#1 tal.aloni

tal.aloni

• Developer
  • 21 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:03 PM

Hi All,

If you're still a fan of Windows XP or Server 2003, and a fan of installing it to and booting it from USB 2.0 \ USB 3.0 \ AHCI \ LAN or anything that has no inbox-support, you should get familiar with my little utility called IntegrateDrv.

IntegrateDrv can take a Windows installation and integrate drivers to it and set various components to boot start,

so you could then proceed to install Windows to things like a UFD connected to a USB 3.0 port,

The best part: it doesn't require burning a CD, you could use the original microsoft provided Windows installation CD.

The tool is for general purpose use, but for now let's talk about USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 installing and booting:

For installing from and booting to USB 2.0, follow these steps (assuming G is the UFD drive letter):

1. Create an active FAT32 / NTFS partition on the UFD.

2. Create a boot sector on the UFD:

bootsect /nt52 G:

3. Create a Windows installation on the UFD:

winnt32.exe /syspart:g /tempdrive:g /makelocalsource /noreboot

4. Use IntegrateDrv to set the USB components to boot-start and include the Wait4UFD (Initialization driver that will wait for the USB system disk to appear):

IntegrateDrv /usbboot /driver=..\Drivers\Wait4UFD /target=G:\

For installing from and booting to USB 3.0, the last step should include integration of the USB 3.0 Host Controller and Root Hub drivers, if you have an AMD A75\A85X based motherboard, the drivers are included with the IntegrateDrv package:

IntegrateDrv /usbboot /driver=..\Drivers\AMDUSB30\usbxhc /driver=..\Drivers\AMDUSB30\usbhub /driver=..\Drivers\Wait4UFD /target=G:\

Note: If you're using a USB hub then you should also integrate its driver as well.

Good luck,

Tal Aloni

• wimb likes this

#2 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

Can I run IntegrateDrv to install drivers one after the other? e.g.

IntegrateDrv /usbboot /driver=..\Drivers\AMDUSB30\usbxhc /target=G:\

IntegrateDrv /usbboot /driver=..\Drivers\AMDUSB30\usbhub /target=G:\

IntegrateDrv /usbboot /driver=..\Drivers\Wait4UF /target=G:\

So that I can write a script to blow down through each folder and integrate all drivers in all subfolders?

#3 tal.aloni

tal.aloni

• Developer
  • 21 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:48 PM

Steve,

Yes to the first part, however, this is the correct way (you only need to apply the /usbboot switch once):

IntegrateDrv /usbboot /target=G:\
IntegrateDrv /driver=..\Drivers\AMDUSB30\usbxhc /target=G:\
IntegrateDrv /driver=..\Drivers\AMDUSB30\usbhub /target=G:\
IntegrateDrv /driver=..\Drivers\Wait4UF /target=G:\

No to the second part, IntegrateDrv will not integrate all drivers in a folder, if a driver package contains more than one device driver for the given Windows edition, IntegrateDrv will ask which of the device drivers you wish to integrate. (note that there are the /local switch for narrowing down the list based on the local installed hardware, and the /enum switch that does the same using a registry export from an existing Windows system)

Tal

Edited by tal.aloni, 03 February 2013 - 06:02 PM.

#4 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:13 AM

Direct Install of XP in 14 min on NTFS partition of USB 3.0 Harddisk using Wait4UFD driver is working OK :)

After XP Setup I needed only to Install the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Display Driver.

XP Booting from WD USB 3.0 on i5 Intel Ivy Bridge in 40 sec and here is the result:

[attachment=14139:XP_W4U.png]

XP Setup ISO file was prepared as described in Section 2 here

http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=23553

DPsBase.exe was used to Integrate DriverPacks Chipset + Processor + MassStorage + LAN + WLAN

(settings Disc - Method 2 - GuiRunOnce - Enable KTD for the DriverPacks I will Select C+P+M+L)

USB 3.0 WD Portable Harddisk was connected to USB 3.0 port of computer with i5 Quad-Core Ivy Bridge Processor

In XP OS I used WinNTSetup2_x86.exe to prepare USB-drive for Install of XP

and then used (only the given step 4.) IntegrateDrv to Install Wait4UFD driver to Enable Install on USB

http://www.msfn.org/...winntsetup-v23/

========================================================================================

Two attempts of direct install of XP on USB-Sticks failed and the process is too SLOW .......

