_1_deviceName="Intel ICH9/ICH10 SATA AHCI/RAID RST 11.2"
ms_1_tag="iastor7"
ms_1_sysFile="iastor7.sys"
ms_1_hwids="PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3B29&CC_0106"
ms_1_isBusExtender=false
ms_1_exc_disableIfOS="w2k"

From this chenalls DPMS.bat (now heavily modified!) make up a txtsetup.oem like this:

[Disks]
d1="DPMS Installation Disk by chenall(diskd)",\disk1,\

[scsi]
iastor7="Intel ICH9/ICH10 SATA AHCI/RAID RST 11.2"

[Files.scsi.iastor7]
inf=d1,iaAHCI.inf
catalog=d1,iaAHCI.cat
driver=d1,iastor7.sys,iastor

[HardwareIds.scsi.iastor7]
id="PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3B29&CC_0106","iastor7"

[Defaults]
scsi=iastor7

and this works fine for text-mode setup. Inside the Intel standard iaahci.inf file it calls for the iastor.sys driver.

However, when we get to GUI-mode setup, the install stops with a 'can't find iastor.sys in C:\Windows\OEMDir" message. Sure enough the iastor.sys file (which was present on the F6 floppy) had not been copied across in text mode. After all, why would it be copied over when it is not mentioned in the txtsetup.oem file?

This seems a major flaw with DPMS and the whole driverpack.ini file setup!  :dubbio: The driverpack folder has both iastor7.sys and iastor.sys, but textmode setup will only copy across iastor7.sys and you cannot have multiple driver= lines in txtsetup.oem as the extra one are just ignored!

So I thought that all I need to do was change the name of the driver in the  txtsetup.oem file to iastor.sys and all would be well. We can just ignore iastor7.sys.

However, I (eventually!) found after much head scratching that I also need to change the 'service' name (in bold red above) which MUST match the driver.sys name or XP will just not load the driver!

Anyway, bottom line is I can now install all the way through both text-mode and GUI mode without needing to press F6 (using FiraDisk only) and all from a vanilla ISO. The user still has to reboot back to the USB drive for the 2nd step, as it is still a 2-step process.

#15 ilko

ilko

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 500 posts
  •  
    Bulgaria

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:10 PM

I've reported that issue a while ago and PM-ed Chenall as well, but it seems DPMS work is stalled for now:

http://code.google.c...es/detail?id=21

As an ugly workaround I've manually edited driverpack.ini to get rid of iastorX and the similar entries, there are a few other entries like iastor.

A few lines of code were also included to add pnpinterface=5 which is (most likely) required for some drivers. Detection is made by presence of the string scsiport.sys or storport.sys in the sys file.

If you want to compare, here is a modded DPMS, in \files\DPMS\:

http://code.google.c...-0-beta9_rc4.7z

#16 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6885 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:21 PM

Thanks, but I have it all working now  (I think!).

I now look at each INF file that is in the driver folder and use the sys driver that is mentioned in the proper matching inf file.

There were quite a few issues with chenall's DPMS, e.g. using wrong driver (the one in the driverpack.ini is not always correct - there may be 3 or 4 infs and drivers in one driver folder), only testing for a match on 3 characters of the device ID  (i.e.  8086 292*) and several others I have forgotten about at the moment! Oh yes, the floppies that he made had a bad BPB parameter and if you look at them they have weird files listed in them - this was due to \x9  that should have been \x09.

(I did email him with the bugs and did have one reply of thanks).

If you want to use my DPMS.bat (with firadisk and winvblock) when I am finished you are welcome. My code is not as 'nice' as chenalls but it seems to work! I don't have any special scsi code in it though....

#17 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6885 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:30 AM

Yes :), as hinted before, IMHO it will :thumbup: when you will post additionally something "definite" (possibly a final, working set of examples).

But take your time, no hurry whatsoever :fine:.

Wonko

Does this help?

#18 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6885 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:13 PM

I have now added support for Config sections in my version. What I do is look for a [Config section with a 'value' and a PnPInstance string in the txtsetup.oem file that is in the driver pack folder.

I use the first section that I find.

NT4 sections don't seem to use PnPInstance.

The only thing is if there is more than one section with PNPInstance in, then I only the use first one as I don't really know which hardware ID it belongs to..

#19 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14628 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:33 PM

I spent some time looking around on the matter.

Only questions and guesses :(.

Some very wild :ph34r:, some hopefully "educated"   :dubbio:

Steve, the file you posted on #7 seems like having a "queer" disk numbering scheme in [Disks].

As well, Wimb's posted example has all disks being "disk1"

Maybe this is connected? :unsure:

Why not trying following EXACTLY the given example on MSDN?

http://msdn.microsof...f544738(v=vs.85).aspx

http://msdn.microsof...f541068(v=vs.85).aspx

etc.

What happens if one uses the "Computer" component instead of the "scsi" one?

Cannot somehting *like* this:

http://board.vitalig...hment.php?aid=9

be used?

Or is it "triggered" by the actual PNP or PCI\VEN?

