No replies to this topic

#1 fuxxi

fuxxi

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

Iam trying to install Windows Vista via WinPE 3.0 from USB-Stick. However I get the following error message when starting the setup.exe from Winpe:

Windows Setup is unable to find a system volume that meets its criteria for installation

My config is:

Booting WinPE from USB Stick, use setlw (http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=24365) to make the usb stick fixxed drive Y. Diskpart the internal hdd and running the vista setup.exe from the thumb drive.

From my investigation it looks like my usb stick is set as the active boot partition/drive and the Vista installer needs/wants to write the boot sector to it, which it cant because the usb stick is a removeable drive and the setup refuse to write on it.

Any idea how I can get it to work?

I boot up the winpe via:

find --set-root --ignore-floppies /images/winpe.iso
map --mem /images/winpe.iso (hd32)
map --hook
chainloader (hd32)
boot

I know there are other, simple ways to install Vista from USB-Stick, but I need and want to install it from within WinPE.

I'd prefer to install it the same way I install Windows 7: Directly via the install.wim. But the original install.wim from the Vista Install Disc was sysprepped on drive D (well done Microsoft!). So deploying only the wim with imagex results in having it installed on drive D (I want drive C) or using drive C it will throw out an error message during sysprep installation phase. And no I cant and dont want to install it on C drive and sysprep it again from there to use that wim. I want and need to use the original install.wim.

edit: Could someone move the topic to Boot from USB / Boot anywhere please?

Edited by fuxxi, 14 February 2013 - 02:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users