Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  • Interests:Booting
  •  
    Canada

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:06 PM

Is there a fundamental reason why there are so many double-postings? Maybe this has already been discussed, before?

My guess is that when the posters post, they:
  • See something (maybe a "working..." indicator of some kind)
  • See something else that makes them think their post wasn't posted
  • Click the back button
  • Re-post the post
Since the no-post time limit isn't stopping these double-posts, would it be possible to add some logic that looks at a poster's recently-posted thread title and do, let's suppose, a 90% similarity match?

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:02 AM

Is there a fundamental reason why there are so many double-postings? Maybe this has already been discussed, before?

My guess is that when the posters post, they:

• See something (maybe a "working..." indicator of some kind)
  • See something else that makes them think their post wasn't posted
  • Click the back button
  • Re-post the post
Since the no-post time limit isn't stopping these double-posts, would it be possible to add some logic that looks at a poster's recently-posted thread title and do, let's suppose, a 90% similarity match?

How come you double posted ? :w00t:
Here:
http://reboot.pro/to...ouble-postings/

The issue is clearly related to some issue with the board, it has sometimes lags so marked that less experienced :whistling: people believe that it "froze" and press the button again (and again).

The board software have a setting to disallow two consecutive posts/replies by the same user (no matter in which thread/forum or if the contents of the post is the same) in a given time-frame, as a measure to reduce spamming. Usually this setting is set to 20 or 30 seconds or so (this also prevents casual "double clicks" by mistake). Possibly, due to the relative slowness of reboot.pro currently, this setting should:
  • be set
  • set as a slightly larger interval, 60 seconds or so
:dubbio:

:cheers:
Wonko

#3 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:00 PM

One of the causes can be the size of the MySQL database.

I've ran the optimizing tool and removed some of the databases no longer used. Hopefully should bring up some extra speed.

#4 69jakk

69jakk

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
    Spain

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

It happend to me few days ago whe I posted my first topic...

It occurred the following (firefox):

I hit the post button and then...The circle on the firefox tab started to spin and spin and spin and spin...but no indicator aobut success...so I thought I had an internet problem connection...then I step back and post the same topic again...and when I saw it occurred the same problem again I went to "Content I follow" and I realized that I posted twice the same topic but the first uncomplete...very rare...

I hope my information helps someone...

Greetings!
  • Sha0 likes this

#5 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:50 PM

I hope my information helps someone...

Yep :).
The actually (by me) suggested procedure is the following:
  • IF your browser seems not responding after you clicked on the post button, open a new tab or window on reboot.pro and click "New Content" (top right on home page).
  • IF the topic you just attempted posting is within the first ones, click on it and check if the post is already there (it will be) close the "original" tab or window.

Wonko

#6 69jakk

69jakk

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
    Spain

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:08 PM

Ok Wonko...Thanks...

By the way...Could you help me with this topic:...?

http://reboot.pro/to...-ipxe-firmware/

#7 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  • Interests:Booting
  •  
    Canada

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:35 PM

How come you double posted ? :w00t:
Here:

Sorry about that. I was experimenting with trying to figure out how one might come across the situation, and managed to reproduce it. I had two Firefox tabs open and pasted the same topic and post into both, then tried to click the button to post both as quickly as I could. Oops.

One of the causes can be the size of the MySQL database.

I've ran the optimizing tool and removed some of the databases no longer used. Hopefully should bring up some extra speed.

Cool; thanks! Unfortunately, perhaps this has introduced regressions? I just posted about "Uh Oh... Can't Seem to Post" and I can't seem to insert a smiley by clicking the smileys UI widget and then clicking a particular smiley. If this is a regression, I apologize if this topic prompted it! *angry*chair*smacking*knocked-out*smiley*that*I*can't*click*

---EDIT--- Uh... This MultiQuote response didn't seem to work out, either. (See above.) Re-typed as new response without using Quote or MultiQuote. D'oh!

It happend to me few days ago whe I posted my first topic...

Thanks for sharing your exact experience!

---EDIT--- I was unable to post for the majority of the day, so this post was scrambled, until now.

#8 69jakk

69jakk

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
    Spain

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:17 PM

<p>

</p>
<p>

<p> </p>
</p>

Too many phrases  you mean?

#9 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:48 PM

Ok, speed was improved substantially after the software upgrade.

The problem now is the skin that also needs to be updated accordingly. Will take care of this.

#10 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:22 AM

WOW, we have now such a senseless thing as threads opening on "best answer", example:

http://reboot.pro/to...-ipxe-firmware/

That is a good step towards making the board less readable, by making more annoying to read contents because you have to scroll a bit before reading the actual thread.

Wonko

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users