#1 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1444 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:58 PM

Has anyone tried and more importantly, succeeded building Qemu or any other virtualization software on Oracle Solaris 10 ?

Here is the long version of the post:

Now-a-days I need to work on a Solaris 10 system on SPARC processor. Due to organizational security policy, the system is connected to company Intranet, but not with Internet. Also there is no local repository hosted. Therefore I had to manually" download-compile-install sources of each and every package I need. By today I have did this successfully with over around fifty packages along with resolving all their dependencies. When I first touched the system, it was almost "bare" in the sense even it did not have a gcc installed. You can read my adventure of installing latest gcc (4.7.2) from here.

Now I have got stuck while trying to install a virtual machine (precisely, a desktop virtualization solution, not something like M$ Hyper-V, VMware v-Sphere, Oracle VM)  onto it. Oracle Virtual Box doesn't come with a SPARC version, VMware Player for Solaris is not there. I tried to install both Bochs and Qemu, but failed. Qemu configure step failed with the following error:

While trying to build Qemu on Oracle Solaris 10 (SPARC processor), I encountered the following error in the configure step:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/ --install=/usr/ucb/install
./configure: bad substitution
./configure: !: not found
./configure: curl-config: not found
glib-2.12 required to compile QEMU

While googling, the solution to this what I found are: https://bugs.launchp...emu/ bug/636315 and http://lists.gnu.org...9/msg00845.html. I couldn't make the solutions work, but I think I can give a second try.

Any suggestions?

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:24 PM

Still around the same issues :(.

http://homepage.ntlw...no-answers.html

:cheers:

Wonko

#3 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1444 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:37 PM

Still around the same issues :(.

http://homepage.ntlw...no-answers.html

Wonko

Has anyone tried and more importantly, succeeded building Qemu or any other virtualization software on Oracle Solaris 10 ?

Let someone, having the highlighted criteria fulfilled, reply back. Otherwise, the second part of the question, which will follow then, is meaning less is pointless at this point.  :hammer:

For the Italian(s) who are too eager to know the actual question in advance, here it is. And, never point any link to this or this:chair:

#4 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:43 PM

Besides the wrong form of the question, unless you really want to know if someone succeeded in doing that of course, for which you may well start a poll, I am intrigued by the second part:

or any other virtualization software 

Knowing that there is a software called Oracle Virtualbox which is - strangely enough - said to run on Oracle Solaris OS:

https://www.virtualbox.org/

VirtualBox is a powerful x86 and AMD64/Intel64 virtualization product for enterprise as well as home use. Not only is VirtualBox an extremely feature rich, high performance product for enterprise customers, it is also the only professional solution that is freely available as Open Source Software under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL) version 2. See "About VirtualBox" for an introduction.

Presently, VirtualBox runs on Windows, Linux, Macintosh, and Solaris hosts and supports a large number of guest operating systems including but not limited to Windows (NT 4.0, 2000, XP, Server 2003, Vista, Windows 7), DOS/Windows 3.x, Linux (2.4 and 2.6), Solaris and OpenSolaris, OS/2, and OpenBSD.

VirtualBox is being actively developed with frequent releases and has an ever growing list of features, supported guest operating systems and platforms it runs on. VirtualBox is a community effort backed by a dedicated company: everyone is encouraged to contribute while Oracle ensures the product always meets professional quality criteria.

I would presume that someone actually managed to compile it on Solaris. :dubbio:

So the answer to your question is:

Yes. :)

and everything is fine and dandy.

Wonko

#5 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1444 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:14 PM

and everything is fine and dandy.

Is it really?

https://www.virtualb.../wiki/Downloads

VirtualBox platform packages. The binaries are released under the terms of the GPL version 2.

http://qemu.11.n7.na...0-td176248.html

Hi,

While trying to build Qemu on Oracle Solaris 10 (SPARC processor), I encountered the following error in the configure step:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/ --install=/usr/ucb/install
./configure: bad substitution
glib-2.12 required to compile QEMU

Any suggestions, please?

FYI,

https://forums.oracl...471438&tstart=0

#6 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  • Interests:Booting
  •  
    Canada

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:42 PM

Two ideas:

Since Oracle doesn't seem to have a binary download for VirtualBox on your SPARC, maybe you can compile its source code, instead?

For your ./configure to fail so quickly kind of makes me suspect that some major bits of a typical GCC development tool-chain might be missing. Have you installed any development components/packages/software?

#7 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:48 PM

Please point me where in your ORIGINAL post, which I am quoting just in case:

you mentioned the SPARC processor. :whistling:

Learning to ask questions won't let you have always the right answers or an answer at all but at least it will avoid unuseful answers, even if provided in good faith because your question missed important details.

Normally people does not have ESP powers and will reply to the questions you actually make, not to the ones in your mind.

Asking questions "vaguely" makes other people - willing to actually try and help you - waste some of their time, asking question smartly is a way to respect other people and the time that they spend in trying to help you.

You are not anymore a newbie, you should have learned this by now :dubbio:.

In any case this thingy here:
http://www.oracle.co...ceSiteId=ocomen
seems to be a virtual machine, and since it is available as binary, it should mean that someone has actually managed to compile it's source code, thus answering your question - notwithstanding the original omission - with the same "Yes".
And everything is still fine and dandy.

Wonko

#8 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1444 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:59 AM

You are not anymore a newbie, you should have learned this by now :dubbio:.

Getting a fever-cough-cold triple attack and taking loads of pills is not something which one can really enjoy. I tried to save some effort and bearded uncle jumps in. :loleverybody: Original post updated.

#9 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1444 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:03 AM

Since Oracle doesn't seem to have a binary download for VirtualBox on your SPARC, maybe you can compile its source code, instead?

Solaris 10, IMHO, is a crazy system. The fact that the vendor itself didn't try or succeed in compiling it for SPARC platform deterred me to take up this project.

For your ./configure to fail so quickly kind of makes me suspect that some major bits of a typical GCC development tool-chain might be missing. Have you installed any development components/packages/software?

Nah, I don't think it's related to something related to gcc. It's the configure script which fails due to parsing error. What I understand from the links referred to in my original updated post that Solaris 10 sh is non-standard at some point and the shell is hard-coded in the script. So, you can't easily make it use bash instead of sh.

#10 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1444 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:24 PM

Filed a bug report

#11 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  • Interests:Booting
  •  
    Canada

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:59 PM

Nah, I don't think it's related to something related to gcc.
But I said "a typical GCC development tool-chain." That is rather more than just GCC.

It's the configure script which fails due to parsing error. What I understand from the links referred to in my original updated post that Solaris 10 sh is non-standard at some point and the shell is hard-coded in the script. So, you can't easily make it use bash instead of sh.
What is the very first line of the configure script?

#12 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1444 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:10 PM

But I said "a typical GCC development tool-chain." That is rather more than just GCC.

What is the very first line of the configure script?

It has been resolved.

The next problem I am facing is to build glib-2.12 on Solaris 10.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users