Elevator prank

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10544 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:05 AM

:)

#2 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4164 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:35 AM

Seems real, but i think they are actors. If a real person seeing the bottom of an elevator seeming to fall, would react differently. Like, trying to latch onto the bar and not scoot to the corners. As most of them did. Only three individual seemed to hold on to the bar a bit more then the others. The one in the beginning and the two guys later in the video. The more Survivalist of them all would have jumped or something trying to survive. The women would probably gone down the shaft as they all jumped to the corner for some reason. Dont know untill youre there what would be my reaction to such a thing.

#3 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:17 PM

The point you're missing is, that their brains get contradictory information.
It looks like the bottom is falling, but the feet still report solid ground and logic dictates, that the bottom can't just be falling off.

This situation is in no way comparable to a situation, where all the senses report the bottom is indeed falling off.

The interesting thing to me was, that noone tried to stand on the supports struts. The only seemingly stable part of the bottom.

:cheers:

#4 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14793 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:46 AM

Seems real, but i think they are actors.

Actually it seems like a real commercial. (in the sense of NOT a real prank)
Whether they use actors in Commercials is debatable (in the sense that people that gets paid to act in Commercials often are not "actors" ;))

@Medevil
Logic has little to do (not enough time) with instinctual reactions, but you are perfectly right :thumbsup:, think how much money they could have saved in training airplane pilots by NOT building "real" flight simulators (capable of reproducing besides the "visual" part and cloche/pedals feedback also the acceleration/deceleration/vibrations/etc. feelings).

Wonko

#5 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:49 PM

Yep, and still one can't get the same stress reaction from a pilot, sitting in a crashing simulator. than from one sitting in a crashing plane.

Just knowing, that nothing bad can happen, makes all the difference.

It's sort of like trying to tickle oneself. The brain knows where and how you will be tickled, before you even do it.

#6 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14793 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:30 PM

Yep, and still one can't get the same stress reaction from a pilot, sitting in a crashing simulator. than from one sitting in a crashing plane.

Well, as a matter of fact the issue is that there are not enough studies on the latter, particularly because of lacking of volunteers .... ;). (besides the actual monetary costs :ph34r:)

Wonko

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users