Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Booting VirtualBox with USB workaround

usb virtualbox grub4dos plop

Best Answer steve6375 , 26 February 2013 - 12:18 PM

Is the Win7 64-bit or special in any way? Did you try an plain MS Win7 32-bit ISO extracted to a USB drive?

How about creating a virtual HDD, mounting the HDD, copying the USB stick to the virtual HDD, dismounting it, then boot from it via VBox?

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
307 replies to this topic

#151 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7313 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films,guitars, www.easy2boot.com
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:04 AM

The problem was that even if I had

IDE Primary Master - (none)

IDe Primary Slave = VHDD

VMS still put the USB vmdk in Secondary Master ! So I HAD to put the vmdk in manually.

Both problems now seem fixed with the new version  :1st: 

#152 DavidB

DavidB

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 611 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:13 AM

1.1 Beta 4 version

Changes:

Improvement: it will write in the VMSDrive***.vmdk file only if it's absolutely necessary. This way it will decrease the chances of a "clash" between VB and VMS.

LE: link removed, better version in the next posts...

#153 DavidB

DavidB

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 611 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:39 PM

1.1 Beta 5 version

Changes:

An important improvement: Until now, after dismount + remount, you could see the changes in files/folders (normal/usual changes).
Now you can see also changes in volume size, number of volumes and so on.
For example, if you divide a volume into 2 in the VM, now the change is visible also on the host OS after the VM is closed...

#154 DavidB

DavidB

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 611 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:11 PM

Sorry for so many Betas in such short time :D

One last improvement: In Add/Edit >> First/Second drive to add:
- card readers without card inserted are removed;
- added drives without mounted volumes (unpartitioned, unknown partition type for Windows and so on); they will not be dismounted/remounted but maybe someone will just want to easily add them to the VM (using the vmdk)...

LE: link removed, you can find a better vesion in the next posts...

#155 Blackcrack

Blackcrack

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 438 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:19 PM

naa, no problem, this shows to you are manny work on it and

be we honest, i be happy about this many Actualisations :)

and this let show how fun do you have on it :)

:cheerleader: :good: Cool ! :good: :cheerleader:

Sorry for so many Betas in such short time :D

#156 DavidB

DavidB

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 611 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:33 PM

Just a preview about what I'm working now :D

Clipboard01.png

#157 Blackcrack

Blackcrack

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 438 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:58 AM

wow, looks cool, vorallem, that one since then now sees the USB stick, that's really well !

:bounce8: <- The running eight cylinder - / 16 Ventil's ! (V16) + 2 Programmers  = V18 :yahoo:

:cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

best Regards

Blacky

only if noone works on You Project or nothing in the Mailinglist or something nothing, at the latest then,

then you know that you were sent into the desert ! :alone: *bG* (cool smily, therefor i have invented this sentence *lol*)

#158 DavidB

DavidB

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 611 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:39 AM

1.1 Beta 7 version

Changes:

Major improvement to the interface: now you can set to see only what you need (Number/Name/FirstDrive/SecondDrive/VMtype) in the main interface (right mouse click on the list header).
This way you won't have to edit that entry to see some of the characteristics.
Each column size will be remembered in the next session. If you left click on the headers it will sort the entries into ascending order (by that column).
Improvement: the position of the main window will be remembered in percents not pixels. This way, if you close the application, change screen resolution and start again the application, it will show the main window in the same position on the screen.
Bugfix: in the previous version it generated a new GUID only when it was really necessary. I found such a situation and adapted the code.
Improvement: application settings are stored in a cfg file instead the registry.

Just a small problem: the vml files from the previous versions need to be rebuilded so the application could display properly all the info.

#159 Blackcrack

Blackcrack

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 438 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:48 AM

oh a versions reverse Jump ?

*bg*

best

Blacky

#160 DavidB

DavidB

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 611 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:28 AM

oh a versions reverse Jump ?

*bg*

best

Blacky

Don't understand..