Reboot after TXT-mode started again TXT-mode instead of GUI mode

since boot.ini for GUI mode was made on local harddisk instead of USB-stick.

Booting with GUI-mode XP Setup from USB-stick resulted in BSOD 7B

$WIN_NT$ folders on USB were NOT yet removed at the end of TXT-mode XP Setup.

Repeated by using Samsung S2 Portable USB 2.0 Harddisk connected to i5 Intel machine and using same procedure.

Direct Install of XP to USB 2.0 NTFS partition and using Wait4UFD driver failed with BSOD 7B

Repeated with Samsung S2 USB 2.0 but connected to USB 2.0 port of slower AMD machine

Direct Install of XP in 28 min on USB 2.0 NTFS partiton and using Wait4UFD driver is working OK,

but there are some remnants present of $WIN_NT$.~BT folder.

It seems to me that timing at the end of TXT-mode Setup can be an issue .....

TXT-mode process is NOT yet finished to remove $WIN_NT$ folders on USB when Reboot for GUI-mode occurs already.

XP Booting from Samsung USB 2.0 on AMD Athlon in 90 sec and here is the result:

[attachment=14140:XP_W4U_SAM2.png]

:cheers:

EDIT: Wait4UFD driver Enables Direct Install of XP on USB drive or in VHD on USB

Advantage of Direct Install of XP is that one does not need to make changes in the booting of the local harddisk,

where changes might be unwanted or difficult as in the case of a hidden Boot Manager partition e.g. Windows 7

#5 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:20 AM

Direct Install of XP in 3 GB VHD located on Samsung USB 2.0 connected to AMD Athlon is working OK.

1. IntegrateDrv was used to integrate Wait4UFD driver in the XP Setup Source directory containing folder i386
2. ImgBurn was used to make new XP Setup ISO file, that was copied to NTFS formatted active partition of USB-harddisk
3. VHD_XP_Create.exe was used to make 3 GB NTFS VHD on USB and to make Grub4dos Menu for WinVBlock driver
NTFS Compr was Unchecked - http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=23553
4. Boot with Grub4dos Menu from USB and Install XP in VHD using Start TXT-mode / Continue GUI-mode / Boot Windows XP VHD

5. After Install of XP then Run USB_XP_Fix.exe and Select your XP-1.vhd file on USB-drive and click GO

After Install of XP then you need to fix XP-1.vhd for booting from USB-drive by using USB_XP_Fix.exe

The fix will prevent BSOD 7B and will help to allow the XP VHD to boot on various hardware and so become Universal.

MassStorage Driver Option will Install about 130 drivers from the required WINDOWS\DriverPacks\M folder integrated via KTD option

Integrating Wait4UFD driver in XP Setup Source ISO by using IntegrateDrv

was NOT yet described or proposed, but this option is quite useful e.g when using XP Setup ISO file as virtual CD.

Until now only IntegrateDrv was described to be used to integrate Wait4UFD driver in the $WIN_NT$ XP setup folders on harddisk.

XP Booting from 3 GB VHD on Samsung Portable USB 2.0 Harddisk connected to AMD Athlon

I :wub:  XP :cheerleader:

[attachment=14141:XP_W4U_VHD2.png]

Loading XP Setup ISO file from USB 2.0 into RAM as virtual cd can be time consuming, in my case 22 min (2x)

In that case you can save a lot of time by having the XP Setup ISO file located on local harddisk

and use Grub4dos menu to find that ISO file and load it into RAM in only 10 sec :1st:

Install of XP in 2 GB NTFS compressed VHD is working OK like

title Continue GUI-mode XP Setup on XP-2.vhd - WinVBlock driver - 2000 MB
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /XP3_1210W.iso
map --mem /XP3_1210W.iso (0xff)
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /XP-2.vhd
map --mem /winvblock.ima (fd1)
map --mem /winvblock.ima (fd0)
map /XP-2.vhd (hd0)
map --hook
root (hd0,0)
chainloader /ntldr

title Start -  TXT-mode XP Setup on XP-2.vhd - WinVBlock driver - 2000 MB
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /XP3_1210W.iso
map --mem /XP3_1210W.iso (0xff)
map --mem /winvblock.ima (fd1)
map --mem /winvblock.ima (fd0)
map /XP-2.vhd (hd0)
map --hook
chainloader (0xff)

title Boot  Windows XP from Image - XP-2.vhd - WinVBlock driver - 2000 MB
map /XP-2.vhd (hd0)
map --hook
root (hd0,0)
chainloader /ntldr

#6 bilou_gateux

bilou_gateux

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 230 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

Moved to a new topic

see below.

