Photo

What advantage has/will have a Win8PE over a Win7PE?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:22 AM

With everybody jumping on the Win8PE wagon, i was wondering: "What advantage has/will have a Win8PE over a Win7PE?"

:cheers:

#2 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:46 PM

The Metro interface. :)

But now seriously, I would expect a serious change underneath the hood in regards to things like the task manager, the way how drivers are dealt and a less frequent BSOD experience. Also, I heard (not tested) that native performance of the windows 8 install is faster and more responsive than the predecessor, so we might see a good speed up improvement as an advantage to consider.

In practical terms for a Windows PE repair boot disk, I see as advantage the availability of newish file system drivers albeit these can likely be later be made available as SP for Win7 and from there I guess we could somehow add them up as well.

I guess this sums up my opinion, hope it helps.

#3 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:13 PM

Touch screens. :w00t:

You know how technicians all over the world were craving for touch interface (second only to Server administrators) :whistling:.

Seriously, there is NO revolution that I have seen "under the hood" in Windows 8.

There is a faster booting system, support for more recent hardware "built-in", lots of needless bloat - that thankfully will be largely removed in a PE.

Possibly there are good improvements in the stupid BOOTMGR (which remains stupid anyway) connected with EFI/UEFI, but the actual *need* for it has to be verified.

But hey, it's new, which it means that it must be cool!  :frusty:

@Nuno

Which particular filesystems do you have in mind?

Choose between:

1. exFAT that is already supported by any previous NT system
  2. protogon FS (or ReFS, or whatever it is named today) which is not actually implemented anywhere if not - unless I am mistaken - on some Server versions
  3. other (please detail)

Wonko

#4 maanu

maanu

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1134 posts
  •  
    Pakistan

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:40 PM

the only good PE system ever was , server 2003 with Native support ( a nativepe , chinese invented which loads pe in 2 stages , one kickstart image with veryyy basic ide kernel level drivers , and they mount the WIM file later with actual PE files on it ) , and i used mass storage driver pack externally with help of grub4ods. 

then some stupid manufacturers decided to made " Windows 7 ONLY systems /latops " so eventually i had to use windows 7 PE because of mass storage drivers not supported by the official pack. 

so in a nutshell , as per my poor knowledge , mass storage compatability is the major reason for upgradation in terms of PE . 

#5 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:09 PM

@maanu
I have actually had quite good experiences with ignoring the propaganda and using Win7 drivers in XP or vice versa.
Only prerequisition is, that it is not an installer. Those check the Windows version and exit if the 'wrong' Windows is found.

#6 Rootman

Rootman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 382 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:19 PM

I replicated by Win7PE in Win8PE and am not that impressed.  The ISO is smaller but the resultant PE laden with all kinds of screwy issues.  The "GUI formerly known as METRO" is worthless IMHO and I stick with the classic menu addon.  Things that were simple in WinXPPE and Win7PE are quirky or just don't work in Win8PE.  The ribbon bar in Explorer is just unworkable.

About Windows 8 in general, I think that it 8 will be another Vista and largely ignored by it's largest userbase - corporate users.  Hopefully MS will realize this and return the start menu as an option.  I work for a Fortune 1000 company and there are NO plans on implementing Win 8, we are waiting with bated breath for the next version.  Beyond that I don't know what we will do, probably use the above mentioned Classic Menu app or something like Start8.

• RedRamIH likes this

#7 steelbone

steelbone

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 126 posts
  •  
    Austria

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:36 PM

Microsoft will Implement a Kind of Startbutton with 8.1.  Still not the Start Menu which i personally prefere. But this is only a Kind of Sight and Taste. 

Each user which is Technicial experienced know how to change Windows8 to get same look like XP/win7,........ That's a Minute work rofl.

from Sight of PE.  i used long long time the Win7PE and had some Problems.

then i tested  the new Project of ChrisR   > and have to say >>>> i wouldn't never go back to Win7PE again ;).  everything is working now.

@Rootman:  if you're working as an IT Technician maybe > then i'am wondering how you could compare windows8 with Windows Vista based only on the "Gui" Topic.   i never would compare that.    Windows Vista overall was very instable > and the First Version where they changed tooooo much.

If you make some Performance Tests > then you see that Windows8/2012 is the current Windows Distribution which delivers the best Performance.  you don't even get this with Windows 2008R2/Win7.

So what do you need? and what do you use?  it's a Question of that and nothing more. but if i compare only the Kernel and the Performance of the Distri itself > then it's the best ones of MS in the Moment.

i install classicshell > and then i don't care anymore > gui topic solved. it's only a Taste and nothing more. HAs nothing to do about stability or Performance.

So every OS is only a Slave of an other ones. Because Time is running and theire will be everytime a new Follower.

Best regards

Steel

• Brito likes this

#8 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:05 AM

Native USB 3 boot support.

Improved support for running from USB (Win8ToGo).

More up-to-date driver support.

Runs faster and more reliable running from a USB boot device.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users