Just copy the new version over the old one, start it and edit the setting of each VM entry (click on Edit and click on OK) so VMS can rebuild that file (*.vml).

It's simple...

#161 Blackcrack

Blackcrack

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 438 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:35 AM

hihi :)

it's not 1.1 Beta 7 ?

1.0 Beta 7 version

attachicon.gifVirtual machine starter GUI exe.zip

Changes:

Major improvement to the interface: now you can set to see only what you need (Number/Name/FirstDrive/SecondDrive/VMtype) in the main interface (right mouse click on the list header).~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#162 DavidB

DavidB

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 611 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:44 AM

:)))

Sorry, fixed it.

Thanks.

#163 DavidB

DavidB

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 611 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:01 PM

I need your opinion about something.
In the new version more information is shown to the user, which is good, but sometimes is maybe too much.
I'm thinking about 2 methods to help the user read this information:
1. The brightness of the background color of the entries with even number is slightly decreased (example: from 100% white to a little gray);
2. The text from the columns >= 3 has its brightness of the color slightly increased (example: from 100% black to some black/gray);

Here are the screenshots.

Before:

Before.PNG

After:

After.PNG

Well, what do you think...?

#164 Blackcrack

Blackcrack

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 438 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:06 PM

the 2nd it's better, because, some peoples need a line to better read.. looks better.. let it in :)

#165 DavidB

DavidB

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 611 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:28 AM

1.1 Beta 8 version

Attached File  Virtual machine starter GUI exe.zip   467.57KB   249 downloads

Changes:

Improvement: the brightness of text color and background color is automatically changed in entries list to help the user read the displayed information.
Improvement: the context menu from the entries list is a bit improved (for example it behaves differently if you click on empty area or if you click on an entry).
Bugfix: the Add/Edit window was using the Name field to check for doubles but it didn't work when the Name column was hidden. Fixed now...
And a lot of small improvements and small bugfixes which doesn't worth mentioning (each one)...

#166 Blackcrack

Blackcrack

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 438 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:07 AM

humm.. maybe it is not bad if you create a Webpage for it :)
my suggestion, on fav.cc as subdomain, maby it's on the bottom some lil
Advices, but there be 8Gig for free ! (the advice can you remove if you let at all pages ( "<!--" ) ;)
So do you have a Webpage for free for VMS ( VMS.fav.cc ) or virtualmashinstarter.fav.cc ;)
or upload there in the app-center http://reboot.pro/fi...tegory/2-tools/ (ask Nuno Brito)
But an own Page whant maby betrter, because, I have there USB-Storage-Drivers for WinXP
and maybe goodys uploading for installing  on XP or other Systems on USB, for wiki can you
take a easy one https://www.dokuwiki.org/dokuwiki (an textbased db) and for Easy upload the files,
the Ajaxplorer, on it can you edit the html-files direcktly online, ajaxplorer can work with textdb too ;)
so can you create an Ajaxplorer-Contolcenter + webpages in the underfolder ;) and dont need an
cpanel or ftp anymore for filemanagement *bg*
you can work with htaccess :) / -> /webspace  and /ajaxplorer to ajaxplorer :) hahh.. ;)

You VirtualMashin Starter have a big potensial ! it can install at all on an USB !
And therefor maybe a Webpage with an Easy http://forum.myupb.com
PHPForum with an textdb or insert in the htaccess (/forum) the redirection to this forum :)

for i can advertise the program in a Freeware Forum http://www.essential-freebies.de :)

best regards
Blacky

p.s. installing at moment with beta8 my winXP and try out an USB-Storage Driver, and we have the Vesa-Drivers  there,
if usb works, so i whant add the vesa drivers for test if works :)

Edited by Blackcrack, 03 July 2013 - 09:12 AM.

#167 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7313 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films,guitars, www.easy2boot.com
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:51 PM

Suggestion: Instead of the VM ID, could you show the VM Name?