Edited by bilou_gateux, 27 February 2013 - 08:23 AM.

#7 tal.aloni

tal.aloni

• Developer
  • 21 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:26 PM

bilou_gateux,

Please contact me by email and we'll try to resolve this.

#8 bilou_gateux

bilou_gateux

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 230 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:25 AM

Moved to a new topic

see below.

Edited by bilou_gateux, 27 February 2013 - 08:25 AM.

#9 bilou_gateux

bilou_gateux

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 230 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:20 AM

I created a new topic in

install-xp-to-a-iscsi-target-disk-and-boot-from-it/

#10 totoblack100

totoblack100

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
    Madagascar

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:39 PM

hi all! To put xp into usb and boot from it I use usboot since 2008 . It work fine with xp sp2 32bit, I never tested on 64bit. Please Visit http://www.usboot.org/tiki-index.php Don't forget to register!

#11 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:54 PM

I use usboot since 2008

Well, you started two years late, then.
http://www.911cd.net...ndpost&p=116116

WHAT is the sense of promoting the (otherwise very good :)) work by ...Tim... AND asking to register for it? :dubbio:

Wonko

#12 totoblack100

totoblack100

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
    Madagascar

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:24 PM

oh! I'm just sharing! I do not promote.You need to register to obtain a challenge code asked by the software when you integrate the driver into xp. I correct, I used usboot in 2008 and once created, I duplicate an image in case I need it

#13 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:44 PM

Don't forget to register!

You need to register to obtain a challenge code asked by the software when you integrate the driver into xp.

Waiter, come taste the soup. :whistling:
http://www.imdb.com/...es?qt=qt1099763

Ah-ha!

: :buehehe: 

Wonko

#14 totoblack100

totoblack100

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
    Madagascar

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:21 PM

I'm just sharing my expérience.it is not the software that matters is the purpose. with usboot I could install a xpsp2 in my usb. It's fast but no pagefile and size in my usb is 1.6 go

#15 genetix

genetix

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 132 posts
  •  
    Finland

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:17 PM

Hello, any good ideas on AsMedia controllers?

using ASM1042 which goes through Intel DMI 2.0 (ASM1083) and seems what ever I do it just doesn't wanna boot up.

Setup:

AsMedia (ASM1083->ASM1042)

USB 3.0 (64GB Flash)

VHD -> Windows XP

Modifications:

before installations: Added AsMedia hub + controller

After Installation: modified registry to all usb(1.1>2.0 + Asmedia hub/controller) to 'start: 0', 'group: Boot Bus Extender'

Added HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase > ClassGUID: {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}

Tested few tools:

WaitBt doesn't seem to work.

UsbWatcher doesn't seem to work.

What happens:

I boot from Intel USB 2.0 controller OS boots clean up as soon it finds the Flash drive.

I boot from Asmedia USB 3.0 controller OS hangs at boot cannot seem to find the drive and BSOD 0x7B

I am thinking this having something to do with this bad controller type for starters as seems AMD USB 3.0 works and Renesas seems to have fix (which I did try to duplicate on this controller, but seems either I cannot get it right or it just doesn't work with this controller).

Anyone tested AsMedia controllers successfully?

#16 tal.aloni

tal.aloni

• Developer
  • 21 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:32 AM

Renesas seems to have fix

I have tested a Gigabyte motherboard where the NEC/Renesas D720200 USB 3.0 ports were not bootable.

Genetix, I'm not sure what "VHD -> Windows XP" means,

I assume that you already tested IntegrateDrv (and by extension Wait4UFD).

