Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

UEFI MULTI - Make Multi-Boot USB-Drive

windows 10 ssd wim linux uefi aio boot vhdx usb multiboot

Best Answer wimb , 3 weeks ago

There is a new version of UEFI MULTI available with new Grub4dos SVBus menu entries.

Mapping for VHD WIMBOOT is taken into account for various cases e.g VHD + WIM on USB Or on Internal Harddisk.

UEFI_MULTI determines the Drive Number for the MountPoint of the selected NTFS System Drive where the VHD resides.

UEFI_MULTI determines the DriveType and Bus Type of the selected NTFS System Drive.

In this way the program knows where VHD + WIM are located e.g. on USB Or on Internal Harddisk

and the program knows the Windows disk number which is used in menu.lst entries for WIMBOOT mapping in case the VHD + WIM are located on Internal Harddisk.

VHD + WIM located on NTFS drive of USB Harddisk Or  Portable SSD

iftitle [if exist (hd0,1)/W10x64_S3.vhd] (hd0,1)/W10x64_S3.vhd - SVBus  RAMDISK  - 2048 MB - map for WIMBOOT
map --top --mem (hd0,1)/W10x64_S3.vhd (hd-1)
map --hook
root (hd-1,0)
chainloader /bootmgr

=

VHD + WIM located on NTFS drive of Internal Disk

title W10x64_NL_1.vhd - SVBus  RAMDISK  - 2.0 GB - map as hd for WIMBOOT
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /W10x64_NL_1.vhd
map --top --mem /W10x64_NL_1.vhd (hd)
map --hook
root (hd-1,0)
chainloader /bootmgr

:cheers:

How to Make VHD WIMBOOT on USB and to use Grub4dos menu and SVBus driver for booting from RAMDISK

Manual available: [attachment=16506:VHD_WIMBOOT.pdf]

Best Results for speed of Portable VHD WIMBOOT obtained with SAMSUNG Portable SSD T5 250 GB with UEFI/MBR Partitioning with 20 GB FAT32 and 230 GB NTFS partition.

[attachment=16488:UEFI_MULTI-2019-03-02_140545.png] == [attachment=16487:W10x64-RAM-HelloWorld-2019-03-01_155130.png] == [attachment=16493:F2-VHD-USB-Ready-2019-03-03_113112.png]

With VHD WIMBOOT from USB Portable SSD we can have a full Win10 x64 of Size 600 MB booting from RAMDISK

as very fast Portable and always FRESH Operating System.

The only limitation is that booting from RAMDISK requires booting in BIOS mode with Grub4dos.

Hopefully we can have UEFI Secure support when Grub2 in future might be able to load such VHD into memory and launch Windows by chainloading bootmgfw.efi  :rolleyes:  :unsure:

But anyway booting from Windows Boot Manager menu as FILEDISK using Microsoft vhdmp.sys driver is available in BIOS and in UEFI Secure mode.

wimlib-clc CAPTURE followed by APPLY is important to reduce the size of the WIMBOOT Operating System from 3,5 GB down to 600 MB 

so that it can be located in VHD of Size 2 GB with total boottime 30 seconds which is OK.

Thanks to alacran for pointing me to wimlib of synchronicity (More Info: here) combined with  wimlib-clc of ReTokener    :)

Thanks to steve6375 for --top --mem and Wonko the Sane for (hd-1) and karyonix for (hd) map for WIMBOOT solution in Grub4dos menu   :worship:

VHD size 2 GB with full Win10x64 OS + Office Word and Excel + VLC player total size 600 MB in RAMDISK connected to WIM file of size 6 GB on USB NTFS drive

As compared to WinPE the VHD WIMBOOT has the advantage to have support for Office and Printer and any program can be installed which is all not the case for WinPE

In case of VHD WIMBOOT on each machine it takes extra boottime and space to adjust the drivers for that machine
The VHD WIMBOOT solution is Portable, but not as flexible as Win10XPE, where boottime is not dependant on machine hardware

For Portability it is good to have two VHD's
- On couple of other machines boot first with 10 GB VHD WIMBOOT as FILEDISK from Boot Manager Menu and  let Win10 Install all drivers
- At Home After booting with Win10 x64 OS then CAPTURE WIM of 10 GB VHD - Format and APPLY WIM on 1 or 2 GB VHD 
- Next time Boot with 1-2 GB VHD WIMBOOT on USB with Grub4dos menu from RAMDISK on all other machines
The 1 GB VHD will be handy for booting from RAMDISK on 4GB RAM machines, but in other cases a 2 GB VHD is preferred

In this way you have some learning on a couple of machines, but then the WIM has improved and can be used on all machines .... 
That principle of learning, where the SYSTEM registry is improving, is already working since the days of Windows eXPerience
Go to the full post