Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Booting VirtualBox with USB workaround

usb virtualbox grub4dos plop

Best Answer steve6375 , 26 February 2013 - 12:18 PM

Is the Win7 64-bit or special in any way? Did you try an plain MS Win7 32-bit ISO extracted to a USB drive?

How about creating a virtual HDD, mounting the HDD, copying the USB stick to the virtual HDD, dismounting it, then boot from it via VBox?

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
288 replies to this topic

#276 Blackcrack

Blackcrack

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 316 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:04 AM

nice :1st:

need only to say in the description maybe to be need a driver/USB-Storage-bugfix-package if used WinXP on usb

(maybe want create anyone it for that ;) )

if it's offizially on the File-download and in the Destription is write a need only a fixpack for XP for installing.. because XP it's realy small and perfectly as win32 NT for usb :) by side of Linux i586 :)

thank you very mutch for this Final :)

best regards

Blacky

#277 Zoso

Zoso

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 640 posts
  •  
    Isle of Man

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:35 AM

hi David, Im trying to figure out how to make VB boot a USB Flashdrive prepared by rufus or Winntsetup with W7.ISO and install W7 to a USB HDD.

since W7 refuses to install on USB HDD Im trying to figure out a workaround. I was using .vhd for install but I dont know how to image the VHD and restore that image on USB HDD.

is there a way your tool can add both USB drives and select boot order to specify which one boots?

also do you know if I can make VB think the USB HDD is not a USB like Qemu does?

I may try it with Qemu and your tool again but from past experience Qemu is very very slow doinga windows install.

nice job on the icon! I was thinking about a combat boot image with a USB symbol on it LOL but I havnt had my graphics software installed in ages.

edit: DUH.. I see the latest has exactly what I mentioned (add another USB) testing now..

edit#2: Dude! its working! installing w7 directly to USB now..

#278 DavidB

DavidB

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 611 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:35 AM

Hi, Zoso.

I was about to answer when I saw your 2 edits.

Glad that you found how to add the second drive. If later you want to change the boot order you can swap them in the Edit window.

Regarding "if I can make VB think the USB HDD is not a USB" I don't think that would be a problem as long as you don't check the USB drive in VirtualBox Manager >> VM Settings >> USB >> Add filter from device.

#279 Zoso

Zoso

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 640 posts
  •  
    Isle of Man

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:01 AM

installing from USB Flash to USB HDD worked on without a hitch! Im using VB on W7 on this and will test the same procedure on XPx64 later.

When I will find some time and energy to make a presentation I will publish it at http://reboot.pro/files

seems to be ready for prime time! its very easy and intuitive program to use.

makes VB 10x more useful! Thanks again.

#280 DavidB

DavidB

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 611 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:38 AM

installing from USB Flash to USB HDD worked on without a hitch! Im using VB on W7 on this and will test the same procedure on XPx64 later.

seems to be ready for prime time! its very easy and intuitive program to use.

makes VB 10x more useful! Thanks again.

You're welcome :)

#281 DavidB

DavidB

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 611 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 06:12 PM

New version and thread:

http://reboot.pro/fi...chine-usb-boot/

http://reboot.pro/to...-boot/?p=174939

#282 Blackcrack

Blackcrack

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 316 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 27 April 2014 - 02:01 PM

Hi,

oh nice, a News in an German ComputerNews COM!

img_0001.png img_0002.png

best regards
Blacky

#283 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6597 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films,guitars
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:16 PM

Please add to WishList - A way of starting VBox and specifying the 2nd Hard disk as the boot disk.

The Problem

Normally, when booting from a USB drive, the USB drive is hd0 in the BIOS, but once an OS has booted, the internal hard disk is HD0 and the USB drive is seen as 2nd (or later) drive. With VMUB, the first drive is the USB drive in all situations:

Result

When installing an OS to the VBox virtual hard disk and booting from VMUB in VBox, the boot files are placed on the USB drive by the OS installer (because it is seen as the 1st hard disk). This makes the USB drive unbootable (or at least it doesn't boot as expected any more) !

If only VBox had a way of specifying booting from the 2nd hard disk - we could boot set up VBox so that it boots like a normal system

An alternative would be to have an option in VMUB to swap over the two drives - i.e.

hd0 - Vdisk

hd1 - USB vmdk

Then display a message telling the user they must select 2nd drive in VBox BIOS manually as the boot device, in order to boot from USB drive.

