Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:35 PM

@Nuno

the board update has changed AGAIN bbcodes and/or parser (or whatever), and features like image embedding, spoilers, numbered lists are not working anymore or not properly.

I perfectly know how this post of mine will be ignored, like all the previous ones about the opportunity of not updating the board "live", but only after having thoroughly tested the new release, and make d@mn sure that an update is actually needed at all.

Consequently the only scope of this post is to make sure that  you won't get away with "I didn't noticed" or "noone told me anything about that".

:frusty:

:cheers:

Wonko

• florin91 likes this

#2 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:47 PM

he board update has changed AGAIN bbcodes and/or parser (or whatever), and features like image embedding, spoilers, numbered lists are not working anymore or not properly.

Well.. please allow me a short justification before ignoring this post: I don't have the conditions to test each forum upgrade before applying on the live board. At most I do a complete backup to rollback in case some catastrophe happens. Sorry.

On my side, the features you mention are working. Here is a completely unrelated cute panda that I used to exemplify the image embedding:
Posted Image

The quote issue seems to be related to the theme. Didn't found a solution to this problem yet.

Might help if you please clean the cache of your browser and try again or provide me a more accurate description to how I can replicate the issues you report. Sometimes it is a cache refresh that solves these things after an upgrade. Thanks (and sorry again for this trouble).

#3 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:16 PM

Maybe a stupid idea but, how about creating a post / thread with all the usual suspects, that have made trouble in the past.
Seems to be always or at least mostly to be the same problems over and over again.
Wouldn't that be a quick way to test for at least the worst issues?

#4 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:29 PM

During my previous life as professional developer working at many sites, I learned one thing:

When the environment changes to an "uncomfortabe" or "unusable" environment:
Usually there is some administration, having problems with the same issue.
And to tell the administration about this issue, is usually wasted time, because administration already knows the issue (and hopefully is working on it)

So, be patient with new board "features".
Just mention the issue w/o comments.

Peter

#5 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:41 PM

There is no need to provide examples anyone just §@ç#ing attempting to formatting properly a post can and will notice them, and no, the cache of the browser has nothing to do with it.

But no problem whatsoever, I'll simply start doing like everyone else does, like not quoting properly other people, not making lists or using codeboxes where appropriate, etc.

As said, the intention was exclusively to let you know about the issue.

Wonko

#6 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:47 PM

When you reply to a topic, previous posts are NOT in inverted order :w00t: (as it normally happens on all boards and happened on this one till lately).

Wonko

#7 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:05 PM

Yep, noticed that too.
Also after posting from quick post, i do not end up at my new post, but at the top of the page.

Don't mind either. But the behavior does have changed.

#8 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:23 AM

Yep, noticed that too.
Also after posting from quick post, i do not end up at my new post, but at the top of the page.

Don't mind either. But the behavior does have changed.

Yes, try replying to this thread (example):
http://reboot.pro/to...grub4dos/page-3
"full" reply and preview, try to quote and answer to the last three posts and you would understand WHY EXACTLY on all boards the "previous topics" are inverted when replying...
BTW, the board - besides the "friendly names" - now resolves (as you can see in the above to yet another "convention") the "page-" which is one of the most flawed ones, as, when - on the next update - the number of posts per page will be changed, all links with "page-" in it will become incorrect)

If you go to "advanced search" (stupid icon representing a gear) and search for all posts made by member "fuwi" (with the default "As a topic list"), you will find out how results are NOT correct (they seem frozen to something like three weeks ago), i.e. you won't find the same results that you can find going to his page:
http://reboot.pro/user/210-fuwi/
and looking for "posts I made" or on the Advanced search if you select "As posts".

The changes in bbcode/*parser/etc. makes (VALID TILL NOW) links containing brackets invalid.
Example:
http://reboot.pro/in...showtopic=11212
the link in first post was originally posted "properly" (since the previous board software INcorrectly parsed links containing brackets) by using the "link" tool (icon representing a chain link) and now it is m00t.
There is NO WAY to retrieve the link, as the actually NOT intuitive trick of:

• Replying to the post
  • Click on the BBmode tool (incomprehensible icon top left)

will get this: 

[url=http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee...7(v=VS.85]http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee...7(v=VS.85[/url]).aspx

I.e. not only the displayed text has been corrupted, but ALSO the actual address (unlike the OLD board link corruption that messed with the link and the display name but left the actual address recoverable).

