#1 yawnny

yawnny
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:48 PM

Hey there guys, 

I’ve got a working bootable flash drive set up primarily following Tutorial #63 on http://www.rmprepusb.com. I have my WIN7 32 & 64 bit, WIN Vista 32 & 64 bit bootable installs working flawlessly. However, I seem to have hit a bit of a stumbling block with the Windows XP install.

I’m testing this out with the Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3 (x86) - CD (English) ISO from Technet (I am a subscriber).

I can get to the point where I hit F6, specify the drivers I want (Both FiraDisk and WinVblock 32 bits) then I test out an AHCI Driver from the list (I’ve also tried this method while running my Hard Disk controller in IDE mode).

After I’ve specified these files the install will start running through the files it’s gathering and then get to the point where it say’s “Setup Is Starting Windows”.. waits a couple seconds, then just goes to a black screen…

I then retried the install selecting JUST the Winvblock driver, and the AHCI driver which resulted in a BSOD. Afterwards, I tried setting the controller to Compatibility (IDE) mode and running it with Winvblock (BSOD) , then FiraDisk (Black Screen).. selecting both (FiraDisk and WinVblock) will yield a black screen. The LED’s on the laptop and HDD activity seem to still be going.. however a cold shut down is required to restart.

I noticed the FiraDisk folder has no txtsetup.oem file.. Should there be?

I didn’t see this issue pop up in the troubleshooting for I thought I’d ask here about this issue. I’m on a Thinkpad W520 Laptop (In case you want to look up the specs such as Chipset and such).

Thanks in advance!

John Foster

Edited by yawnny, 05 March 2013 - 08:51 PM.

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:43 AM

By "blank" you mean "black" (and possibly with a cursor static or flashing in left top corner of the screen)?

Lenovo laptops are known for their "queer" BIOS that uses 240 heads and usually when there is a mismatch in the CHS geometry number of heads (the default is 255 heads) the result is such a blank screen.

This may (or may not) be connected to the issue you are having.

Is the hard disk pre-partitioned/formatted or is it new/blank/wiped?

:cheers:

Wonko

#3 watchoutz_xyz

watchoutz_xyz
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Indonesia

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:40 PM

i got the same result, black screen, when trying to list my hard drive

i'm using usb hard drive hitachi 320GB

#4 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:05 PM

i got the same result, black screen, when trying to list my hard drive

i'm using usb hard drive hitachi 320GB

Well, no.

(meaning that "listing" a hard drive won't produce that, it may "lock" the booted system, it may switch it off or reboot it, but NOT make a black/blank screen while booting the second part of XP setup, in any case this may happen ONLY when booting from a disk drive)

Some of the "gory" details of this geometry mismatch can be found on this thread:

http://www.911cd.net...topic=23408&hl=

:cheers:

Wonko

#5 ilko

ilko

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 500 posts
  •  
    Bulgaria

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:04 PM

Try adding:

map --e820cycles=3

right above this line:

map --hook

in this part of in menu.lst:

iftitle [if exist /_iso/Windows/XPPROSP3.iso] INSTALL XP PRO - STEP 1 - XP Setup from ISO file using FiraDisk\nRemember to select both AHCI driver AND FiraDisk AND WinVBlock drivers!!!
#hd0 is USB
#hd1 is real HDD if only one HDD
# note: --mem is not needed to load XP.ISO in this step
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /winvblock.ima.gz
map --mem /winvblock.ima.gz (fd0)
map --mem /winvblock.ima.gz  (fd1)
# if this loads the ISO into memory slowly - then you need to run WinContig on the ISO file on your USB drive to speed it up!
map  /_iso/Windows/XPPROSP3.iso (0xff) || map  --mem /_iso/Windows/XPPROSP3.iso (0xff)
# set real internal HDD to be hd0 and USB to swap with it...
set /a HDCNT=*0x475 & 0xff - 1
set topmap=(hd%HDCNT%)
clear
if %HDCNT%>=1 map (hd0) %topmap% && map (hd1) (hd0) && echo Mapping (hd0) to %topmap% and (hd1) to (hd0)
if %HDCNT%>=2 map (hd2) (hd1) && if %HDCNT%>=3 map (hd3) (hd2) && if %HDCNT%>=4 map (hd4) (hd3)  && if %HDCNT%>=5 map (hd5) (hd4)
map --hook
root (0xff)
map --status
echo
chainloader (0xff)/i386/setupldr.bin || chainloader (0xff)/I386/SETUPLDR.BIN || chainloader (0xff)
echo
pause You MUST press F6 when prompted, then hit S to select WinVBlock 32, S to select FiraDisk driver, then hit S again to select your AHCI driver (e.g. Atom Netbook=WinVBlock+ICH7R/DH, DQ67 series 6=FiraDisk+Desktop,Workstation,Server Express)
clear
pause Now quickly hit [Enter] twice (and then F6 if you need to install drivers) ...
clear

http://reboot.pro/to...45b-2011-07-14/

#6 yawnny

yawnny
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:56 PM

Try adding:

map --e820cycles=3

right above this line:

map --hook

in this part of in menu.lst:

iftitle [if exist /_iso/Windows/XPPROSP3.iso] INSTALL XP PRO - STEP 1 - XP Setup from ISO file using FiraDisk\nRemember to select both AHCI driver AND FiraDisk AND WinVBlock drivers!!!
#hd0 is USB
#hd1 is real HDD if only one HDD
# note: --mem is not needed to load XP.ISO in this step
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /winvblock.ima.gz
map --mem /winvblock.ima.gz (fd0)
map --mem /winvblock.ima.gz  (fd1)
# if this loads the ISO into memory slowly - then you need to run WinContig on the ISO file on your USB drive to speed it up!
map  /_iso/Windows/XPPROSP3.iso (0xff) || map  --mem /_iso/Windows/XPPROSP3.iso (0xff)
# set real internal HDD to be hd0 and USB to swap with it...
set /a HDCNT=*0x475 & 0xff - 1
set topmap=(hd%HDCNT%)
clear
if %HDCNT%>=1 map (hd0) %topmap% && map (hd1) (hd0) && echo Mapping (hd0) to %topmap% and (hd1) to (hd0)
if %HDCNT%>=2 map (hd2) (hd1) && if %HDCNT%>=3 map (hd3) (hd2) && if %HDCNT%>=4 map (hd4) (hd3)  && if %HDCNT%>=5 map (hd5) (hd4)
map --hook
root (0xff)
map --status
echo
chainloader (0xff)/i386/setupldr.bin || chainloader (0xff)/I386/SETUPLDR.BIN || chainloader (0xff)
echo
pause You MUST press F6 when prompted, then hit S to select WinVBlock 32, S to select FiraDisk driver, then hit S again to select your AHCI driver (e.g. Atom Netbook=WinVBlock+ICH7R/DH, DQ67 series 6=FiraDisk+Desktop,Workstation,Server Express)
clear
pause Now quickly hit [Enter] twice (and then F6 if you need to install drivers) ...
clear

http://reboot.pro/to...45b-2011-07-14/

This looks very promising. Thanks for the input guys. I'm new here but already getting a sense of a great community!

I'll be trying this out when I get home from work tonight.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: xp, rmprepusb, turorial, usb, booting, multiboot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users