#17 genetix

genetix

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 132 posts
  •  
    Finland

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:40 PM

Thanks for response.

by "VHD -> Windows XP" I mean:

1. Created VHD with 'wimb' 'VHD_XP_Create.exe'.

2. Integrated DriverPacks + with IntegrateDrv v1.1.4: AsMedia USB 3.0 hub + controller and Wait4UFD.

3. Mounted this image from G4D at USB and installed XP to VHD at HD.

4. Made few modifications to registry: USB 3.0 HUB+Controller to be ClassGUID USB, Service Start: 0, Group: Boot Bus Extender(loaded first)

5. Moved the VHD to USB 3.0 Flash drive with G4D and used 'USB_XP_Fix.exe'

6. Booting the VHD with G4D from the flash drive.

Testing:

Intel USB 2.0: Boots just fine on above

AsMedia (ASM1083->ASM1042) USB 3.0: Cannot find something at boot and after 1-2 minutes at XP boot screen it BSOD 0x7b

So, I am assuming the issue to be: when XP boot. One of these is correct assumption why it cannot find the USB 3.0:

* AsMedia Driver fails to understand first start up 'Boot Bus Extender' and is not loaded correctly.

* AsMedia ASM1083 at DMI 2.0 -> USB 3.0 HUB -> USB 3.0 Controller: Gives XP an issue and it simply doesn't ask ASM1083 at all for some reason, but instead try's to talk to ASM1042(hub/controller).

I am simply trying to find where is the flaw because, if I cannot understand why USB 3.0 cannot be located at Windows XP start-up with drivers installed and modified identically at any USB 2.0 would be (considering USB 3.0 should work identically and backward compatible to USB 2.0). I cannot start hunting solution as don't know what exactly fails. AsMedia driver, some missing boot order registry or something else.

I have tested a Gigabyte motherboard where the NEC/Renesas D720200 USB 3.0 ports were not bootable.

Yeah, but was this because of Renesas INF settings added to registry and if so with registry editing how Renesas was loaded and to what Class actually still functional ? Or that this controller simply didn't support Legacy USB 3.0 function by BIOS ?

Or are you telling me that this controller will not boot no matter what ?

Edited by genetix, 12 August 2013 - 04:50 PM.

#18 tal.aloni

tal.aloni

• Developer
  • 21 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:35 PM

genetix, I was unable to make the NEC/Renesas D720200 to even detect the devices connected to it during boot (this website claims those controllers are not bootable at all).

Try removing the VHD from the picture as it adds an additional layer of complexity, simply format the UFD to NTFS and install XP directly to it,

and try not to mix different solutions, driver packs, and manual tweaks. (IntegrateDrv does not need any outside help)

Also, make sure you integrate both the USB 3.0 host controller and the USB 3.0 root hub drivers.

if all else fails, you can debug the boot process, but it can be an effort to set up.

#19 genetix

genetix

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 132 posts
  •  
    Finland

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:27 PM

Yeah, I've been reading few specifications and few manuals lately. It seems AsMedia is bootable but doesn't wanna load at before some of other drivers has been loaded and should be by some magical mean be loaded as SCSI hardware ID to even begin the 'troubleshoot'.

* I will be building the clean stick (which is currently for me impossibility as I got 60GB of data on media) just for testing although, I do ot see how VHD layer could complicate the matter any more than as clean install which you propose, but as always I may be wrong about it (simply saying this because USB 2.0 loads and works just fine.

* I will remove any other driver packages from new image and test, if those causes the lag on load for windows to try to locate some driver from them (The 1-2 wait at windows load could be just it).

* Drivers: I need to modify the INFs and disable any signature checks to get them clean as supposed to be for USB install from begin with and not modify registry ever. I think, if I manage to install them as they should be registered for booting might cause cleaner result, if it can be functional. Also I am considering the idea of modifying the USB-Flash as 'USB Floppy Disk Drive' instead of 'USB Hard Disk' and add 'usbstor' ID loaded by txtsetup.sif as SCSI hardware ID because I think this maybe my issue in the first place. the USB Storage/Flash simply isn't located.

and yeh I will have to debug the process to see what these Windows XP OSes actually see while device could not be locate message or BSOD 0x7E/B appears. I know Windows XP can clearly see USB 3.0 I mean, so, obviously issue is somewhere else.

-edit-

Building all that and I think I need to build whole own test environment, will take half a day for sure. So, gonna take me probably few days to get stuff setupped, tested in full and running to see the results and consider solutions for what ever causes the issue.

Edited by genetix, 13 August 2013 - 05:34 PM.

#20 tal.aloni

tal.aloni

• Developer
  • 21 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:01 PM

1. When using VHD you have the additional step of the VHD driver locating the virtual hard drive (and comparing disk signature etc.),

So it's better to make sure the issue is not there (even if it is unlikely).