ONLY the author of the post (or a MOD/ADMIN) by directly opening the post in EDIT mode can retrieve the correct link (posted using the "chain" link tool):

http://msdn.microsof...7(v=VS.85).aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee210757(v=VS.85).aspx

The board software CONTINUES to parse incorrectly links containing brackets, but at least this way you seemingly can extract and re-assemble the bits and pieces:

http://msdn.microsof...ibrary/ee210757(v=VS.85).aspx

For UNKNOWN reasons the link in this post:

http://reboot.pro/to...nwalk/?p=163212

which was posted as a "clickable" link (not with the "chain" link tool but by the "standard" parsing of the board) has become NON-clickable!

Re-posting it:
 http://www.forensics...ecovery#Carving

it works (though only in the preview and not in the stupid WYSIWYG actual edit window)

Wonko

• Brito likes this

#9 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:56 PM

When you reply to a topic, previous posts are NOT in inverted order (as it normally happens on all boards and happened on this one till lately).

I hate this new "feature". Really seems to make harder to keep track of what was said.

Some updates ago I noted that in private messages they removed the text from previous replies when we are composing a new message using the full editor. Crappy option, if I want to preview my message before sending it then I either need to open a second window or copy/paste the previous text to remember myself of what I want to quote and reply.

I won't even start with my complaints about the cost of licenses with their addons. Every time the board is upgraded it will almost always force to renew the licenses of a perfectly functional addon to keep the functionality running. That is the reason why we don't have the nice hosting interface or the image gallery anymore, too expensive too keep.

Last but not the least, you are right about the friendly URLs. They got "improved" again and apparently these folks are literally happy with this achievement: http://community.inv...o-improvements/

I don't think they care about us.

#10 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

No free / cheap alternity available?

Peter

#11 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:20 PM

I don't think they care about us.

You see the difference, I am pretty sure they don't.

I use this topic:

http://reboot.pro/to...with-the-board/

http://community.inv...-version-r37167

as an example of how customer support should NOT be made (and when I am not enough angry I re-read it to get "charged" a bit).

What I start to think (and this greatly saddens me :ph34r:.

Interesting enough, what I typed was:

What I start to think (and this greatly saddens me :( ) is that you don't care anymore about us :ph34r:.

And if I preview it, I see it as (see the attached) image, while what gets posted is ANOTHER thing):

What I start to think (and this greatly saddens me :ph34r:.

I presume this is also "Not a bug". :frusty:

Just in case the message wasn't clear, IMHO the priority should be for INTEGRITY of CONTENTS (§@ç# the stupid add-ons), if the add-ons offer additional features over a SOLID base, then good, otherwise §@ç# 'em.

Wonko

Attached Thumbnails

• stupidboardparser.jpg

#12 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:21 PM

A while I was looking at some options:

- vBulletin
- MyBB
- Vanillaforum

I personally see MyBB as a better option, unfortunately the board converter is still on the works for quite some time now (since 2010) to bring support for version 3 of our software here. In either case, the version 2 of MyBB seems to be close for a release so it would be good to wait and see where they are headed. I like the fact that it costs nothing on our side. TLF has been using it with success, wouldn't be surprised if we eventually follow the same road.

vBulletin was considered but at the time I didn't liked the addons available. This seems to be changing with the upcoming version 5 but then I read things like these: https://www.vbulleti...hout-Javascript and can't help but wonder that then we wouldn't even be able to browse page without JS enabled.

Vanillaforums was tried with filename.pro and my impression is that independent installs are very neglected and I worry about the potential security issues that go unfixed. Also, I saw no converter to port our data to this platform.

#13 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:32 PM

Nuno, please refresh your view, I edited my previous post with important info the stupid board software REMOVES contents when posting!

Wonko

#14 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

if the add-ons offer additional features over a SOLID base

Yes, I agree. Most of the addons were deactivated since the past year to this part.

The only ones that survive are the downloads portal and the links directory. These two things help a lot of people everyday, if it was possible to port them over I'd be a happy camper (then only missing to worry about solving the broken links but this is doable with enough time). Maybe a freelancer php developer can be hired to provide this task. Not even sure if a downloads portal exists for MyBB.