It is difficult to know which VM has been selected when you review or edit an SVM. The ID number is pretty meaningless to humans and the VM name cannot be changed so I see no reason why you can't display the VM name instead of the big long id number? (or was there a good reason?)

#168 DavidB

DavidB

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 611 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:30 PM

humm.. maybe it is not bad if you create a Webpage for it :)
my suggestion, on fav.cc as subdomain, maby it's on the bottom some lil
Advices, but there be 8Gig for free ! (the advice can you remove if you let at all pages ( "<!--" ) ;)
So do you have a Webpage for free for VMS ( VMS.fav.cc ) or virtualmashinstarter.fav.cc ;)
or upload there in the app-center http://reboot.pro/fi...tegory/2-tools/ (ask Nuno Brito)
But an own Page whant maby betrter, because, I have there USB-Storage-Drivers for WinXP
and maybe goodys uploading for installing  on XP or other Systems on USB, for wiki can you
take a easy one https://www.dokuwiki.org/dokuwiki (an textbased db) and for Easy upload the files,
the Ajaxplorer, on it can you edit the html-files direcktly online, ajaxplorer can work with textdb too ;)
so can you create an Ajaxplorer-Contolcenter + webpages in the underfolder ;) and dont need an
cpanel or ftp anymore for filemanagement *bg*
you can work with htaccess :) / -> /webspace  and /ajaxplorer to ajaxplorer :) hahh.. ;)

You VirtualMashin Starter have a big potensial ! it can install at all on an USB !
And therefor maybe a Webpage with an Easy http://forum.myupb.com
PHPForum with an textdb or insert in the htaccess (/forum) the redirection to this forum :)

for i can advertise the program in a Freeware Forum http://www.essential-freebies.de :)

best regards
Blacky

p.s. installing at moment with beta8 my winXP and try out an USB-Storage Driver, and we have the Vesa-Drivers  there,
if usb works, so i whant add the vesa drivers for test if works :)

Thank you, Blackcrack, for the suggestions.
If, in the future, VMS will be much successful, I will seriously think about that...

Suggestion: Instead of the VM ID, could you show the VM Name?

It is difficult to know which VM has been selected when you review or edit an SVM. The ID number is pretty meaningless to humans and the VM name cannot be changed so I see no reason why you can't display the VM name instead of the big long id number? (or was there a good reason?)

Yes, the VM ID is the default choice in Add/Edit, but you can set VM Path if you want (and you can see its name there).
The VM name (and path) can be changed in the VBM but the (UU)ID will be always the same (that was the reason using it as default).
I will think about modifying VMS so you can simply choose the name of the VM and even display it in the main window (in one of the columns)...
Maybe I will try the same "trick" I did with the drives: internally using the (UU)ID but to the user displaying the model, the manufacturer and size :D

• steve6375 likes this

#169 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7313 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:39 PM

Yes, the VM ID is the default choice in Add/Edit, but you can set VM Path if you want (and you can see its name there).

The VM name (and path) can be changed in the VBM but the (UU)ID will be always the same (that was the reason using it as default).
I will think about modifying VMS so you can simply choose the name of the VM and even display it in the main window (in one of the columns)...
Maybe I will try the same "trick" I did with the drives: internally using the (UU)ID but to the user displaying the model, the manufacturer and size :D

It is quicker to just click on the  'tree structure' icon to see the name of the VM and then check the end few numbers in the list.

Personally, I would like to select the name of the VM and then, once selected, when I click on Edit - see the name in a box and the path in a separate 'info only' box (and maybe the id)?

Actually, thinking about it, the only reason I click on Edit is to see what VM I had assigned to the VMS name - if you showed 2 extra fields for the VM name + Type in the main list this would be very useful.

