• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:17 PM

Hi,

I did hijack another related topic here:

http://reboot.pro/to...rk-fs/?p=164733

but think I should have started my own.  Hopefully someone can help.

I've been using ImDisk in Windows 7 for ages to create a RamDisk, format it and copy stuff to it.  I've automated things using scripts, so don't use the GUI.

I've copied my W7 scripts across to my new W8 build - the exact same PC - and I'm having problems.

If I use the command prompt (run as admin) and manually type:

ImDisk -a -s 12G -m H: -p "fs:ntfs /q /y"

It successfully creates and formats my new drive.  If however I simply run the .bat file that contains this it will create the drive, but fail to format - I then get the Windows Format dialogue appear.  My user account is an Admin account needless to say.

If I run my batch file "as administrator" NOTHING at all happen, not even the drive is created.

I thought at first this was a simple UAC issue, but that is all switched off.

So, my scripts that work fine in W7, fail in W8 when attempting the Format.  They do however work if typed directly into a Command Propmt that's run as Administrator.

I'm a little confused, some guidance would be appreciated.  I suspect I've just forgotten something or fallen foul of a change in W8.  I set up ImDisk and my original .bat file quite some time ago, and have just copied one to use as a base each time I create a new one.

I'm using version 1.6.0 now, but I had the same issue in the prior version, said prior version I was using in W7.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Scoob.

#2 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1,672 posts
  • Interests:Booting
  •  
    Canada

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:01 PM

Perhaps you'd care to share the line in the batch file, the line above it, and the line beneath it, if any.

#3 Scoob

Scoob
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:53 PM

Perhaps you'd care to share the line in the batch file, the line above it, and the line beneath it, if any.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

If the batch file just contains said line I still get the problem.  So just:

The exact same line works perfectly on the same PC when booted into Windows 7.

Possibly I've missed something in regards to permissions, but I don't think so.  I've taken all the usual steps I took for my W7 build - it wasn't complicated at all.  I can only think that subtle Win 8 differences have caught me out.

I would have suspected that running the .bat "As Administrator" would have worked, but not even the drive is created when I do that.  It's quite puzzling really.

I'm not sure what else I can tell you, my batch files are quite simple.  Normally they just create the drive, robocopy some game files across to it, before launching the game.  During my testing I tried batch files with just the crucial create & format in and it still fails.

Thanks,

Scoob.

#4 Scoob

Scoob
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

Hi again,

I just wanted to update you as I think I've gotten to the bottom of the problem I was having.  I should note right away that it's NOT an ImDisk issue at all, rather it's some obscure Windows 8 "thing".

Having tried and repeatedly failed to get the Format step of:

ImDisk -a -s 12G -m H: -p "fs:ntfs /q /y"ImDisk -a -s 12G -m H: -p "fs:ntfs /q /y"

Working at all, I gave up for a bit over the holidays.  Remember that I'd broken things down so I had a .bat file with JUST the above line in it and it failed the format, though the drive was created.

I logged on to my PC this afternoon, just doing some housekeeping etc.  This PC only goes online when I want it to as it's a gamer first and foremost.  So, I enable the connection to my ADSL router and check for updates.  Windows applies a few, nothing out of the ordinary, and I'm done.  Back offline.

A little while later I decide to get into my ImDisk script testing again, and ... EVERYTHING IS WORKING!  Really, I'm shocked.  The EXACT same scripts that were failing before Christmas now just work!  Ok, I have to select "Run As Administrator" but that's pretty much a given for many things.

So, I'd like to be clear that ImDisk via batch commands is now working perfectly on my Windows 8 build.  I'd been racking my brains trying to figure out why things simply failed and, of all things, a Windows update appears to have fixed it!  I cannot think of any other action, other than updating my nVidia drivers, that I've taken in the past few days.

The script I've just run, and it's created the drive, formatted it, copied (robocopy) my game folder from HDD to the RamDrive, and launched the game - is a direct copy of the one from my W7 build, yet now it works just fine.

I'm happy, but bemused...happy wins :)

Happy New Year everyone! :)

Scoob.

P.S. Go on, give me something else to try - I'll find that obscure issue that no one else experiences! ;)

• Nuno Brito likes this

#5 v77

v77

Frequent Member

• Team Reboot
  • 183 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

Of course it doesn't work. "fs:ntfs" is not a parameter of the format command. "/fs:ntfs" is.

1 missing character is enough...

In all cases, admin rights are still required for the format processing.

#6 Scoob

Scoob
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

Hi v77,

Actually, my script had the line right, I just typed it wrong when posting here.  Doh!  I use one PC for surfing, but my scripts were on my gaming PC, so I didn't simply copy / paste into my post - I should have been more careful.

Also, I did something weird in my prior post and got the line twice.

Anyway, as I mentioned, it's all working fine now, with the exact same scripts.  I did take the opportunity to re-write them though since, and all new stuff has worked without issue too.  I can't quite figure exactly what happened for things to start working.  My typo in the post here aside, that key line remains unchanged in ALL my scripts.

One thing I did consider though, was when I copied my original scripts from my W7 build something went screwy with the ownership rights somehow, so I couldn't run things directly.  However, I did create NEW scripts and simply copy / paste the contents to the new file.  The new file of course would ahve been created with my W8 account.

Likely I just did some daft thing I didn't realise lol.

Scoob.

Edited by Scoob, 04 January 2013 - 01:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users