#1 doveman

doveman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 408 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:51 AM

I've been having a nightmare with my PC the last few days, with programs crashing and errors flying around on boot and so I tried my alternate boot, which didn't do this but still my games were crashing on loading. I tested all the hardware that I could think off but was starting to think it must be a hardware fault as it was affecting both boots but thankfully restoring the first Windows partition from a 2-week old True Image seems to have fixed it. I did upgrade from Catalyst 12.6 to 13.2beta3 but that was a few days before the problems started and I only did that on the first Windows, so it can't have been causing the crashing games in the 2nd Windows anyway, so that must have it's own issues!

Anyway, whilst I was looking at stuff I noticed that Device Manager shows something quite different in the 2nd Windows to the first for my SATA HDD. It may just be that the AMD SATA driver shows all the drives in a group, whilst the Standard AHCI Driver shows all the channels, even the unused ones, with each drive under it's own channel. I thought I'd get an informed opinion from you guys though. Don't worry about the IDE drives, they're just Daemon Tools or Alcohol 52% virtual drives.

atawindows1.png

atawindows2.png

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 10,873 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:29 AM

Check which drivers are used for the SATA/AHCI controller, seemingly in one operating system you have a "generic" driver :w00t: and on the other one an AMD one.

:cheers:
Wonko

#3 doveman

doveman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 408 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:23 AM

Yeah, I can see that  :whistling: The question was whether it's normal for them to display in these different ways and whether it matters (i.e. should I replace the Generic one with the AMD one)?

#4 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 10,873 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

They are different drivers. (and you knew about that ;))

I find it "not abnormal" :whistling: that they show in device manager different info. 

If both systems work, leave them alone (if ain't broke dont' fix it).

Otherwise benchmark the same disk drive on the two OS's and install on both systems the one driver that gives you better performance (if any difference is actually found).

And yes, everything in the present post is obvious :ph34r:, which leads us to:

Spoiler

Wonko

#5 doveman

doveman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 408 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:23 PM

Fair enough :)

The second install doesn't entirely work, as most games crash on loading. Probably nothing to do with the ATA driver though. Now that I've got a working system I'll probably just restart the second install from a basic True Image rather than try and work out what the problem is.

Mind you the first install isn't entirely working either, as I cold-booted this morning and the CPU was pegged at 800Mhz until I rebooted. I'm not overclocking at the moment and have disabled CnQ in the BIOS, so I'm not sure what that's about. With CnQ disabled, the Windows Power Schemes only have Active or Passive under System Cooling Policy and neither change the CPU speed when I test, so it's probably a (beta) BIOS bug. I'm going to reflash the previous stable BIOS as soon as MSI confirm it's OK to go back from the beta.

#6 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 10,873 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

You do realize how you never mentioned till now that you recently (which would put this in the list of likely causes of the malfunctioning) upgraded (I will add - for your entertainment  ;) - the adverb "senselessly" :whistling:) your BIOS to a new, BETA version (and fiddled extensively with it's settings), dont' you? :dubbio:

Wonko

#7 doveman

doveman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 408 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

Well yes but to be honest I was just ranting about the problems I've been having and they weren't really relevant (neither is upgrading the BIOS) to my query about the different appearance of the ATA channels. ;)

It's my fault for confusing the issue by including all this irrelevant information in my posts though  :fool:

There was actually a good reason for upgrading the BIOS, as the beta has a fix to the resolution used by the UEFI BIOS interface, which has been a problem on my system. As for fiddling extensively with it's settings, that's what settings are for, even if it does lead to some unforseen circumstances :lamo: although there's no reason why disabling CnQ should peg the CPU at 800Mhz, quite the opposite it should be pegged at 3.2Ghz (as it is now after rebooting).

#8 doveman

doveman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 408 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

Now this is interesting and actually relevant to the topic ;)

It's not shown in the previous screenshot but as you can see towards the bottom of this one, my first Windows has both the AMD SATA and Standard AHCI drivers installed, although the latter isn't working.

20130206164656.png

The only thing I can think of that might explain this is it's for the e-SATA controller. I'm pretty sure that's enabled in the BIOS so it should be working but I'll go and check.

Going off-topic again, after playing ArmA2OA for a few hours last night, followed by DCS World, today ArmA2OA has gone back to crashing whilst loading. I haven't changed anything since last night and DCS World and Mediaportal, which also couldn't load until after I restored Windows from my TI backup, are still working fine. I tested in XP and Arma2OA loads fine there, so I'm baffled as to what's going on.

#9 doveman

doveman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 408 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:17 PM

Ah, the e-SATA controller was disabled in the BIOS. All sorted now I've re-enabled it :)