1  VB      VMSNAME   VMNAME1    Firstdrive   (2ndDrive)

2 QEMU  VMSNAME  VMNAME2    Firstdrive   (2ndDrive)

etc

Also when a VB VM is picked, could you auto-fill the empty VMS name field with the VB name?

cheers

Steve

#170 Zoso

Zoso

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 640 posts
  •  
    Isle of Man

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:57 PM

the thread title is confusing me here. very recently I started using virtualbox so that I could install XP directly to a .vhd file and boot that with Grub4Dos.

my current setup is XPx64 with latest (today actually) virtualbox and added extension pack installed and all of it is on USB HDD and booted, virtualbox works like this.

my confusion is what is the tool for exactly? it seems from reading it is to change boot order of VB so that the selected USB is set ahead of the selected .vhd but Im not sure that it is.

can it be used to test USB booting inside VB like if plop was working?

so far my first attempts to boot a USB before the attached .vhd in the VB VM are not working and I get "failed to dismount" error and then click yes to continue and then VB starts and the .vhd with xp boots inside and the selected USB I wanted to boot gets attached and is available inside the VM but not the oposite like I wanted.

I may be doing something wrong or it may be because I am already booted from a USB?

if someone can clear my confusion about what exactly the tool is for it may help. I havnt tried plop booting in VB yet so that is next.

#171 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7313 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:09 PM

That's why I wanted just a few line of Help info with the app!

1. The tool dismounts the USB drive and then runs the VM - this means you have full write access to the USB drive(s) inside the running VM session - this was not possible before!

2. To boot to USB, leave a 'gap' for VMS to fill with the USB drive that you pick (USB1).

e.g.

IDE Prim Master - (empty)  <- will be filled by VMS with USB drive assignment

IDE Prim Slave - VHDD

or

SATA Port 0 - (empty) <- will be filled by VMS with USB drive assignment

SATA Port 1 - VHDD

#172 DavidB

DavidB

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 611 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:39 PM

It is quicker to just click on the  'tree structure' icon to see the name of the VM and then check the end few numbers in the list.

Personally, I would like to select the name of the VM and then, once selected, when I click on Edit - see the name in a box and the path in a separate 'info only' box (and maybe the id)?

Actually, thinking about it, the only reason I click on Edit is to see what VM I had assigned to the VMS name - if you showed 2 extra fields for the VM name + Type in the main list this would be very useful.

1  VB      VMSNAME   VMNAME1    Firstdrive   (2ndDrive)

2 QEMU  VMSNAME  VMNAME2    Firstdrive   (2ndDrive)

etc

Also when a VB VM is picked, could you auto-fill the empty VMS name field with the VB name?

cheers

Steve

You're talking about this?

Capture.PNG

That's why I wanted just a few line of Help info with the app!

Ok but a little bit of experience with VirtualBox helps more than a few lines of help in VMS because only this way the user can understand what VMS is doing/saying.

the thread title is confusing me here. very recently I started using virtualbox so that I could install XP directly to a .vhd file and boot that with Grub4Dos.

my current setup is XPx64 with latest (today actually) virtualbox and added extension pack installed and all of it is on USB HDD and booted, virtualbox works like this.

my confusion is what is the tool for exactly? it seems from reading it is to change boot order of VB so that the selected USB is set ahead of the selected .vhd but Im not sure that it is.

can it be used to test USB booting inside VB like if plop was working?

so far my first attempts to boot a USB before the attached .vhd in the VB VM are not working and I get "failed to dismount" error and then click yes to continue and then VB starts and the .vhd with xp boots inside and the selected USB I wanted to boot gets attached and is available inside the VM but not the oposite like I wanted.

I may be doing something wrong or it may be because I am already booted from a USB?

if someone can clear my confusion about what exactly the tool is for it may help. I havnt tried plop booting in VB yet so that is next.

I haven't seen many computers with XP x64...
You say that VMS is showing "failed to dismount". Usually this happens when it doesn't have full access to that USB drive...
Have you started VMS with administrative privileges? Do you have some application and/or OS setting(s) that will not allow VMS full access to the drive...?