OT, but not much, see how the good Intel guys use an EFI ramdisk ;):

http://downloadmirro...lease_notes.txt

As always, the MS docs are "strange", seemingly NT4 allowed "Display" as "component":

http://support.micro...kb/166028/en-us

and also more "components":

http://ifsc2.ifsc.us...k1/TXTSETUP.OEM

# <component_name> is one of computer, display, keyboard, mouse,
# "keyboard layout", or scsi.

What happens if we "fake" that firadisk is (say) a "display" and winvblock is (still say) a "mouse"? :unsure:

Or possibly this changed with XP? (it is seemingly still valid for 2K):

http://downloadmirro.../eng/readme.txt

But then some info around is obsolete:
http://www.reasonco....64/txtsetup.oem

I.e. what if there is only one "default" but one for each component?

Wonko

#20 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6885 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:44 PM

As I said, I have this all working now with one driver per disk (=2), thanks anyway.

The problem with the file I posted was just that there were multiple defaults which Setup won't accept.

#21 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14628 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:59 PM

As I said, I have this all working now with one driver per disk (=2), thanks anyway.

The problem with the file I posted was just that there were multiple defaults which Setup won't accept.

Sure, but if I got it right the original idea was to have the possibility of three or more of them drivers. :unsure: (or maybe that was just wimb's idea :dubbio:).

If you prefer, I was wondering if there were other ways to skin that cat. ;)

If you could post your "final" setup, would anyway be of use, (or a link to your site where this "final" version is).

Wonko

#22 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6885 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:39 PM

I am still running into problems where an inf file refers to more than one driver but I can only specify one driver line, so only one driver is copied across by text-mode setup.... 

All I need to do is make the oemsetup.txt file cause Setup to copy the driver.sys file over...

Then it occurred to me that I can have multiple catalog entries in the txtsetup.oem file but AFAIK XP textmode doesn't use them, in fact it probably does not even care what the files are... they need not even be cat files... they could be any file like .sys files for instance... :dubbio: 

So for every driver file present on the F6 disk, I have added a catalog line (even if the driver.sys is already in the driver line), e.g.

[Files.scsi.iastor3]
driver=disk1,iastor3.sys,iaStor
inf=disk1,iaahci.inf
catalog=disk1,iaAHCI.cat
catalog=disk1,iastor3.sys
catalog=disk1,iastor.sys

and the result is.....

:1st:  :happy_dance2: :happy_dance2: :happy_dance2: :happy_dance2:  IT WORKS! :happy_dance2:

• wimb likes this

#23 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6885 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:15 AM

Attached are the two txtsetup.oem files and directory listings for a VBox system with a SCSI controller (needs symmpiv driver (not lsi_scsi driver).

This allows an ISO boot from an XP Setup ISO without the need to press F6 to load the firadisk and symmpiv drivers.

There are duplicated lines (caused by the logic in my dpms.bat script) but these don't matter.

When running E2B Install from XP, it runs my DPMS script and finds two OEM drivers, lsi_scsi  (W2K) and symmpiv (WXP), it then asks the user which one they want to load as the default. If you choose lsi_scsi then you get an 'lsi_scsi.sys could not be found' message  (though it is there!), if you choose the symmpiv driver then it installs XP just fine.

Attached Files

#24 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14628 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:51 AM

Attached are the two txtsetup.oem files and directory listings for a VBox system with a SCSI controller (needs symmpiv driver (not lsi_scsi driver).

This allows an ISO boot from an XP Setup ISO without the need to press F6 to load the firadisk and symmpiv drivers.

I don't get it.

Today I am probably a bit more retarded than usual, but I don't understand, could you better explain?

The two .txt's contain (each) 4 (four) drivers:

1. lsi_scsi="LSI Logic Ultra320 SCSI RAID/2000/VMWare LSI (W2K3)"
  2. symmpiv="LSI Logic SAS 3000 / VMWare v10 (WXP)"
  3. firadisk=FiraDisk_Driver
  4. WinVBlk=WinVBlock_Driver

One has scsi=symmpiv as "default", the other one has scsi=firadisk.

When you have them on (I presume) first and second floppy, what happens?

You are prompted to choose between two options (lsi_scsi  and symmpiv ) of which one won' t work (and as such it is not an option) and you have to choose symmpiv anyway? :unsure:

Then which drivers are installed?

1. All four of them.
  2. Only symmpiv and firadisk.
  3. Only symmpiv, firadisk and WinVBlk

Wonko

#25 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6885 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:04 AM

When DPMS.bat runs, if there is more than one OEM driver, it will prompt the user to choose which one you want for floppy 1  (floppy 0 must be either firadisk or winvblock)

The [Defaults] section defines which will be loaded by Setup if F6 is not pressed - so firadisk and symmpiv will be loaded automatically.

XP does not prompt unless you press F6.

So in this case, winvblock is ignored  (unless the user presses F6 and chooses it).

Any files mentioned in the symmpiv section will be copied across

[Files.scsi.symmpiv]
inf=d1,lsi_scsi.inf
inf=d1,lsi_scsi.inf
catalog=d1,lsi_scsi.cat
inf=d1,symmpi.inf
inf=d1,symmpi.inf
catalog=d1,mpixp32.cat
driver=d1,symmpi.sys,symmpiv
catalog=d1,lsi_scsi.sys
catalog=d1,symmpi.sys

lsi_scsi.sys and lsi_scsi.inf and lsi_scsi.cat will be copied over and XP will attempt to auto-install them in GUI-mode  (all inf= will be evaluated with PnP in GUI-mode).

But the only driver loaded in text-mode (forced by the Defaults section) will be symmpi.sys (and firadisk),

In fact, in this case, lsi_scsi is actually a W2K driver and so is ignored by XP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users