Barebone Win7PE

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#26 Guest_Boot_Monkey_*

Guest_Boot_Monkey_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:52 AM

Also so I can incorporate a secure hard drive erase program

Good luck with that. No one seems to know how to get WinPE to sleep. This is needed if the drive is frozen and you don't wish to open up the laptop and physically remove the drive.

#27 FesterJester

FesterJester

• Advanced user
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Many! Making computers do things they don't or aren't supposed to do is one of the top.
  •  
    United States

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:30 AM

@Boot_Monkey: I am not sure I follow you. Why would you want WinPE to sleep?

#28 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14135 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:45 AM

@Boot_Monkey: I am not sure I follow you. Why would you want WinPE to sleep?

Read this thread and you will see what he means:
http://reboot.pro/to...e-from-windows/

Of course this only applies to the "low level" ATA commands, you can wipe (much more slowly and in a very slightly less complete way) from the booted PE allright, as a matter of fact you only actually need to run the FORMAT command (from a PE based on Vista :ph34r: or later) to have a more than sufficient "wipe".

:cheers:
Wonko

#29 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:58 AM

as a matter of fact you only actually need to run the FORMAT command (from a PE based on Vista

:eek: What do you mean? Never heard of that before.

#30 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14135 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:19 PM

:eek: What do you mean? Never heard of that before.

The behaviour of FORMAT changed with Vista :ph34r:
In any NT based system up to XP/2003 the FORMAT command without switches would verify sectors during formatting (BUT NOT write to them if not for the few sectors holding the actual filesystem structures), while the /q (Quick) switch would skip this verifying.
Starting with Vista :ph34r: the FORMAT command without switches writes 00's to all sectors in a volume.
See:
http://www.msfn.org/...694#entry868694
and given link on MS KB:
http://support.micro...kb/941961/en-us

Since the FORMAT command is "volume oriented" (and NOT "disk oriented") only the range addressed by the volume will be wiped, which means that the "sectors before" (the usual 63 or 128 or 2048), the "trailing disk slack" (if the disk has been partitioned with the older CHS standard respecting cylinder boundaries) and any (eventual) gap between partitions and/or the "sectors before" of Extended Partion/Logical Volumes will not be affected (but normally they contain not any "sensible" data (or no data at all).
The only useful data that remains accessible is (depending on the filesystem used) the actual date/time when the FORMAT was performed (by decoding the volume serial where applicable and/or the filesystem structures), nothing really worrying, considering that you could well set the machine clock to anytime in the past or in the future before running the FORMAT command.
If before issuing the format command you re-partition the disk as being a single primary volume with the "full size", you will be sure to have not missed any possible "gaps" between partitions and/or sectors before the Extended/Logical... and you only have to "worry" about a bunch of initial sectors.

Wonko

#31 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:43 PM

Didn't knew that format behavior was changed. Thanks for the info!

#32 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14135 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

Didn't knew that format behavior was changed.

But didn't you ever notice the time it takes? :dubbio:
(or do you normally - as it should - run the format command with the /q switch?) :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info!

You are welcome :).

Wonko

#33 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:16 PM

But didn't you ever notice the time it takes? :dubbio:
(or do you normally - as it should - run the format command with the /q switch?) :thumbsup:

I usually only use Windows own functionality, during install of a fresh copy and that behavior hasn't changed.

btw. I only wipe drives, when i want to give the drive away. I'm just not the kind of guy, who would spy on himself. :lol:

#34 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14135 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:49 AM

I usually only use Windows own functionality, during install of a fresh copy and that behavior hasn't changed.

No, actually it has, of course if you use the diskpart FORMAT with the "quick" switch, it will work like "normal" format /q.

The good ol' XP didn't write 00's, not even in setup:
http://support.micro...kb/302686/en-us
but Vista :ph34r: and later should in any case (still if used without the Quick or /q switch)

Wonko

#35 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12701 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:05 AM

Amazing, how a simple question about a minimized Win7 PE leads to sophisticated discussions about formatting a disk.

Peter

#36 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14135 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:41 AM

Amazing, how a simple question about a minimized Win7 PE leads to sophisticated discussions about formatting a disk.

Yep :),
we are all waiting :dubbio: for a Windows 8 multiPE that boots:
http://reboot.pro/to...al/#entry163182
and we have to kill the time during the wait *somehow* ;).