If you start cmd.exe and type "chkdsk (drive/volume)letter: /x" (for example "chkdsk e: /x", is scanning the drive or it's saying:
Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be
checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

LE: to be completely clear: your host OS is XP x64 and you want to boot from an USB drive in VirtualBox. The USB drive is bootable? If yes, which OS and/or boot manager do you have on it? How it was partitioned...?

#173 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7313 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:56 PM

I am also having problems with the latest version:

1. Make a new VM in VBox Mangler - IDE Prim Master - empty, IDE Primary Slave VHDD 20GB

2. Now run VMS and make a new machine - VMS picks USB VMSDrive000.vmdk

3. Now make another VM the same as the first VM (different name)

4. Now run VMS - VMS picks VMSDrive000.vmdk again

5. Now try to run the VM's  (either VBox or VMS) - I get an error about 'Cannot register the hard disk due to it already existing???

Cannot register the hard disk 'C:\Users\Administrator\VirtualBox VMs\IDE USB VT OFF1\VMSDrive000.vmdk' {dc6dac33-45de-abf1-5195-296b6d5f4b03} because a hard disk 'C:\Users\Administrator\VirtualBox VMs\USB+SCSI VT OFF\VMSDrive000.vmdk' with UUID {dc6dac33-45de-abf1-5195-296b6d5f4b03} already exists.
Result Code:
E_INVALIDARG (0x80070057)
Component:
VirtualBox
Interface:
IVirtualBox {3b2f08eb-b810-4715-bee0-bb06b9880ad2}

#174 Zoso

Zoso

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 640 posts
  •  
    Isle of Man

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:28 PM

Im also a newb with XPx64. I have chosen to use it specifically for running Virtual Machines for several reasons but the main reason is it is quicker/faster than the later M$ OSs.

I was not running with full access. now, I can run VB and VBS both separately as admin with full access rights but I dont know how to make VBS start VB with full access?

now I have set it up as steve shows so when I figure out how to get full access to VB through VBS I think it will be working.

side note: I can boot USB with VB through plop but only on version 4.0.6 so far and not the latest version. plop hangs with the latest VB. also, I was unable to downgrade the VB extension pack from latest to the 4.0.6 and got many errors trying so I reloaded the OS and installed 4.0.6 without extension pack and it worked but @ USB1.1 speed (very slow) and I didnt try to go past the Grub4Dos menu. I will try it with the matching extension pack after I get the access issues solved with VB/VBS. then I will add the extension and try VB/VBS again then plop.

it truely does seem VB devs do not want to allow direct usb support though. now I wonder if the VB BIOS can be hacked easily as VMWares?

anyway, cool development David and Steve also (as always!) I'll post back with any input I can and BTW your GUI is very sharp David, nice work!

#175 DavidB

DavidB

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 611 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:49 PM

I am also having problems with the latest version:

1. Make a new VM in VBox Mangler - IDE Prim Master - empty, IDE Primary Slave VHDD 20GB

2. Now run VMS and make a new machine - VMS picks USB VMSDrive000.vmdk

3. Now make another VM the same as the first VM (different name)

4. Now run VMS - VMS picks VMSDrive000.vmdk again

5. Now try to run the VM's  (either VBox or VMS) - I get an error about 'Cannot register the hard disk due to it already existing???

Cannot register the hard disk 'C:\Users\Administrator\VirtualBox VMs\IDE USB VT OFF1\VMSDrive000.vmdk' {dc6dac33-45de-abf1-5195-296b6d5f4b03} because a hard disk 'C:\Users\Administrator\VirtualBox VMs\USB+SCSI VT OFF\VMSDrive000.vmdk' with UUID {dc6dac33-45de-abf1-5195-296b6d5f4b03} already exists.
Result Code:
E_INVALIDARG (0x80070057)
Component:
VirtualBox
Interface:
IVirtualBox {3b2f08eb-b810-4715-bee0-bb06b9880ad2}

I know this problem, I thought I solved it in Beta 7 but looks like the random GUID generator is not so "random"... Let me see what I can do to make it more "random" :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users