2. You don't need to modify any .inf or txtsetup.sif, IntegrateDRV is supposed to handle it.

I had no trouble using the original Microsoft Windows XP installation media with AMD USB 3.0 drivers without making any manual changes, as described in the first post.

3. Just curious: Is this an external PCI card or a controller on a motherboard?

#21 genetix

genetix

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 132 posts
  •  
    Finland

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:33 PM

1. Yeah, I follow you and removing the VHD from between installing to clean USB 3.0.

2. I ment that renesas needs modification to registry to be functional. It needs to be loaded from service group 'Boot Bus Extender' for HUB and 'System Bus Extender' or 'SCSI miniport'  for controller and CriticalDevice data identifying HUB/Controller devices as 'USB' GUID. I think AsMedia ""stuff"" needs exact same modifications and that is what I ment that doing those modifications directly to INF before installations could be useful so I would never have to boot to system to make those modifications instead system would already have them after installation. Installation from USB 3.0 will be impossibility anyway without them.

3. This is on-board controller. I have 2 ports at back panel and 2 ports connectable from mid-board by cable (and I even suspect, if I would ignore the back panel ports and add PCIe x4 port as x1 which activates the mid-board ports that the mid-board ports at same hub would actually have different kind of power from board than the back panel ones, if this is the issue not powered ports at boot).

AsMedia USB overview:

* Intel DMI 2.0 driver loaded -> ASM1083 device(This recognizes itself only as 'PCI'-Service and class is SCSI)

* ASM1083 -> ASM1042(HUB) -> ASM1042(Controller) -> USB 3.0(Device)

Now as we can see it's quite hellish setup from AsMedia for that USB 3.0 stick to recognized at boot. Might need a bit more modifications what is loaded before even considering to load the hub or controller and try to make the Intel DMI driver(MS driver) + 'PCI'-service load first. I tested this, but didn't get any different result, but I think it still needs to be loaded that way in the end.

#22 tal.aloni

tal.aloni

• Developer
  • 21 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:22 PM

genetix,

1. it's USB3.0 host controller -> USB 3.0 hub -> USB device

and not the other way around!

2. Are you 100% sure you need the Intel DMI 2.0 driver loaded to see the ASM1083 PCIe to PCI bridge?

3. "Renesas needs modification to registry to be functional", where do you get this?

4. IntegrateDrv will set all given drivers to start during boot, so the only change in the .inf file that will have any meaningful effect is to change the "LoadOrderGroup", but I can hardly recall a case where it was necessary.

p.s. The AMD USB 3.0 host controller and hub both have the "LoadOrderGroup" set to "Base".

#23 tal.aloni

tal.aloni

• Developer
  • 21 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:30 PM

Another tip:

You can use IntegrateDrv to install XP to a USB stick connected to the USB 2.0 port,

and then install and manually configure the USB 3.0 components, and then connect it to the USB 3.0 port and boot from it.

(if you get a BSOD, you can always reconnect to the USB 2.0 port and review the registry values)

#24 genetix

genetix

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 132 posts
  •  
    Finland

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:19 PM

I did that earlier and couldn't get the USB 3.0 to boot up no matter what I changed the registry at.

Now, I have clean USB 3.0 64GB and XP installed to it used IntegrateDrv to add USB 3.0 Generic Hub, Hub + controller and Wait4UFD. I am getting BSOD on it when booting from it. Works just fine at USB 2.0.

I am still testing it because of other detected devices which I am currently booting as IDE. Have to see if I can get this to boot OS, but preliminary testing seems negative. I could say clean off that there is no way in hell this thing will boot with out some serious USB 3.0 registry tweaks or well even modified driver, USB-IF test controller maybe or situation still might be that XP simply cannot see the ASM1083 under Intel DMI 2.0 for some reason. Anyway, too early to say anything conclusive.

#25 tal.aloni

tal.aloni

• Developer
  • 21 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:10 PM

genetix,

When you boot from the UFD when it's connected to the USB 2.0 port, you should try to connect a device to the USB 3.0 port and test that it works properly (to make sure all the drivers in the USB 3.0 chain are loaded).

My experience with those things is that eventually you figure out what's missing / necessary for a successful boot, although it can take time and effort.

If you have two computers that are connectable using FireWire / RS-232, then debugging might shed some light (as to which device is the problematic one).

Good luck!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: usb, boot, windows xp, windows server 2003, usb 3.0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users