P.S. Congratulations DavidB on getting into Com! magazine :clap:

P.P.S Only problem is grub4dos USB drive gives a 'missing MBR Helper' if it is not drive 0 when booting in VBox! Is this a bug in VirtualBox BIOS or grub boot code?

#284 eblip

eblip
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 April 2014 - 07:18 PM

Please add to WishList - A way of starting VBox and specifying the 2nd Hard disk as the boot disk.

The Problem

Normally, when booting from a USB drive, the USB drive is hd0 in the BIOS, but once an OS has booted, the internal hard disk is HD0 and the USB drive is seen as 2nd (or later) drive. With VMUB, the first drive is the USB drive in all situations:

Result

When installing an OS to the VBox virtual hard disk and booting from VMUB in VBox, the boot files are placed on the USB drive by the OS installer (because it is seen as the 1st hard disk). This makes the USB drive unbootable (or at least it doesn't boot as expected any more) !

If only VBox had a way of specifying booting from the 2nd hard disk - we could boot set up VBox so that it boots like a normal system

An alternative would be to have an option in VMUB to swap over the two drives - i.e.

hd0 - Vdisk

hd1 - USB vmdk

Then display a message telling the user they must select 2nd drive in VBox BIOS manually as the boot device, in order to boot from USB drive.

P.S. Congratulations DavidB on getting into Com! magazine :clap:

P.P.S Only problem is grub4dos USB drive gives a 'missing MBR Helper' if it is not drive 0 when booting in VBox! Is this a bug in VirtualBox BIOS or grub boot code?

Even though I used the VHD method you recommended over a year ago as a work around for this issue, I've always wanted to come back to this post and thank DavidB and everyone else for their amazing work with the vBox USB boot tool.  I've used it dozens of times and it's been incrededibly useful.

So I'd too like to congratulate DavidB on getting some attention to your hard work in the Com! magazine.

Sorry it took me so long to express my thanks.

Steve, your work is amazing as well.  RMPrepUSB is one of my favorite tools.  Keep up the great work.

#285 sebus

sebus

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 305 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 03:12 PM

Any plans to have 

Virtual Machine USB Boot

ported to Mac?

sebus

#286 DavidB

DavidB

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 611 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 04:41 PM

Well, couple of times I tried to port VMUB from Delphi 7 to Lazarus. This way you can compile it to Linux and Mac.
The problem is VMUB uses many API Windows functions which need to be replaced with Linux/Mac functions.
But I couldn't find any decent help/documentation for Linux/Mac in Lazarus.
Delphi has great help files (detailed explanations and examples) plus you can find many sites with informations + many forums.
Lazarus has poor help files + their forum is not that good. I posted there a few times and... nothing useful.

Just an example: Total Commander. It was developed in Delphi 2 and recently it was ported into Lazarus (for the 64 bit version). But the author never released a Linux/Mac version (same problems).

#287 sebus

sebus

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 305 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 06:57 PM

Pity, it would be very handy

sebus

#288 erwan.l

erwan.l

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1920 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 31 December 2014 - 07:11 PM

To compile to other platforms you could have a look at deplhi xe or crossfpc.
I am currently moving my sources to xe to be able to compile for x64.

#289 DavidB

DavidB

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 611 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 09:11 PM

For VMUB it won't be much improvement if it's made 64 bit. The main reason is because it's not using more than 5 MB of RAM.
About half a year ago I started testing a conversion for Delphi XE5 but I concluded it's not worth the work.
Reasons:
1. No speed improvement + increased RAM usage. For VMUB anyway, I noticed speed improvements for other apps using a lot of RAM.
2. XE5 is about 100 times the size of 7 plus it has a "heavy" interface. There is a noticeable drop in the speed and the stability of the OS after installation.
3. I don't have a few thousand Euro to buy a license.
4. I don't even have money to buy a Mac to test. And, since I have an AMD processor, I can't even use VirtualBox or VMware to emulate one.
5. Since you can't compile for Linux also, the potential "market" is only half.
6. The Mac source compilation is relatively new (added to the XE versions only in the last few years), so less support, fewer forums.

And Crossfpc has its own limitations...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users