Photo
- - - - -

32bit Applications on 64bit PE session (WinPE 4)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 trekkeriii

trekkeriii
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

Looking to run PHP and Chrome 32bit applications/services on Windows PE 64bit boot.wim. I know basically that PE 64bit is not designed to run 32bit applications natively, but I need to in order for us to get a working unattended Windows installation along side an Imaging system going on 64bit Windows PE (we want both, Unattend to build the images, then unattend to deploy them). We got the interface made for the process. Just need these two critical pieces.

Edited by trekkeriii, 28 January 2013 - 01:37 PM.

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

Just need these two critical pieces.

Most probably you want just one, the WHOLE 32 bit sub-system. (WOW64)

There are PE 3.x projects that do include WOW64 (win7PE_SE as an example), I don't think there are (yet) good, tested projects to build a PE 4.x, exception made for the multiPE (which from what I get is still heavily experimental), but I have no idea if it includes WOW64, here:

http://reboot.pro/topic/15540-multipe/

http://reboot.pro/fi...ile/61-multipe/

:cheers:

Wonko

#3 trekkeriii

trekkeriii
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

Most probably you want just one, the WHOLE 32 bit sub-system. (WOW64)

There are PE 3.x projects that do include WOW64 (win7PE_SE as an example), I don't think there are (yet) good, tested projects to build a PE 4.x, exception made for the multiPE (which from what I get is still heavily experimental), but I have no idea if it includes WOW64, here:

http://reboot.pro/topic/15540-multipe/

http://reboot.pro/fi...ile/61-multipe/

Wonko

How hard would it be to adjust Winbuilder to just use an already mounted WinPE 3.1 folder (via ImageX or DISM), and just running the WOW64 script in the Win7PE (using an install.wim from a Win7 install as a source). I don't need explorer and such (in fact for security reasons, we don't want it). I basically want to use the already made PE boot.wim we already have setup. I just want to replicate the 

Just FYI, we are using WDS over PXE to boot the .wim files, so these wim files need to be network boot friendly. The important pieces to get working is the PHP service and Google Chrome within a 64bit PE session. I found a 64bit compiled PHP, but I know Google hasn't released a Windows 64 bit version of Chrome, yet.

Edited by trekkeriii, 29 January 2013 - 03:51 PM.

#4 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

Well, the 64 bit versions of "original" Microsoft WinPE (both PE3.x aka Windows 7 based and PE4.x aka Windows 8 based) do not include WOW64 (and as such cannot execute 32 bit code)
Building a PE 3.x through Winbuilder with WOW64 has been accomplished (and possibly there is info *somewere* on how to add the 32 bit subsystem also to a "basic" WinPE 3.x).

How hard can it be:
http://en.wikipedia....rd_can_it_be.3F
is - no offence intended :) - an otiose question in this case :ph34r:.
You do it, and then you will know how hard can it be :whistling: or you wait until some of the good guys manage to do it (and ask them how hard it was ;)).

After further thought,  I just realized how I completely forgot to mention :blush: how the Author of Win7PE_SE ChrisR :worship: has also recently posted about a PE 4.x project, called Win8PE_SE
http://www.msfn.org/...1226-win8pe-se/
httx://w8pese.spam.net/
http://goo.gl/CLtHA

httx://w8pese.spam.net/projectindex.php
http://goo.gl/VH0c7
that has WOW64 working.
If I were you I would rather explore (pardon me the pun) that thingy and see if you can remove from it what you don't need (it should be relatively easy, due to the modularity of Winbuilder based projects), or at least try a build/analyze the .script and find what settings/files/whatever you need to add to a MS WinPE to have that subsystem working:
httx://w8pese.spam.net/Projects/Win8PESE/Build/5-Wow64.script
http://goo.gl/zOGeh

Wonko

P.S.: A short message to the *unknown* Admin that set the board so that original links provoked this message to appear:

You have entered a link to a website that the administrator does not allow links to

Are you serious, really? :w00t: :dubbio:

I have one word, just one word emoticon for you:

harhar.gif

#5 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

P.S.: A short message to the *unknown* Admin that set the board so that original links provoked this message to appear:

I'm not allowing links to a place where verbal violence is the norm. If you want to promote them, your choice.

#6 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

I'm not allowing links to a place where verbal violence is the norm. If you want to promote them, your choice.

Well, I am failing to see how a project can assault anyone, verbally or otherwise. :dubbio:

The fact that it's Author and/or any of the co-Authors/contributors may have different opinions from yours AND anyone involved ("them" or "you") completely fail to discuss them in a civil manner (and possibly solve the contrasts eventually) does not affect the project or it's qualities/capabilities/usefulness.

Should we judge products relying  - instead of the features of the product itself - on the character of their inventor or manufacturer we would be pretty much stuck to the Stone Age.

As well if you would judge literature or philosophy by the attitude/personality of the Authors, we would have rather empty bookshelves.

Wonko

#7 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:53 AM

Well, I am failing to see how a project can assault anyone, verbally or otherwise

Well, I'm not going to bother looking up the files with comments that actually do assault several people around here (myself included) on the links you just mentioned. This was already mentioned a few times before, if you fail to see this fact then there is little to be done.

Should we judge products relying - instead of the features of the product itself - on the character of their inventor or manufacturer we would be pretty much stuck to the Stone Age.

Actually, you get quite upset when someone starts targeting you personally. This happened in the past with Sambul. The features of his work are remarkable, the character of the inventor is something that has personally affected other members around this community, you included.

So you see, try to picture yourself as the target on this situation. Tell me that one should just look on the technical features of the product and completely ignore the fact that this build upon hate and verbal offenses that bring nothing of good to anyone. I can't.

#8 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:08 AM

Well, I'm not going to bother looking up the files with comments that actually do assault several people around here (myself included) on the links you just mentioned. This was already mentioned a few times before, if you fail to see this fact then there is little to be done.

Actually, you get quite upset when someone starts targeting you personally. This happened in the past with Sambul. The features of his work are remarkable, the character of the inventor is something that has personally affected other members around this community, you included.

So you see, try to picture yourself as the target on this situation. Tell me that one should just look on the technical features of the product and completely ignore the fact that this build upon hate and verbal offenses that bring nothing of good to anyone. I can't.

As a matter of fact I have also been personally (and senselessly/without reason) attacked by one of the guys over there on their forum (only because i tried - again and vainly - to stop the stupid war).

Sambul61 is an alltogether different case, besides intentionally and repeatedly attacking me personally, over and over (and without consequences), he also attacked the board and it's rules, a number of other members, threatened you of legal actions and all in all, apart from greatly disturbing the exchange of ideas on the board he produced three or four good things (BTW none "original" and without citing the sources from which he copied/pasted at great length).

But these three or four things remain "good" nonetheless:

As a matter of fact he was banned only when he went well overboard and confronted you directly (and as a side effect we now have the "policies" from Amnesty International :w00t:)

But about the senseless war, I am afraid that I bear a great responsibility in it :(, I should have done on day one what the instinct suggested me (banning them right away, no matter the contributions they proveided to the board and Winbuilder and what not)  instead of attempting to make the involved guys reason about the futility of the quarrels.

Wonko

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users