Nuno, please refresh your view

Crap.

#15 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:24 PM

Maybe a stupid question, but why do you care do much about the available converters for the different boards?
Given that the available ones for this software, appearantly can't even handle the upgrades from one version to the next.

Can it really get any worst? :dubbio:

#16 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:31 PM

Maybe a stupid question, but why do you care do much about the available converters for the different boards? Given that the available ones for this software, appearantly can't even handle the upgrades from one version to the next.

When switching to a new forum software there might be some interest in keeping the text from the conversations over past years.

The current software handles upgrades surprisingly well, apparently it is only the old users that don't seem to digest ridiculous features new changes too well. 

#17 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:56 PM

When switching to a new forum software there might be some interest in keeping the text from the conversations over past years.

From outside the box it looks, like you and mikorist need to write own converters always anyways.

#18 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:06 PM

From outside the box it looks, like you and mikorist need to write own converters always anyways.

What is needed is to reapply small customizations that get overwritten. For example the logo and minor details. If we are not lucky, some of the plugins will no longer work and need to be upgraded when available. 

When a major version is released as it happened yesterday (3.3.x to 3.4.x) then I need to fix the theme and this is a tiresome task. These are things around the forum software itself but they are not related to converting the content to another format. Takes a while to slowly get things back into place and these new features don't really help much but I can't even change them to work as before.

#19 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:06 PM

Ok, I'm trying out the myBB software once again and customizing a new website to try this out. So far setting up the site and customizing it was a fairly quick process. I'm now playing with their SEO module to see if it can replace our current configuration.

#20 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:56 PM

Discovered one thing, i love, about this new version of the board software.

After years, for the first time, i get clean bbcode, like it used to be, when clicking on "quote", instead of this terrible html mix.

Only with enabled JS was this mess cleaned up in the editor lately.
But then, my browser would constantly do mini lock ups during page loads or eat 100% CPU resources as long as reboot pages were open.
Not to mention the crash of the browsers every couple of days.

Hope this feature makes it into the next board software, whatever it might be.

#21 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:28 PM

This issue with brackets has made at least one victim :w00t:
http://reboot.pro/to...tant-comme-moi/

It is IMNSHO a VERY serious one.

Wonko

• Brito likes this

#22 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:46 PM

Thank you. This is a really annoying defect on the forum software.

I'm unable to fix the forum software defect on my own, but managed to make the rest of the topic visible.

As reference, this is what I did:

- Entered "edit" mode on the topic where the text is hidden

- Selected all text, clicked Ctrl-X to cut it away from the post

- Opened up Notepad, clicked Ctrl-V to paste all text into notepad

- Copied again all text from Notepad

- Pasted the new text on the original topic

- Save changes

- Done

This removes all the crazy formatting that might be messing the topic for any odd reason and places back clean text that will be rendered as intended.

Thanks Wonko for bringing this up for attention. I had read that topic but did not noticed there was more text that was not being rendered. :)

#23 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:14 PM

Thanks Wonko for bringing this up for attention. I had read that topic but did not noticed there was more text that was not being rendered.  :)

NO prob, I tend to assume that people when posting a new thread have something to say and tend to complete th
  • Brito likes this

#24 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:30 PM

Today's quirk.
I just tried to post here:
http://reboot.pro/to...tdisk/?p=164142
this reply

[quote name="MedEvil" post="164141" time="1355329130"]Why?The most simple way to create such a project is, to use an existing one and [b]add[/b] a delete script.[/quote]I see. :thumbsup:Though I cannot believe that Peter specifically took this approach :dubbio::cheers:Wonko

as soon as I hit the "preview" button what I saw was:

[quote name="MedEvil" post="164141" time="1355329130"] Why?The most simple way to create such a project is, to use an existing one and [b]add[/b] a delete script. [/quote] I see.  :dubbio: :cheers: Wonko

Not an issue in this case of trifling matters, but if it was a long post it would have upset me greatly.

Wonko

#25 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

I'm not sure if these are good or bad news, Mikorist warned me that a new upgrade was made available today.

There is a chance that some of these quirks were addressed, there is a chance that they were not addressed and even introduce some new ones.

What do you say? :lol:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users