4 replies to this topic

#1 TheFog

TheFog

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:50 PM

After having built my PE ISO and tested it I want to change the name of a desktop shortcut for a script I installed.

My questions are:

1 - Can I alter the names of a desktop shortcut please?

2 - If answer to Q.1 is yes then once I have extracted all files from my PE ISO where would the desktop shortcuts be stored and how would I proceed to alter a desktop shortcut name please?

---

I also want to make this script / program an autostart program.

Can I alter this after the PE build please, and if so, how can I do it?

---

Thanks in advance if anyone can elaborate

#2 TheFog

TheFog

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:57 PM

Sorry for double post but I received an error page saying that I didn't have permission to make a post within a certain time frame and attempted to make my post again with a different title and both had in fact indeed been posted.

#3 TheFog

TheFog

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:26 AM

No worries. I took the program and I made my own script (first one, and great fun and satisfying). Works better than the script I downloaded from the script section too. Woohoo :)

#4 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:14 PM

Good to hear you are having FUN scripting (or modifying others)...

You didn't say which project you were using, and there are different ways of doing things like this. A "shortcut" on the desktop is just a file, so it could be created ahead of time. Other projects write information into a text file that is processed when the PE is booted. A lot of that all depends on the project. So trying to patch it after the pe was created can be difficult, since it may not exist as an actual shortcut yet!

So, when talking about things, it is always best to mention the project.

BUT, as you found out, there are standard functions and Common API definitions that can be used in scripting, and there you have a lot of freedom to set things up the way you want! Then the main project scripts take care of how it is turned into an actual "shortcut"...

Again, WELCOME - and above all, HAVE FUN!!!

Scott

#5 TheFog

TheFog

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:04 PM

Thank you sbaeder for your very warm welcome. I sometimes feel that I am drowning in a pool of knowledge browsing the forums; and very humble among the experts here, but I am one of those people that tries to figure things out for myself and not to cry out to be spoon-fed the information and advice I need from this wonderful forum and website

Im a repair technician and want to make my own boot USB with LiveXP 2012 as part of my toolbox.

I did discover after making this thread that a script can be in inspected in notepad++ and gained an idea of how the shortcuts are created in the build. I considered altering the script that I downloaded from this forum but as I played with the program in the final build I had a sneaking suspicion that the program script was badly thought out and created.

So...HAVING FUN I read as much as I could about making a script. I already had the original files for the program in question and had a shot at making a simple script with preferred shortcuts.

To my surprise it worked like a charm and perfectly in my PE. And it was much better than the original script provided here.

In fact I had so much fun Ive been thinking all day about what other scripts I can make up. Who knows maybe I will upload them here for others to enjoy :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users