Wonko

#37 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12701 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:32 PM

Yep :),
we are all waiting :dubbio: for a Windows 8 multiPE that boots:
http://reboot.pro/to...al/#entry163182
and we have to kill the time during the wait *somehow* ;).

Wonko

Attached File  win8PE_boot.gif   46.62KB   26 downloads
Peter :yahoo:

#38 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14135 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:46 PM

Attached File  win8PE_boot.gif   46.62KB   26 downloads
Peter :yahoo:

Good news! :cheerleader: :1st:

Wonko

#39 FesterJester

FesterJester

• Advanced user
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Many! Making computers do things they don't or aren't supposed to do is one of the top.
  •  
    United States

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:05 PM

Ok, so I guess I should clarify my statement about including a secure hdd erase program a little.
I currently use a bootable program called GWScan v5.12 to SMART test, surface scan, and fully erase drives.
I would like to find a similar tool to include in my PE disk to do the same.
Even if the tool doesn't erase the drives, I would like one to SMART test and perform surface and sector scans.

FJ

#40 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14135 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:20 PM

Ok, so I guess I should clarify my statement about including a secure hdd erase program a little.
I currently use a bootable program called GWScan v5.12 to SMART test, surface scan, and fully erase drives.
I would like to find a similar tool to include in my PE disk to do the same.
Even if the tool doesn't erase the drives, I would like one to SMART test and perform surface and sector scans.

Sure :), and noone wants you - in any way - to "force" you to not use a given app or using instead another one, everything is a matter of personal tastes, the point was only about the *need* of such an app.
The program you are now using is a DOS based tool, nothing prevents you from continuing using it, as a multi-boot option.
But you want to switch to a "within PE" solution, right?
As a "rule of thumb" any program that is "portable" will be more easily capable of running in a PE "as is" or with the least complications, but writing a plug-in (or .script) for *any* program is usually possible.
Personally I would try/use:
http://www.nirsoft.n...smart_view.html
for the SMART view (as it has a nice export feature)
For anything else Victoria for Windows is a very good program (and it can view SMART data, besides performing surface scan and other disk tests):
http://www.911cd.net...02
be aware that this is a VERY "powerful" program, make SURE you understand fully it's usage BEFORE attempting to use any of the "writing" operations, it is strongly suggested that you test it on an "expendable data" device to get familiar with it.
About erasing/wiping, as said:
http://reboot.pro/to...e-from-windows/
if you are after "really safe" erasing/wiping, but much more than that "faster" erasing/wiping, any DOS or Windows or Linux based tool NOT using the ATA "Safe Erase" will be slower.

Wonko

#41 Aye Htay

Aye Htay

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 163 posts
  •  
    Myanmar

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:16 PM

Interesting post. :loleverybody:
Posted Image

Edited manually.

Regards,

ah

#42 FesterJester

FesterJester

• Advanced user
  • 38 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:48 AM

@Wonko the Sane: I was going to add GWScan in the boot menu if I could not find a suitable software to include inside my PE.
I was looking at putting the WesternDigital, Seagate/Samsung, IBM/Hitachi, etc diagnostic programs, but I think that would be a little trouble as one would need to know the drive manufacturer before hand.

I will look at Vicoria, but at a glance it looks like it will fit my needs.

#43 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14135 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:00 AM

@Wonko the Sane: I was going to add GWScan in the boot menu if I could not find a suitable software to include inside my PE.
I was looking at putting the WesternDigital, Seagate/Samsung, IBM/Hitachi, etc diagnostic programs, but I think that would be a little trouble as one would need to know the drive manufacturer before hand.

I will look at Vicoria, but at a glance it looks like it will fit my needs.

Well, but given that each of those tools (the DOS version) is "self-standing" you could use them all, just replicating what UBCD does:
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Wonko

#44 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1373 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:08 PM

S.M.A.R.T is a general feature nowadays, it's hardware independend.
I like WD Windlg to S.M.A.R.T. diagnostic and to erase all magnetic hard disks.
Windlg is nice at a first glance, hard disk manufacturer isn't importand at this level.

Contrary if there is a error report, you have to look further details.

And historic DTemp is nice to view raw S.M.A.R.T. attributes.
Remember to listen to your hard disk in addition: get curious at a strange new noise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users