2 replies to this topic

#1 ogreinside

ogreinside
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:26 AM

First time user of Xboot. I've been trying to find a utility that will help me quickly point to Windows Defender Offline ISOs for both 32-bit and 64-bit and let me choose which one on boot off a single media device. Sor far I haven't found one. I tried with Xboot 1.0 beta 14 today and it still didn't work. Here's what I did and what happened:

1. Downloaded both 32-bit and 64-bit tools for Windows Defender Offline: http://windows.micro...efender-offline
  2. Created ISOs for each one of the architectures (the third option labeled advanced)
  3. I named these ISOs with todays date (every time you run the tool it embeds the latest maleware definitions)
  4. Downloaded and ran https://sites.google...rxboot/download
  5. Drag and dropped the ISOs into Xboot and created a USB drive using Grub4dos ISO image Emulation for each ISO (I used syslinux for the boot loader)

Result: I watched the USB drive as Xboot copied it, and it copied the first ISO which was named WDO_Media32-2013-02-21.iso but Xboot put it here:

/images/wdomedia.iso

Once it started copying WDO_Media64-2013-02-21.iso that one also was named the same wdomedia.iso so naturally it overwrite the first one.

I inspected the following config file:

/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg

The following entry was all that was there (relevant to these ISOs):

### MENU START
LABEL -
MENU LABEL WDO_Media64-2013-02-21
LINUX /boot/syslinux/grub.exe
APPEND --config-file="ls /images/wdomedia.iso || find --set-root /images/wdomedia.iso;map --heads=0 --sectors-per-track=0 /images/wdomedia.iso (0xff) || map --heads=0 --sectors-per-track=0 --mem /images/wdomedia.iso (0xff);map --hook;chainloader (0xff)"
TEXT HELP
ENDTEXT
### MENU END

To get this to work I renamed the copied file to wdomedia64.iso and manually copied the other ISO to /images/ and named it wdomedia32.iso. Then I edited syslinux.cfg and duplicated the entry and changed them both as follows:

### MENU START
LABEL -
MENU LABEL WDO_Media32-2013-02-21
APPEND --config-file="ls /images/wdomedia32.iso || find --set-root /images/wdomedia32.iso;map --heads=0 --sectors-per-track=0 /images/wdomedia32.iso (0xff) || map --heads=0 --sectors-per-track=0 --mem /images/wdomedia32.iso (0xff);map --hook;chainloader (0xff)"
TEXT HELP
ENDTEXT
### MENU END

### MENU START
LABEL -
MENU LABEL WDO_Media64-2013-02-21
APPEND --config-file="ls /images/wdomedia64.iso || find --set-root /images/wdomedia64.iso;map --heads=0 --sectors-per-track=0 /images/wdomedia64.iso (0xff) || map --heads=0 --sectors-per-track=0 --mem /images/wdomedia64.iso (0xff);map --hook;chainloader (0xff)"
TEXT HELP
ENDTEXT
### MENU END

Now I can boot and select either WDO ISO to boot from. I verified by trying to boot to the 64-bit version on a 32-bit machine and got the appropriate error message, but selecting 32-bit version worked.

Is this the appropriate place to submit reports such as these?

It sure is too bad that Microsoft can't reconcile this into a single tool. In my experience most users who need this don't even know what architecture they are running unfortunately.

Thanks.

#2 ogreinside

ogreinside
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:32 PM

I added support for this to YUMI and sent it to the project's developer and he included it in the latest release if anyone is interested: http://www.pendrivel...ot-usb-creator/

#3 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:50 PM

Easy2Boot makes a grub4dos multiboot USB drive. You just copy all your ISOs on  (no special utility required) and it just works!

See here for a list of all those tested so far.

Watch the video to see how to boot many of the linux ISOs with persistence all from the same USB drive.

See the Windows video to see how to just add Windows Install ISOs and go.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: xboot, windows defender offline, syslinux, grub4dos

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users