*no edit button*
I installed xp on a reliable (i think) pc an used that to run winnt32, but it did not create a bootsect.dat.
Not sure If I got any switches wrong, or if my xp source iso is not up for the job (I slipstreamed sp3 in there some time ago). Perhaps I should re-rip the source...
For now I'll use the dos&winnt.exe method, since it worked in the past and I need to install xp to a pc before monday.
By the way: the questions this topic was stared with are pretty much awnsered. I know now why the old asus mobo was behaving 'odd' and I have learnd quite a lot about booting and the chs lba addressing scheme differences.
I'd like to keep asking small questions in here, is it's ok. And I'll post the results on the 'moved partition' test as soon as I get (in my view) reliable results. I'll mark this treat solved, as the most important questions are answered.
*edit:fixed a sentence*
BTW The method I used with winnt32 was winnt32.exe /cmp:"testcommand" /makelocalsource /noreboot /syspart:<UFDletter>: /tempdrive:<UFDletter>:
I got this method working the first time I tried it, but forgot to add a command to the winnt.sif to rename the files and folders on the UFD before the setup deletes them, so far I could not reproduce.
I'm not sure what I did different. Possibly I forgot the /noreboot the first time. I could try that...
But it has to wait untill the XP system I'm installing is working propperly.
Edited by Fiction, 02 March 2013 - 09:23 PM.