#76 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 15195 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:30 PM

Well, personally (and don't take this personal opinion as anything more than what it is) hibernation on Windows NT based systems should be avoided.

Please note how the last character in the above is a dot or full stop or period.

There are (again IMHO and in my experience) 3 (three) VERY "buggy" subsystems on NT based OS's, which are (in approximate order of increasing relevance/seriousness of issues caused):

1. Indexing services
  2. Volume Shadow Services
  3. Hibernation/Standby/Resume

and using them/having them fully working is commonly a nightmare. :ph34r:

About troubleshooting your current issue with Hubernation/Standby/Resume, this may be useful:

http://www.msfn.org/...yresume-issues/

(VERY LOOOONG thread)

:cheers:

Wonko

#77 sir_bootalot

sir_bootalot

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
    Finland

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:40 PM

Now I made another fresh install of Windows 7 from DVD (my USB-installers stopped working, why? Both Win7 or Win8 installers on USB made with Yumi now don't work. They nag from missing DVD drivers. Loading those installer .iso from USB stick returns to Yumi menu if I don't press enter 'to load from DVD' - syslin doesn't boot them, and if I do press enter, comes the nag about missing drivers after awhile. Something to do with Grub4dos? Fix?).

So I installed Win7 on the second logical partition L2, 'System' being the small P1, and BOOTMGR/BCD there. Hibernation worked.

Now I moved the BOOTMGR/BCD from P1 to L2, and booted L2 with Grub4dos. (I specialized BCD from DVD prompt before booting, using E: that I'm sure was right because I had made a label for that drive).Win7 booted fine, but hibernation now didn't even shut down the computer, but just logged the user off to login screen.

Checked if 'BCDEdit' and 'BCDEdit /store C:\Boot\BCD' would display similar output. No. Plain 'BCDEdit' resulted: Can't find BCD.

The other command worked as expected.

Whatta heck? Explain what was wrong there..?

I tried to define partitions explicitly with BCDEdit as HarddiskVolume5 (3 primary partitions, and this System/Boot partition was the second logical).

Results were similar as before doing that last manouver.

Conclusion: My attempt to put Win7 to logical partition as combined System/Boot with this last method was even further from success than the cloning with fsarchiver.

WAIT... My guess is now the 'Hidden sectors' might have gone wrong again with a fresh install. It was corrected in that specific L2 partition because I had restored a clone to it, but did the fresh install to logical change it?

2 minutes, I'll check that hexdumping with dd.... I'll be back...

Yep, it was made 'incorrect' again by the instal. Gotta fix it and lets see..

FIXED, but nothing changed (bcdedit outputs differ like above, and attempt to hibernate just logs off the user)

Sigh...

Edited by sir_bootalot, 04 March 2013 - 10:15 PM.

#78 sir_bootalot

sir_bootalot

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
    Finland

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:36 PM

(my USB-installers stopped working, why? Both Win7 or Win8 installers on USB made with Yumi now don't work. They nag from missing DVD drivers. Loading those installer .iso from USB stick returns to Yumi menu if I don't press enter 'to load from DVD' - syslin doesn't boot them, and if I do press enter, comes the nag about missing drivers after awhile. Something to do with Grub4dos? Fix?)

Sorry 'bout sidelining with this, but the solution was having the drivers installed in Windows before making the bootable Windows install USB stick with Yumi. I made new versions of installer sticks while in a testing phase with Windowses, and no drivers installed. Yumi needs (for Windows installers only) either chipset and/or SATA/IRST drivers for motherboard to make a correct installer USB, otherwise installer goes to ask 'press a key to boot from CD/DVD' phase, and it doesn't work from there (complains about missing CD/DVD device drivers). By googling it seems people have had quite a bit of also different problems with Yumi trying to make those Win installer USB's. (Another thing with Yumi, also not related to the thread's subject, sorry, is that making a stick with both Win7 and Win8 installers at the same stick doesn't work. Multi-Win installer should prolly be done by partitioning two partitions to a stick with diskpart, and then copying another instance of working isntaller from another USB - made with Yumi or other ways - and editing grub's config files to select which one to boot.)

Edited by sir_bootalot, 07 March 2013 - 02:36 PM.

#79 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 15195 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:56 PM

Sorry 'bout sidelining with this, but the solution was having the drivers installed in Windows before making the bootable Windows install USB stick with Yumi. I made new versions of installer sticks while in a testing phase with Windowses, and no drivers installed. Yumi needs (for Windows installers only) either chipset and/or SATA/IRST drivers for motherboard to make a correct installer USB, otherwise installer goes to ask 'press a key to boot from CD/DVD' phase, and it doesn't work from there (complains about missing CD/DVD device drivers). By googling it seems people have had quite a bit of also different problems with Yumi trying to make those Win installer USB's. (Another thing with Yumi, also not related to the thread's subject, sorry, is that making a stick with both Win7 and Win8 installers at the same stick doesn't work. Multi-Win installer should prolly be done by partitioning two partitions to a stick with diskpart, and then copying another instance of working isntaller from another USB - made with Yumi or other ways - and editing grub's config files to select which one to boot.)

Well, this is expected (and has been solved for "dedicated" tools/setups) see:

http://reboot.pro/to...required-cddvd/

If you prefer, you are using a "generic" tool (Yumi) to make a "very specific" thing, whilst there are more "specialized" tools that were developed taking into account the issues you are now facing.

:cheers:

Wonko

#80 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1450 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:59 PM

I can't make a full shutdown from Windows 8 that is on logical partition!
Run
shutdown.exe /s

What about disabling hibernate?
powercfg.exe -hibernate off

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users