#1 doveman

doveman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 444 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:26 PM

I have a PC running Win7 x64 Ultimate that I use as my HTPC and a second gaming machine for LAN gaming.

On occasion (maybe happened twice in a month) when resuming from standby I get a BSOD with Stop 04. Then I press the reset button and when it tries to boot it can't find GRLDR, so I assume it can't see the HDD properly. After turning it off and doing a cold boot it works fine.

It has 1TB Samsung HD103UJ and a 640GB WD 6400AAKS. The Samsung is the main boot drive and there's a copy of grldr on both the C: and D: partitions. There's actually a copy on the WD I: partition as well, so I guess the boot error suggests that neither drive was accessible.

Looking at the SMART info in HD Tune, it shows only a warning for both drives on (C7)Ultra DMA CRC Error Count, with data of 29 for the Samsung and 2 for the WD. These errors could have accumulated a long time ago, perhaps when I was using a different cable though and there's no way to know if any have been recent.

Device Manager shows it's using the Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller but I've just let it update online to the AMD SATA Controller, so maybe that will help. The board is a Gigabyte MA780G-UD3H  http://www.gigabyte....spx?pid=3004#ov with 8GB RAM and a 6850 graphics card.

Looking at the System log, the only clue before it BSOD is at 08:48 (the line before shows it resumed from sleep at 08:44):

"The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort1."

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14568 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:33 PM

"The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort1."

Cable.

See (just as an example):

http://www.msfn.org/...atapi-event-11/

:cheers:

Wonko

#3 doveman

doveman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 444 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:45 PM

Thanks Wonko, makes sense but I wanted to ask first before moving all my furniture to get the PC out (I'm having work done on my place at the moment, so everything's piled up wherever there's a space!) in case it might be a software/driver issue.

#4 doveman

doveman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 444 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:47 PM

Well that AMD SATA driver that Microsoft kindly installed for me is now causing the PC to BSOD with a 7B error on booting  :fool:

I've changed the cables for both the HDDs now anyway and can boot into my other Windows OK, so do I just need to edit the registry hive for the broken Windows and in the active ControlSet, change the services amdsata to Start=3 and atapi, pciide and msahci to Start=0? There's an amdxata as well but that's set to 0 in my working Windows, so I guess it's alright to leave it on that in the broken one?

EDIT: Hmm, no that didn't work and I still got the same BSOD. Checking the broken registry again, I see an amd_sata amd_xata as well as amdsata and amdxata. I didn't see these before so I don't know if they've just been created since the last boot or not. Both are set to 3 and 0 respectively anyway.

EDIT: Well I got it booted by setting it to IDE mode in the BIOS. I've installed the AMD 13.4 SB driver package now but that only seemed to install a USB Filter driver, so what do I need to do to reinstall the AHCI driver and get that working?

#5 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14568 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:47 PM

I am not familiar with those drivers, let alone WIndows 7 (and particularly the x64 version), you can try to follow this:

http://forums.pcper....talling-Windows

Tha one is for XP, 32 bit and ICH9, but the general idea should be similar :unsure:

Wonko

#6 doveman

doveman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 444 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:03 PM

Yeah thanks. As you say that's very much for Intel and it seems rather hard to even find an AMD driver, so maybe it's meant to just use the one that comes with Windows. That's what I tried before though by upgrading the driver from the Standard AHCI using Device Manager and it resulted in not being able to boot. I guess I could try upgrading from the Standard IDE and selecting the Standard AHCI driver manually and rebooting and see what happens  :unsure:

I noticed comparing the working and non-working registrys that the latter was missing a particular key (it may have been the CriticalDeviceDatabase one) compared to the former, so I'm not sure why that wasn't created. I'm not sure I could just copy it across though (by export/import) as it may reference other keys, etc that differ between the two installs.

I seem to recall having to upgrade some systems from IDE to AHCI before and getting some advice here, although I can't recall if that was with XP or Win7 but I'll see if I can find that thread and maybe it will help :)

#7 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14568 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:18 PM

Most probably you need to enable the MSAHCI:

http://support.micro...kb/922976/en-us

Wonko

#8 doveman

doveman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 444 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:22 PM

Thanks, I'll try that fix but I already had msahci set to 0 so I'm not that hopeful as that's all the fix appears to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users